Lets talk podcast managers

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
OK. I've seen several polls and other threads but am having trouble finding a podcast manager that is right for me. I've tried several of the more popular free ones and none seem to have all of the features I'm after. I am willing to spend money on one, and am going to start trying the ones that have full feature - time limited trials, but I don't want to start dropping money on apps I'll later be dissatisfied with. If it helps, I'm moving from Dr. Podder on the Palm Pre, just got the Galaxy S3 yesterday.

Features I'm looking for:
  • Must have
    1. Ability to manually add rss/atom feeds - sometimes I listen to feeds from podiobooks, serialized full length audiobooks, which as far as I know are not in any of the "normal" podcast directories.
    2. Per feed settings for auto download/number of episodes to download - some feeds I want to keep the four most recent un-listened to episodes so if I've listened to episodes 20, 21, and 22 I want the app to know to get 18, 19, 23, and 24. This is so I can listen to the newest episodes while catching up on the old episodes, great for music podcasts.
      Other feeds I only want to download episodes manually, and other feeds I want all un-listened to episodes.
    3. As number 2 implies,it should keep track of what episodes I have listened to.
  • Nice to have
    1. Halfway decent forward/backward skipping - for those times I try/fail to study spanish.
    2. Ability to import OPML file so I don't have to enter all my feeds by hand.
    3. Other per feed settings - Delete when finished/hide podcast files from system (so they don't show up in other media players), etc.
    4. Full featured trial version. So I can check it out before committing $
    5. Good price. I'm willing to spend money but obviously the lower the better ;)

I appreciate any advice you are willing to share.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know how to get the AC podcast to work on google listen? yes i followed phills youtube vid on how to do it but it didnt work that way lol. i have to download the file manualy

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
does anyone know how to get the AC podcast to work on google listen? yes i followed phills youtube vid on how to do it but it didnt work that way lol. i have to download the file manualy

By the way, I can't find Google Listen in the Play store and every link I can find to it is dead. Did Google kill off listen or just hide it really well?

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
IV been using beyond pod for a while and even bought the premium edition. It has a full featured trial

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Listen is, indeed, missing from the Play Store. It looks to have been pulled out; maybe a new, better, offering is en route?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
wow. yeah, just checked and its been removed in the UK too! anyone know if its a law-suit thing? i havent heard (read) anything about it...

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Google killed it, looks like. Main Page post has more on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

pdl2mtl90

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes Listen has been killed. I use the paid edition of BeyondPod as well and love it. While I don't do everything you do, I know it does several of the things that you listed. Give the 7 day trial a try.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions, off to start trying things.

Did you find a player? I recently started listening to podcast and gave Beyond Pod so try. I'm interested to know what you are using and what was worthy when you were searching for a player.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Did you find a player? I recently started listening to podcast and gave Beyond Pod so try. I'm interested to know what you are using and what was worthy when you were searching for a player.

Thanks for asking. For now I have settled on MyPOD. The free version is limited to 10 feeds but that is fine for my use.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I like how Listen saved the podcasts so they didn't show up in any music players.

Do any other podcast managers do this? I've tried BeyondPod but was disappointed when podcasts showed up in Google Music.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for asking. For now I have settled on MyPOD. The free version is limited to 10 feeds but that is fine for my use.

I've been using PodTrapper since my Blackberry days and on my Thunderbolt for almost 2 years. The developer and his wife had a baby and he doesn't seem to devote much time to it anymore but it works great and does everything you want it to do. Here's a link to the DETAILS page on his website with screenshots and there is a free trial available. (Ignore the Blackberry part, there's an Android version on there too.)

PodTrapper - The Podcast Manager for BlackBerry and Android | VersatileMonkey.com

*Update, I just checked the Forums on the web site. The developer posted in October that he was getting back to working on his apps and an updated version of PodTrapper is in the works. All updates since I have owned it have been free. When I moved from Blackberry to Android he swapped my license out for free.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I like how Listen saved the podcasts so they didn't show up in any music players.

Do any other podcast managers do this? I've tried BeyondPod but was disappointed when podcasts showed up in Google Music.

MyPOD doesn't show the downloads in the Play Music app. I think that is one of the reasons I didn't go with BeyondPod

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I've been using PodTrapper since my Blackberry days and on my Thunderbolt for almost 2 years. The developer and his wife had a baby and he doesn't seem to devote much time to it anymore but it works great and does everything you want it to do. Here's a link to the DETAILS page on his website with screenshots and there is a free trial available. (Ignore the Blackberry part, there's an Android version on there too.)

PodTrapper - The Podcast Manager for BlackBerry and Android | VersatileMonkey.com

*Update, I just checked the Forums on the web site. The developer posted in October that he was getting back to working on his apps and an updated version of PodTrapper is in the works. All updates since I have owned it have been free. When I moved from Blackberry to Android he swapped my license out for free.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

This is very good news to hear. Thanks for the update as I was always a little disappointed that the developer ceased to work on and update the app. I'll keep my eye out for the updated version. PodTrapper is one of the best out there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Didn't want to start a new thread, but is there anything like Downcast for Android? I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Note 2 yesterday and miss Google Listen. I used to use it back in the day when the Nexus One came out. I've tried these other ones but they seem more complicated or full of ads. MyPod is limited to 10 feeds but still shows ads! I don't mind paying for good apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae