[HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Since many of my Android friends seemed to not be aware Android was able to do it (for more than just SMS / GMail / Missed Calls / GTalk) and I couldn't really find a resource online, I figured I'd post a quick guide to getting GLOBAL Badge Notifications (little red # indicating how many Notifications each App has displayed on the individual App icons) working on Android.
Here's an example:
d8da1d82-4bde-6d63.jpg

d8da1da7-5edd-40b2.jpg

QzPjEN2.png

d7Yi2hg.jpg

yuJVTBX.png

Admittedly it's the one iOS feature I wish Android supported natively & from the get-go (though might be "owned" by Apple) so I was super stoked when I figured this out & got it working on my GNex!

Here's what you need (other than a device running ICS & up):
-Nova Launcher--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&token=97i4aUOY
-Nova Launcher Prime--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.teslacoilsw.launcher.prime&token=g6837p1G
(also works on WidgetLocker--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker&token=VLJOOCSo)
-Tesla Unread Count--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.teslacoilsw.notifier&token=vbmY5sSj
-Missed It!--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...net.igecelabs.android.MissedIt&token=R8c-3Ev1
-Launcher 8--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=info.tikusoft.l8&token=VPhi7K-c
-Glovebox (version 3.2.32 & up)--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.fb.glovebox&token=joG4L9u3

Here's how you set it up:
-Set the "Provider" in Tesla Unread Count as "Missed It!"
d8da1d82-fc04-4d3a.jpg

-Launch Missed It! & go to Options--> Shared Elements
d8da1d82-fba5-24a7.jpg

-Put whatever App you want to have a Badge Notification for in that list
d8da1d82-fbb0-0b85.jpg

That's it, now whether the App icon is in the Drawer, a folder on your Home Screen or on its on on your Home screen (provided you're using Nova Launcher Prime), you'll be getting Badge Notifications!
On Launcher 8 it only appears on Tiles placed on the Homescreen & not within the list of Apps - Windows Phone's version of an "App Drawer"
On Glovebox, it'll display Badge Notifications for the Apps docked on it that are also in MissedIt's "Shared Elements" section

A few additional things worth noting:
-It also works on WidgetLocker
-It seems you need to add each App individually - as in, add one, close Missed It!, add another, close Missed It! & so-on. So it's a little time consuming to get it all set up initially, but once it's done, you're golden!
-It will work for all Apps that put a Notification in the Status Bar (only exceptions I've found so far seem to be a couple of the native Apps - "Screenshots", stock "Alarm Clock" & "Downloads" but other stock Apps like "Calendar", "Play Store" & the rest do, assuming they produce Status Bar Notifications already).
-Remember that you'll need to make sure you set the individual Apps to display Status Bar Notifications.
-The icons won't display the Badge Notifications on the icon placed within a Widget - for example: Folder Organizer or Circle Launcher.
-Like many Accessibility Settings it will occasionally need to be switched off & back on after a reboot of your device (if you have more than one Accessibility Settings App enabled on your device).
-If you're using Android version 4.3+ it needs to be switched on via Settings-> Security-> Notification Access instead of within Accessibility Services. If you'd like to keep the # on the App icons themselves even after they've been cleared (so they only clear when the Apps themselves have been open):
(Within MissedIt) Options-> Counter Reset Mode-> On App Focused (by default it's set to "On Notification Dismissed") as of version 4.2. beta 2
-WhatsApp & BBM seem to have a problem with accurate reporting (numbers often don't match) but that's something needing to be fixed on WhatsApp's & BBM's end.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, however, Nova Launcher & Launcher8 are currently the only ones to support this feature (from this method) as it needs to be supported by the Launcher.

Last edited:

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, that was very interesting..

I wonder if there's anything similar for go launcher

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
This is pretty much uncharted territory for Android - hopefully more Launchers will support it at some point, but for now it seems to be an exclusive feature of Nova Launcher & WidgetLocker.

I wonder if there's anything similar for go launcher

For global Badge Notifications? No, just for the standard SMS / GMail / Missed Calls.
I've read that ADW Launcher supports global Badge Notifications IF you're rooted using ADW Notifier but I can't confirm / deny that personally.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Troubleshooting:

*It wasn't designed to be used purely as an App for Badge Notifications (that's simply a happy side effect)...so you might need to have a Widget somewhere with all those Apps being monitored for Badge Notifications to work. However, if you don't want the Widget displaying anything (because all you want are the Badge Notifications) you can resize the Widget down to 1X1 and delete everything in Missed It!'s "Output" setting that way nothing will show up in it.
**Or if you don't want the Widget taking up any real estate whatsoever & only want the Badge Notification functionality, you can create a Widget so the Badges will work, place the 1X1 Widget onto another Dock page & then remove that Dock page in Nova's settings. That way you "trick" MissedIt! into working which supplies you with Badge Notifications and you can completely forget about the Widget as it will be completely hidden from view.

Last edited:

stevealb

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I notice that the notifications for my exchange emails counts all emails in the inbox rather than unread emails, and as soon as you read emails, the badge disappears. Is there any way to have the badge remain visible at all times and count unread emails on accounts that are not gmail?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to have the badge remain visible at all times and count unread emails on accounts that are not gmail?

What non-GMail App are you using for your other Email accounts?
If for example, you're using the stock "Email" App, be sure that particular App is:
1) Set within its own settings to display Notifications
2) Set as a "Shared Element" in Missed It!'s settings
3) Set as a monitored App for a Missed It! Widget

stevealb

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What non-GMail App are you using for your other Email accounts?
If for example, you're using the stock "Email" App, be sure that particular App is:
1) Set within its own settings to display Notifications
2) Set as a "Shared Element" in Missed It!'s settings
3) Set as a monitored App for a Missed It! Widget

Thanks for the reply. For the stock email app, the badge shows up now and shows the number of unread messages. However, once I open the app to read emails the badge disappears even when there are still unread messages, and will not reappear until I get a new email.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...once I open the app to read emails the badge disappears even when there are still unread messages, and will not reappear until I get a new email.

Yeah I got that to happen & it unfortunately seems to be an inherent limitation / problem with the stock EMail Application & how it handles Notifications (same as many Apps), not "Missed It!". The GMail App by contrary does it properly.
I haven't tested it, but other 3rd-party Apps "might" not have the same limitation.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Manu_Huerta

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't work with other applications like Whatsapp. Seems is not refreshing whenever a new message arrives or a message is read. The workaround is to restart launcher to refresh counters. Does anyone has the same problem?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Works for WhatsApp though sometimes the # goes nuts but it's a problem with WhatsApp & I've made them aware.

I use this method to monitor a couple dozen Apps on a few Android devices working great, which other Apps in particular are you having problems with?
What other Apps do you have enabled in Accessibility Settings?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

teletraan1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess we'll have to wait until the next Whatsapp update? That's really the only other app that I want a badge notification for. Hopefully this gets fixed soon!

Manu_Huerta

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Talkdroid messenger, facebook, twitter, stock e-mail app....basically most of the application i've installed. No other applications enabled in accessibility settings

EDIT: Seems that If I put a widget for missed it, it reads (and refresh) correctly the counters, seems to be a bug in nova launcher??

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Facebook & Twitter work fine for me.
You might need to create a Widget though (but I didn't have to on my Gnex, N4 or Kindle Fire) if my initial tutorial didn't work for your device & then if you don't like the sight of it shrink it down to 1X1 & hide it in a Dock page you don't use.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My apps from Missed its shared elements disappear (maybe after i reboot my device i think) is there anyway missed it shared elements apps can be saved?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My apps from Missed its shared elements disappear (maybe after i reboot my device i think) is there anyway missed it shared elements apps can be saved?

Mine don't disappear on any of my Android devices...that's weird.

Have you tried:
-make sure MissedIt! is enabled in Accessibility Settings
-clear the App Data for MissedIt! & re-add them
-add one App at a time (add it, exit MissedIt, add another, exit, and repeat)