HELP! Notification Bar Ads!

Biopsidy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
So recently, I have received two push notifications to my notification bar that are advertising two games from 808Games. Now, I've NEVER downloaded either of the two apps from this company and when using apps like Lookout to try to find out what app is sending me these ads it comes back with nothing.

This is really annoying, as I don't even know what started causing this. I'm pretty particular about what I download from the store, only staying with major developers, so I'm a little setback at what's causing this on my phone and I also wonder if this is being sent remotely or if it's something running on the phone (meaning: if I wipe my phone will I still get these notifications?).

Any help would be appreciated.

brendilon

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue recently. I heard that GO Keyboard can cause it, but didn't have that app so I downloaded Addons Detector from Play. Turns out it was GO Contacts, which stinks since I liked that app. I told GO exactly what I thought of their push notifications and uninstalled the app.

In short, dowload and run Addons Detector, it will tell you who the offender is.

Biopsidy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded that app and still coming back with zero results. Interestingly, though, I do have Go Contacts on my phone. Did they do an update recently or something that added that? Will try uninistalling and see if I continue to get the notifications.

Update:
I had to turn on the notifications part of the app and then I did a rescan and it seems you may be correct. Go Contacts is showing up under Push Notifications. Ah well, I'm liking ExDialer more anyway. Bye bye Go Contacts.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
That's weird. GO must have added them recently...I used to use all the GO products until maybe 2 months ago and never had a problem with push ads.

brendilon

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd been using them for a year until about a week ago when the push crap first showed up. It sucks, I really like GO Contacts.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Download the Air push app from the play store and it'll find what app is causing your notification bar ads

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: EvilTessmacher

Biopsidy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
That's weird. GO must have added them recently...I used to use all the GO products until maybe 2 months ago and never had a problem with push ads.

As far as I can tell it was snuck into their update that was on June 26. I haven't really "dug" into the update notes, but just skimming through it real quick I didn't see any mention of ads anywhere. If you look at their most recent reviews in Google Play you'll see all the 1 stars that just started popping up complaining about the ads. Go hasn't seem to respond just yet.

I am liking ExDialer more right now despite not having hardly any themes (the default themes are simple and nicely designed though) and it also seems to run smoother and launch quicker on my Gingerbread Rezound.

Only Go product I still use is Go SMS, which I definitely like a lot more than everything else. Hopefully they don't ad notifications to that or at least offer a pay option (who knows, maybe that's what they are really trying to do... annoy you with ads and then release a pay version).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers