Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #76  

Default Re: [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

In case Devs are reading this...
    If you want to implement Global Badge Notifications (Unread # on all Apps that produce Notifications) without creating your own code, the Dev of "Missed It" just released a tutorial for Devs to hook into his App-> http://igecelabs.net/missed-it/shared_elements_api

A couple other Apps (Nova Launcher & Launcher8 ) already hook into Missed It! & it works great!

To Users of Launchers that don't support GLOBAL Badge Notifications, feel free to point their Devs to the link above.
    Global Badge Notifications in my opinion is something all Launchers should offer as an option, so this could hopefully be a step towards that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #77  

***ANNOUNCEMENT***

Glovebox now also supports MissedIt! as of Glovebox version 3.2.32

It's currently in testing, so to get the BETA, you'll need to be part of the Google+ BETA Community for Glovebox--> https://plus.google.com/communities/...19992031882395

Once you've got the update, to activate Global Badge Notifications, within Glovebox, go to Settings--> Unread Count--> Provider--> MissedIt!
    Then, whatever App you've got docked within Glovebox will show a Badge Notification!

Just be sure that the App you want tracked on Glovebox is also in MissedIt's "Shared Elements" section.

From the first paragraph, it seems like Android does offer badges for the basic apps (SMS/ Gmail/ Missed Calls). I've had only iPhones for the last 4 years, so I'm missing the badges desperately. However, I only really want them for texts and emails. I've got the all new HTC One M8. Is there a way I can have badges for just SMS/ Gmail/ calls? I've searched in the internet for hours, but all I can find is info on global badges. Thanks!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #79  

Quote Originally Posted by ashaux View Post
    ...I've got the all new HTC One M8. Is there a way I can have badges for just SMS/ Gmail/ calls?...
    First off, congrats on the M8 - great looking phone!

As to your question, it'll depend on the Launcher.
    Many OEM Launchers support SMS/Calls/EMail however just for their built-in Apps.
    I'm unfamiliar with the one used on the M8, but likely, no, unfortunately. Not if you use the stock Sense Launcher.
    Nova Launcher & many others do if all you want is the 3 Apps you named if you don't want to use the method I outlined requiring "Missed It!".

Ah. Well, I'll give one of those launchers a try. It's all incredibly new to me, but I'm still glad I made the switch. Even without the badges, I love the M8. Thank you for your help!

This is one thing that I am very surprised Android doesn't cover.

I believe the Samsung S5 and Note 3 allow for email notification badges natively but not Nexus 5?!?!?! That will be a point of contention when I look at purchasing a phone again.

I'm looking to put this on my Nexus 5 but I'm really looking for something that is invisible and runs in the background.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #82  

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_CS View Post
    I believe the Samsung S5 and Note 3 allow for email notification badges natively but not Nexus 5?!?!?!
    I'm looking to put this on my Nexus 5 but I'm really looking for something that is invisible and runs in the background.
    I do wish Google did it on their own though. They do provide SMS/GMail/Call data which is how other Apps display counts for those Apps.

Samsung & other OEM's display SMS/EMail/Calls, however, only via their built-in Apps, not 3rd-party Apps.
    So if for example you want it for GMail, GO SMS & another Dialer App you've downloaded, the Badge Counts won't always display.

As for something "invisible", MissedIt can be used without its Widget on Nova Launcher, Launcher8 & the other Apps I listed.
    That way you never see MissedIt it - you'll only see the Notification Counts.

Yeah I only use the stock email and dialer apps... for texting on my Nexus 5 I use Textra though as that seems to have the features that I like best.

I've cracked the screen on this Nexus 5 (which I got back in November) so I am debating on what device to get next. I like the Nexus 5, it's streamlined for sure and I'm now used to navigating it but the S5 just seems to have all the same features plus the stuff I was used to with my iphone (badge notifications etc).
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #84  

the S5 just seems to have all the same features plus the stuff I was used to with my iphone (badge notifications etc).
    Keep in mind the S5 has Badge Notifications for only 3 Apps on its own VS any Android device (including the S5) using MissedIt.
    I install Nova Launcher, Widget Locker & MissedIt on all my Android devices to achieve GLOBAL Badge Notifications (like on iOS).

I seem to have gotten it set up. 4$ for the Prime and 1.50 for the MissedIt app... Not overly bad. I've been fiddling with it and slowly have the icon badges I want set up. The one thing I notice DOESN'T work (or at least I couldn't get it to work) was the "Okay Google" voice search. The search bar is there but voice activation doesn't work for it. Also you know on the Google Launcher when you scroll to the left and you get your weather and updates? That isn't shown either. Ideas?

For those who may read this in the future to set this up. Okay Google is the one thing that you won't get as it appears to be native to the Google Experience Launcher home screens and they haven't made it available for third party developers.

Also, if you have more than one account (I have two) the email badge counter will misread the number of emails you have. If I receive 1 email it counts it as two because it is also counting my Combined View mailbox in addition to whatever account has the email in it. I'm still troubleshooting that issue. Other than that, its pretty cool.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #87  

The one thing I notice DOESN'T work...was the "Okay Google" voice search.
    Also you know on the Google Launcher when you scroll to the left and you get your weather and updates?
    Correct, Nova Launcher doesn't have either as both are only accessible via the Google Now Launcher.
    I was never a fan of the "Ok Google" voice activation so that doesn't matter to me.
    Also, swiping up on the [HOME] button accesses the Google Now cards quicker than swiping all the way to the left, so that didn't matter to me either.

Nova Prime has a lot of customization features making it worth it for me to not miss anything from the Google Now Launcher.

If however, you absolutely want the Google Now Launcher AND Global Badge Notifications via MissedIt, there's an Xposed Framework Module for that (though it requires a slightly outdated version of both GNL & Search. When/If it's updated to support the most recent versions, I'll write about it. Until then, if you're interested, I'd suggest checking out the Xposed Framework Google+ Community.

Nawww I'm getting used to the Nova Launcher.

One thing I am experiencing is double counts on my email and sometimes on my Textra texts... I have two email accounts in the stock email app and each one has its own mailbox but there is also a COMBINED VIEW mailbox. So if one email account receives a single email it counts it twice because it will show up as unread in the combined view. Any idea around that? As for the double texts? I have no damn idea since there is only one text coming in unless it is counting it from Hangouts (which I don't use).

I think I have the Textra double count issue solved but have no idea how to solve the damn email counter issue on the Nexus 5 stock email app.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    Might be "owned" by Apple though...
    At least it's doable.
    If I'm not mistaken, Blackberry uses global notification badges as well as Apple.

I've been reading through this thread and by the end of it pretty overwhelmed, especially with all of the updated launchers being posted that are now supporting different compatibility.. so I'm not sure what would work best for me or my girlfriend's phone. We're both running 4.4.2 but I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and she's using an S5.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #91  

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa Lauren View Post
    I'm not sure what would work best for me or my girlfriend's phone. We're both running 4.4.2 but I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and she's using an S5.
    Hi Marissa, yes Blackberry & iOS both have built-in GLOBAL Badge Notifications, something Android should have, but doesn't which is why I created this thread.
    Personally, I'd recommend sticking with Nova.
    The original post has all the info you need.

If you get stuck on a particular step, feel free to comment here & I'll be happy to help, or send me a private message & I'll do the same.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234