Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Default Any good Flipboard alternatives?

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a magazine-style, Flipboard-like RSS reader for my Nexus 7. It would be great if it were tablet optimized (rather than a blown up phone app), but if not, I'd want it to look good on the 7" screen.

The reason I don't like Flipboard is kind of picky...but I hate flipping up/down rather than left/right. It's just too counter intuitive as a magazine metaphor and it rubs me the wrong way=/ So, any suggestions? Thanks!

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Default Re: Any good Flipboard alternatives?

Not sure about Google Currents on the N7, but it's similar to Flipboard. Give Flipboard some time to develop their Android Tablet version. Hopefully one is coming. I agree with you that scrolling isn't my idea of what "flip"board is all about. I love Flipboard on my iPad and hope they'll improve on the Android Tablet going forward.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHnATL View Post
    Not sure about Google Currents on the N7, but it's similar to Flipboard. Give Flipboard some time to develop their Android Tablet version. Hopefully one is coming. I agree with you that scrolling isn't my idea of what "flip"board is all about. I love Flipboard on my iPad and hope they'll improve on the Android Tablet going forward.
    Currents doesn't do RSS/Google Reader Sync...

Yeah I had an iPad and loved Flipboard on it but I just can't use the Android version as is.

Pulse, I have it on my N7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Do either Pulse or Feedly have the option to auto-load the full article content in a "readability/instapaper" view? That is to say, almost all my feeds give only the first line or two of the article and force me to jump to a browser to keep reading. The app I currently use is gReader Pro which will automatically show me mobilized full content (within the app) upon clicking on a feed item. As much as I like the functionality though, I don't really like the tablet interface

Provided the content author hadn't disallowed the whole article I'm the feed then yes pulse loads the whole article in pulse, no need to go to a browser but you can do that as well if you want.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB // CM10 JB

Taptu

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by zenibear View Post
    Provided the content author hadn't disallowed the whole article I'm the feed then yes pulse loads the whole article in pulse, no need to go to a browser but you can do that as well if you want.

Unfortunately that's what I meant...almost all of my feeds specifically disallow full content view via standard RSS. I have to use extensions on Chrome and only certain apps to get around this. I was hoping Pulse/Feedly would but it doesn't look like it

Quote Originally Posted by mtmjr90 View Post
    Unfortunately that's what I meant...almost all of my feeds specifically disallow full content view via standard RSS. I have to use extensions on Chrome and only certain apps to get around this. I was hoping Pulse/Feedly would but it doesn't look like it
    Try using Full Text RSS Feed // Get the whole feed and nothing but the feed to get full text feeds that you can use in any rss reader.
    Thanked by:

Sorry to bump an old(ish) thread but I am actually in the process of developing a flipboard style news reader and was looking to see what's already out there? Especially for tablets.. I've used Flipboard, Currents, Pulse and Feedly. All of which have their good points but none of them do the job fully imo. Are there any others I've missed or should try before I go and write my own? Don't want to reinvent the wheel