[HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
This is one thing that I am very surprised Android doesn't cover.

I believe the Samsung S5 and Note 3 allow for email notification badges natively but not Nexus 5?!?!?! That will be a point of contention when I look at purchasing a phone again.

I'm looking to put this on my Nexus 5 but I'm really looking for something that is invisible and runs in the background.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Samsung S5 and Note 3 allow for email notification badges natively but not Nexus 5?!?!?!
I'm looking to put this on my Nexus 5 but I'm really looking for something that is invisible and runs in the background.

I do wish Google did it on their own though. They do provide SMS/GMail/Call data which is how other Apps display counts for those Apps.

Samsung & other OEM's display SMS/EMail/Calls, however, only via their built-in Apps, not 3rd-party Apps.
So if for example you want it for GMail, GO SMS & another Dialer App you've downloaded, the Badge Counts won't always display.

As for something "invisible", MissedIt can be used without its Widget on Nova Launcher, Launcher8 & the other Apps I listed.
That way you never see MissedIt it - you'll only see the Notification Counts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I only use the stock email and dialer apps... for texting on my Nexus 5 I use Textra though as that seems to have the features that I like best.

I've cracked the screen on this Nexus 5 (which I got back in November) so I am debating on what device to get next. I like the Nexus 5, it's streamlined for sure and I'm now used to navigating it but the S5 just seems to have all the same features plus the stuff I was used to with my iphone (badge notifications etc).

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
the S5 just seems to have all the same features plus the stuff I was used to with my iphone (badge notifications etc).

Keep in mind the S5 has Badge Notifications for only 3 Apps on its own VS any Android device (including the S5) using MissedIt.
I install Nova Launcher, Widget Locker & MissedIt on all my Android devices to achieve GLOBAL Badge Notifications (like on iOS).

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have gotten it set up. 4$ for the Prime and 1.50 for the MissedIt app... Not overly bad. I've been fiddling with it and slowly have the icon badges I want set up. The one thing I notice DOESN'T work (or at least I couldn't get it to work) was the "Okay Google" voice search. The search bar is there but voice activation doesn't work for it. Also you know on the Google Launcher when you scroll to the left and you get your weather and updates? That isn't shown either. Ideas?

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
For those who may read this in the future to set this up. Okay Google is the one thing that you won't get as it appears to be native to the Google Experience Launcher home screens and they haven't made it available for third party developers.

Also, if you have more than one account (I have two) the email badge counter will misread the number of emails you have. If I receive 1 email it counts it as two because it is also counting my Combined View mailbox in addition to whatever account has the email in it. I'm still troubleshooting that issue. Other than that, its pretty cool.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I notice DOESN'T work...was the "Okay Google" voice search.
Also you know on the Google Launcher when you scroll to the left and you get your weather and updates?

Correct, Nova Launcher doesn't have either as both are only accessible via the Google Now Launcher.
I was never a fan of the "Ok Google" voice activation so that doesn't matter to me.
Also, swiping up on the [HOME] button accesses the Google Now cards quicker than swiping all the way to the left, so that didn't matter to me either.

Nova Prime has a lot of customization features making it worth it for me to not miss anything from the Google Now Launcher.

If however, you absolutely want the Google Now Launcher AND Global Badge Notifications via MissedIt, there's an Xposed Framework Module for that (though it requires a slightly outdated version of both GNL & Search. When/If it's updated to support the most recent versions, I'll write about it. Until then, if you're interested, I'd suggest checking out the Xposed Framework Google+ Community.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Nawww I'm getting used to the Nova Launcher.

One thing I am experiencing is double counts on my email and sometimes on my Textra texts... I have two email accounts in the stock email app and each one has its own mailbox but there is also a COMBINED VIEW mailbox. So if one email account receives a single email it counts it twice because it will show up as unread in the combined view. Any idea around that? As for the double texts? I have no damn idea since there is only one text coming in unless it is counting it from Hangouts (which I don't use).

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I think I have the Textra double count issue solved but have no idea how to solve the damn email counter issue on the Nexus 5 stock email app.

Marissa Lauren

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Might be "owned" by Apple though...
At least it's doable.

If I'm not mistaken, Blackberry uses global notification badges as well as Apple.

I've been reading through this thread and by the end of it pretty overwhelmed, especially with all of the updated launchers being posted that are now supporting different compatibility.. so I'm not sure what would work best for me or my girlfriend's phone. We're both running 4.4.2 but I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and she's using an S5. :-[

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what would work best for me or my girlfriend's phone. We're both running 4.4.2 but I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and she's using an S5. :-[

Hi Marissa, yes Blackberry & iOS both have built-in GLOBAL Badge Notifications, something Android should have, but doesn't which is why I created this thread.
Personally, I'd recommend sticking with Nova.
The original post has all the info you need.

If you get stuck on a particular step, feel free to comment here & I'll be happy to help, or send me a private message & I'll do the same.

Gilianp

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Works for WhatsApp though sometimes the # goes nuts but it's a problem with WhatsApp & I've made them aware.

I use this method to monitor a couple dozen Apps on a few Android devices working great, which other Apps in particular are you having problems with?
What other Apps do you have enabled in Accessibility Settings?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Works for WhatsApp though sometimes the # goes nuts but it's a problem with WhatsApp & I've made them aware.
What other Apps do you have enabled in Accessibility Settings?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Yes it's a WhatsApp issue.
I've made them aware a couple years ago & they don't seem to care, unfortunately. It affects pretty much every App that's set to monitor WhatsApp Notifications.

I don't have any Apps enabled within Accessibility Services, why?

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The first thing that comes to mind is what kind of negative impact if any does all these extra apps running have on battery life which is already barely hanging on for a day for a lot of people.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've used this for over 3yrs with minimal battery consumption.
It of course uses some, but the amount is fairly insignificant, especially when measured against the usefulness of this type of setup.

To each their own though.

jmr24

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I've had galaxy for so long that I never even realized it was touchwiz and not Android. I was thinking of getting the new pixel but maybe I need to stick with Samsung, this is a big thing for me.

Frank Nesci

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to wake the dead on this one.

Galaxy S3 and I've just installed Nova Launcher Prime on there so I've just been introduced to the concept of unread badges. I quite like the idea but what I would prefer is the unread number for emails and sms to appear next to the icon in the notification bar. Is there anyway to make that happen , instead of next to the app icon on the screen ?