Google Voice...telemarketers?

gtshouse

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I finally received an invitation to Google Voice two days ago and set it up to use for voicemail only on my Droid. Today, I received the first telemarketer call I have ever had on my cell phone. I didn't recognize the number so I sent it to voicemail. They wanted me to call to lower the interest rate on an account I don't have.

In five years, not one single telemarketer call. Start using Google Voice, get a call.

I never give my cell number out to anyone I don't know personally...just family, friends, and clients. I have never, not once, entered it on any web page except for signing up to Google Voice.

Coincidence? Has this happened to anyone else?

acidsamuraix

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Did you get a Google voice number, or simply use your existing one? If you got another number, then anyone could have had it before you, and you are essentially on any list they were on. It's just how phone numbers get recycled now.

When i first got my own line on Verizon, I was receiving BS text messages from a "service" in south america somewhere. They billed me 20 bucks on my first bill before i could get Verizon to cancel it, just because someone who had my number before me probably texted some tv commercial.

If you didnt get a GV number though, then i dunno. I've had it for about a week now and havent gotten any calls to my GV number other than people i know.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have had a GV number since it was Grand Central (before Google bought it) and never had a telemarketer call on it.

gtshouse

May 14, 2010
Visit site
That's good. From everyone's experience, it sounds like it is just a coincidence. I was worried that I would start receiving a lot of unsolicited calls.
Thanks everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair