An app to keep all your Membership cards

MultiMatt

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
A friend showed me an iPhone app that held all his membership cards (Costco, Kroger, Borders, etc), including the bar code for scanning. A search of App Brain found some mediocre apps.

Anyone know of one they recommend for Android?

Thanks!

jawa6969

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Good idea but it is kinda embarrassing when you whip out your phone for them to scan and no matter what they can not get it to read the barcode. Two different apps would not work. I know they could read off the number but thats not really the point of the app.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how switching apps helps. Either the scanner can scan your screen or it can't. An app won't change your screen's inherent characteristics. Though some barcode scanners seem to work better than others. See if the cashier can try the handheld scanner to see if it helps.

Personally, I just use the option to supply my phone number in cases where I even want to deal with these ridiculous store card programs. Ideally, I just avoid such stores. Can't wait for the HEB in my neighborhood so I can stop bothering with Kroger.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I use cardstar, which has a setting that cranks up the brightness when ou choose a card. This seems to help in letting the scanners read the barcode.

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The scanner problem is due to the glass on your device. The laser scanners (Hand scanners) tend to have problems, while the optical scanners (the flat type) can usually read them just fine. At the very least I have my numbers readily available without tons of cards/keychain thingys.

boomhower1820

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
It also helps to turn down the screen brightness to low and obviously give your screen a good wipe. The handheld scanners work much better as well.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Cardstar. I've found that it works great and haven't had a problem scanning. I used to have it on my Blackberry and I'm happy I found it for android.

BrickAlley

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I used Cardstar on my iPhone for over a year and was pretty satisfied. Now I'm using Cardstar on my EVO and in my experience the hand held scanners have always worked better than the flatbed ones. I'd like to hear more opinions, so maybe we can figure out a way to get better results.

easy1jay

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Remember, if you have problems with scanning, you always have the code number printed bellow the barcode that can be entered manually by you or the cashier.

Dirt Mcgirt

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
So brightness up or down to get a decent scan of the card? I just downloaded the app and they couldnt swipe using a handheld at Blockbuster and a flat at a grocery store.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
don't most stores use your phone number these days so you don't have to carry around that silly card anymore?

i'm a minimalist and don't shop much regardless.

Dirt Mcgirt

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
don't most stores use your phone number these days so you don't have to carry around that silly card anymore?

i'm a minimalist and don't shop much regardless.

Yea, but sometimes the phone number doesnt get recognized and they end up putting in a store card for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez