K-9 mail not getting the mail

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Evo (and new to Android) for about 10 days and got K-9 mail a few days ago, primarily for the integrated inbox. I've got two accounts set up for my school account (one is my primary email, the other for listservs and such). At this point my gmail isn't set up in K-9.

At first it seemed to work just fine. The last few days it hasn't seen messages. My main computer in my office is POP3, delete messages from server, so there are generally no remaining messages on the server when that is running. I shut it down when I leave the office. So this morning there were no messages in K-9 but I checked the server with webmail see messages there that K-9 doesn't show. (In K-9 I also try Menu/Check Mail and nothing comes)

I did remove the accounts from the default email app.... does that matter?

Any suggestions?

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
IMAP

Haven't done anything on the server side.... so I'm polling? With K-9 open, I can go to the menu and CHECK MAIL and not find anything, get to the office with Outlook and find 27 from a listserv.

On the other hand, I just sent 3 from gmail to me and all three came just fine.

Seems to work sometimes..... just very inconsistent.

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you certain another app (or another computer) isn't grabbing the emails before K-9 can grab them?

Did you make any changes to the folder classing?

You could try deleting the account and reentering it, but it sounds like something is amiss.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I've never had K9 sync perfectly. My Pre and Pixi did push mail no problem for aol and yahoo. My k9 error inbox was plentiful. I went back to HTC's mail. Miss webOS email. K9 is clunkier than vanilla android and HTC's doesn't have an integrated inbox and can't push. Kinda sad that google still gives the red carpet treatment to gmail while everything else suffers. There should be one email app from android to do it all properly instead of relying on 3rd parties. email is standard functionality for a smartphone, not a privilege or luxury.

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure no other computers are getting to it. My home laptop is also IMAP, and the only POP3 that deletes from the server is at my office.

I did notice at the top of the K-9 screen that it says "Polling off" but I don't see any setting anywhere to change that.

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not one of the option.

There is only background sync and the options there are "When background data is checked" "When background data and auto-sync are checked" "Always" and "Never"

Also I see no option about background data

That is the option ;)

It controls how K-9 behaves according to the sync settings on the phone.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I liked K-9 mail for my gmail and work exchange account. But found it very fricken picky with exchange. I had to use either the stock mail app or Touchdown. I took off K-9 till it becomes more reliable.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never had K9 sync perfectly. My Pre and Pixi did push mail no problem for aol and yahoo. My k9 error inbox was plentiful. I went back to HTC's mail. Miss webOS email. K9 is clunkier than vanilla android and HTC's doesn't have an integrated inbox and can't push. Kinda sad that google still gives the red carpet treatment to gmail while everything else suffers. There should be one email app from android to do it all properly instead of relying on 3rd parties. email is standard functionality for a smartphone, not a privilege or luxury.

I'm not sure you can blame K9 for the fact that AOL does not support push. Your Pre and Pixi did polling for AOL, and you can set the same in K9.

Not ALL imap servers support Imap IdleD. IdleD is the push portion for imap.

If you turn on Imap support in Gmail settings you can also get idleD support from Gmail and handle it with K9 as well.

AOL only supports push with their own application, and its activesync, not imap. My phone has a mail application. How do I get my Yahoo! Mail messages in it? | Yahoo! Mobile Help

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
My mail arrives on my Pre/Pixi "as items arrive". In fact mail gets to the Pre quicker than it gets to aol's website. So this polling you speak of doesn't apply. And my beef wasn't with K9 for push it was for how well it syncs. My inbox rarely matched up with what was on webmail, and often hitting more messages would just make it go wonky often giving me no mail. It just doesn't sync well which is what I said. I said nothing about push and k9. That was in reference to Google and HTC's implementation of mail. Heck, vanilla android doesn't even have folder support. HTC adds that, but they stop short of push.

I'm sure WP7 will have equal support for all types of mail as does webOS. Google needs to get off their gmail high horse and make all equal. K9 is a nice alternative for some extra functionality, but some of it should be standard in the OS.

And apparently you don't know your AOL from your yahoo based off of what you say and what you link to. And AOL pushes just fine, and is IMAP. You might want to get your thoughts a bit more organized next time.
I'm not sure you can blame K9 for the fact that AOL does not support push. Your Pre and Pixi did polling for AOL, and you can set the same in K9.

Not ALL imap servers support Imap IdleD. IdleD is the push portion for imap.

If you turn on Imap support in Gmail settings you can also get idleD support from Gmail and handle it with K9 as well.

AOL only supports push with their own application, and its activesync, not imap. My phone has a mail application. How do I get my Yahoo! Mail messages in it? | Yahoo! Mobile Help

Last edited: