K-9 Mail not showing "old" messages

Super Dave

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

New to the forums here, new Android user! Just got my HTC EVO 4G a few days ago and am still figuring everything out. :) Loving the phone, though!

I got the K-9 Mail (version 2.801) program from the marketplace, and it's soooooooo much better than the stock E-Mail program that comes with the phone. Some kind of documentation for it would have been nice, but by playing with it, I think I've been able to figure out what most of the functions/settings do. However, one thing that I can't seem to get around - I've Googled and everything else I could think of - it doesn't seem to display mail in a mailbox that's dated beyond a certain date.

I'm using IMAP because I've got several different procmail-sorted folders on my home mail system, and I've got it set to show 100 messages. This is in a mail folder that has close to 1000 messages in it, so you'd think that it would have plenty to show, and shouldn't have problems bringing up those most recent 100 messages. (This is the same for other mail folders that have considerably less mail in them.) The only thing I can think of is that it's not showing them because of the dates being beyond a certain point. New messages arriving in the mailboxes in question show up in K-9 just fine. Even if I use Thunderbird on my desktop to read the mail first and not delete it, when K-9 polls, those new messages show up. But other messages aren't showing up, and I can only think it has something to do with the "age" of the message.

I've given up trying to find the answer to this myself. :) Is there a way to tell K-9 to show x messages (where "x" is the number selected from the menus) regardless of how "old" they are?

Thanks for any help!

--Dave

jrcbandit

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have this same issue with K9 and gave up and uninstalled it. I got it to display older messages once, but then I ended up resetting my device and exchanging my phone for a new unit. In both instances, I could no longer get K9 to show any messages older than 2-3 weeks no matter which settings I selected.

I ended up using the default mail client for the EVO. If you select mail from the app list, it will give multiple options for connection type, including IMAP. It displays older messages just fine - I went with showing the last 100 messages but there is also a setting to show all messages.

Super Dave

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Admittedly, I only played with the stock mail app for a bit before deciding that I needed something better. However, while I was doing that, I couldn't seem to find support for a mailbox folder other than "Inbox," and couldn't find any support for multiple identities.

As mentioned, I'm using this to access my home mail system. That system is a Linux box sitting in my computer room at home that is running a mail server. I've got scripts running for my user account on that box that collects my mail from my various addresses (none of which are Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail) and then sorts that mail into various folders according to various criteria. Therefor, I need a mail app that doesn't just support "Inbox" for whatever account you set up, and it needs to support multiple identities so that when I reply to a message which was sent to one address, my reply comes *from* that same E-Mail address and not a different one.

So, did I miss something in the stock E-Mail app? Is there a way to do these two things in the stock mail app? If not, I'll just have to keep muddling about with K-9 until either I find another mail app that does all this and doesn't have an artificially-imposed date restriction on displaying mail, or the K-9 folks come to their senses and remove that restriction (in which case the update will be most welcome). :)

--Dave