Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: music player that does Tivo-style skip forward/backward?

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Basic controls such as pause/play, next track, and previous track work, but no you can't skip ahead 30 seconds using headphone controls or the Pebble.
    Would it be possible to give us an option to change the BLUETOOTHNEXT and BLUETOOTHPREVIOUS controls to control the skip functions instead of next and previous? Or maybe just globally change the next previous functions to skip back/forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolokid View Post
    Would it be possible to give us an option to change the BLUETOOTHNEXT and BLUETOOTHPREVIOUS controls to control the skip functions instead of next and previous? Or maybe just globally change the next previous functions to skip back/forward?
    I'm not sure how many people would want to use this type of option. I would think most people like the ability to skip tracks (vs. fast forwarding or backward through the track).

My goal is to only add configurable settings that I believe a decent number of people would use. Prior to developing my app, I used several of the other major music apps and one of the things I disliked about some of them were their bloated preferences screens. So while Music Player (Remix) does have a good number of customization options, I don't want it to become too bloated.

So when considering possible additions to the app preferences, I definitely consider how valuable it will be to a majority of my users. I just don't think many people will use this setting.

I understand. I agree most wouldn't use it for music.. but I transfer smart playlists of podcasts from my itunes library. For that purpose I think there would be many more people using that feature, but as your app name suggests, it's primarily for music.

Thank you for the quick replies.

I've found Ginkgo Audio Book Player.

Probably the best choice for your purposes.

I don't see any playlist support in Ginkgo.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm not sure how many people would want to use this type of option. I would think most people like the ability to skip tracks (vs. fast forwarding or backward through the track).

My goal is to only add configurable settings that I believe a decent number of people would use. Prior to developing my app, I used several of the other major music apps and one of the things I disliked about some of them were their bloated preferences screens. So while Music Player (Remix) does have a good number of customization options, I don't want it to become too bloated.

So when considering possible additions to the app preferences, I definitely consider how valuable it will be to a majority of my users. I just don't think many people will use this setting..
    Hello again Dan,

Congratulations on the new update. After reading about it, I of course was hoping for Bluetooth controls of the skip functionality, forgetting about our previous dialogue. I didn't remember if my conversation was about Music Player (Remix) or a different app. I then searched and discovered that it was in fact about that particular app. Anyway, after reading your comment again about how you don't think anyone would appreciate that feature, it made me think about this very forum that it was posted in. Clearly some of us care about that feature, hence the reason for this thread, not to mention it already being a feature in your app. It would be hard for me to believe that anyone who uses a 30 seconds skip feature would not appreciate being able to trigger it from their Bluetooth headphones or smartwatch. I learned about that functionality from a single app on my iPhone and luckily I was able to find it on Android... again, with only one single app. It would sure be nice to not have to rely on a sole app for that and Music Player (Remix) which is seemingly a very nice and well-designed app one that I personally would think a Bluetooth trigger would fit in perfectly. I do understand your point about not having a bloated or overly complicated app... and it's certainly valid.

Anyway, just my two cents. As I said, it's a nice app and congrats again on the well-publicized update.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolokid View Post
    Clearly some of us care about that feature, hence the reason for this thread, not to mention it already being a feature in your app. It would be hard for me to believe that anyone who uses a 30 seconds skip feature would not appreciate being able to trigger it from their Bluetooth headphones or smartwatch.
    The purpose of this thread was asking for TIVO-like skip controls within the app (which Music Player (Remix) has), not via bluetooth. So far you're the only one in the thread who's asked for 30-second skip control via bluetooth. Like I said, I prefer to work on features that a larger number of people would be interested in. I already have a huge to-do list that I keep knocking down with each release, but it also keeps growing so I have to be selective with which features I add to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    So far so good.

A couple times the app has reset a track back to the beginning -- I had it paused in the middle, and when I return to the app, I find it's at the beginning of the track instead of where I left it. Everything I listen to is in the form of 30-minute tracks (from an audio archiving system) so it's pain to lose my place. I haven't found a pattern as to when it does this exactly, but it's happened to me at least twice. A more severe version of this is actually what drove me away from tinyPlayer. If you can't find the bug or explain it, I'll appreciate your help in working with me to isolate it if it returns.

What does the "follow song" preference do? I found it in the settings somewhere, and turned it off thinking it might take care of the above problem, but now I can't find the setting. Which leads me to ... you should have all of the settings in one place.

You ABSOLUTELY should have a welcome screen that explains the basics, and those basics should be repeated in the help section, and should be repeated AGAIN (in FAQ form) in the FAQ section. For example, the very first FAQ should be "where are the play and pause buttons"?

Besides the transparent buttons, and the "hidden" slideout menus, are there any other secret UI elements? Perhaps press-and-hold popup menu functionality? All should be documented in app.

I'll buy the app this week. Congratulations on making a great app that does exactly what I want, including the Tivo-style FF and RW, and lock screen integration!
    So many time passed and I want to advise you to get back to Astro Player. It has changed greatly since then. Now you will never loose the place where you listened your music as it always remembers the place you stopped listening. Also there are advanced bookmarks that can be made automatically. Just turn this feature on.
    As for the ff/rw I suggest you to use another skin. There is a plain skin that has such buttons by default and are set to 10sec. You may also change the duration of that jump in settings.
    And feel free to ask any questions!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12