How to Sync EVO / Android with iTunes

aweedman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm writing this to hopefully help the next person choose a program to sync their Evo to Itunes. Here were my progression of steps:

1 - Doubletwist. This seems to be the gold standard to sync Android to the Evo. I tried it previously with my Palm Pre. I don't remember at that point if I was on Vista or Windows 7. It worked fine before. However, now the initial scan of my iTunes drive was taking hours. I mean a long, long, time. If I had let it finish I might have taken days.

2 - Tunesync. It seemed like a great concept, being able to sync over wi-fi. Only $4 as well. I tried it out but couldn't get it to work over my network. It wants to you unblock port 9090 and to be honest, I have no idea how to configure my router to do this. I've had other programs that work over a wi-fi network that seem to figure this all out without having to muck around in the router.

3 - Songbird. I had this on my computer already. I don't use it as a media player but I love the functionality where it tells you what bands in your playlist are coming to your area. Songbird can be configured to show all of your Itunes playlists. However, the smart playlists don't show. No big deal - similar functionality is available directly in Songbird. However, after syncing to the Evo it gives a message saying that it couldn't convert .m4a files. Since many of my songs are in this format, Songbird wouldn't work.

4 - Media Monkey. You need to buy the full version for Smart Playlists. Sorry.

5 - Winamp. The Smart Playlist functionality didn't seem to be able to be configured the way that I wanted.

6 - Itunes Agent. This program was a little complicated to set up but it worked great. My playlist synced over to the Evo. However, it didn't sync over the Playlist names. So, if you want more than one playlist you can't listen to them as they appear in Itunes on the Evo.

7 - Salling Media Sync. This was the one. Everything synced perfectly, just the way I wanted it.

Hope this helps someone else!

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
+2 for Isyncr.

It became my 3rd paid app (after BetterCut and WeatherBug). Well worth the money. I tried DoubleTwist (ugh, slow and nothing but errors for me) and TuneSync (neat concept, but troubleshooting the connection sapped my energy). Isyncr is cheap, and it just works...flawlessly.

Try the free version (that's what I did). It is awesome. After that, it is SO easy to change playlists now. And it is fast.

my two cents.

K--

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I had problems with double twist. Someone just suggested to just drag and drop the files to the directory on my phone. I did that and now I used cubed (3). I love the app, it plays what I want and I love the interface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC