Transferring photos from camera to external HDD using USB hub.

TheAtlantian

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I am going on vacation to Spain for 3 weeks and I was thinking of leaving my laptop at home. I am going to be taking a lot of pictures and video (1080p60) with my camera so the 32 GB memory card in it won't be enough.

I have a Sony Xperia S (Android 2.3.7). I gave my mother my HTC Evo 3D (Android 4.0) so if I really need an Android 4.0 device I could borrow her smartphone.

I have a 3 TB external HDD and I was thinking of taking it along with a powered USB hub. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the Xperia S to transfer files from the camera (card is formatted as FAT32) to the external HDD (will be formatted as FAT32) using the USB hub? Would I need an app to do this or will it be able to do this out of the box?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love my laptop (it has a quad-core Intel i7 CPU, discrete GPU, and 8 GB of RAM) but I am trying to travel light for this trip (a first for me) so I was hoping I could leave it at home.

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transferring photos from camera to external HDD using USB hub

I'd like to try that, too. Also, I'd like to find out if I could use a powered hub with the phone and have the phone be charging from that while I'm using a keyboard and external drive with the phone.