2 Googe Voice Numbers...

godsidekurt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so Ive done some research already and havent been able to figure out how to accomplish my goal. I want to get a second gvoice line to use for work...however I ONLY plan on using it for text messages. I do have TWO gmail accounts which can be accessed separately...so I followed the prompts to get a new GVoice number from the account that doesnt have a Gvoice number...however I get to the step where you need to enter a backup phone and also will have to chose if your number is: home, work or mobile. Ive read that if I choose anything other than mobile I will NOT receive texts. So can I use my work phone number (landline) and check the mobile box? Im assuming they check that out???? If not any ideas how I could get a second line and simply access it from a computer or ipad app? Again I dont need the voice part of it at all.

Thanks for any help...

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Part of the issue is that you can only use one mobile number per GV number. But, you don't have to have a mobile number associated with the GV number (you can link it to a home or work number). Of course, those numbers will not have text messages forwarded to them.

But, you can load the Google Voice app onto your phone/tablet and the app will receive the text messages. It won't do phone calls (unless you use something like GrooveIP), but the text messages will be received, and you can send them via the app, too.

The only downside is that if you are using the Google Voice app for your main number, you won't be able to have a second install for the second number. You can only have one GV account per device. But, if you are installing GV on a tablet, it can be linked to the second number.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01