Magicjack App on Android

zzrogue

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I was browsing Google Play and noticed a MagicJack app for Android. It says it was posted August 28th, don't know if that's correct. I downloaded it and it ran fine on my Galaxy SII LTE but of course it says it's a beta version but I was able to make a call quickly both through wifi and through HSDPA+. Just wondering if this was posted or not as my search didn't come up with any posts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5tYWdpY2phY2siXQ..

Last edited:

177erz

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I have used the MagicJack app on my HTC Inspire and it worked fine, later that day I found a firmware update for my phone I updated the phone and the Android OS and now the magic jack app messes up royally. It will start the app and ask you if you want to use freecalls or sign in with your account, so I select that. About halfway into typing my email address associated with my magic jack account; it just restarts the app. It will keep doing that over and over again without fail, even while I am doing other things on my phone, whether I am in the google play store or even when I try to go into settings to kill the app it still restarts and pops up onto the screen, until I can finally do it fast enough to permenantly kill the app.

So long story short I found out while trying to kill that app, it runs 2 processes, 1 is the app itself and the other is some crappy conglomerate that I'm assuming is causing the error, named "keepalive for MJ" that must be the program that is having the Magic Jack app restart itself, they must not have tested the magic jack app with all the newest apis; I know cause I have the android SDK. I wish they just gimmie there sourcecode so I can fix it myself. BTW my Software information: Android version 2.3.5 HTC Sense version 3.0 Software number 3.20.502.52 710RD Kernel version 2.6.35.10-ga375925
Baseband version 12.69a.60.29U_26.17.14.11_M
Build number 3.20.502.52 CL380259 release-keys
Browser version Webkit/533.1

shimmy2

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree totally. I hope that they add an EXIT app button. The only way that I can find to exit is to go into settings and "Force Stop" . Even my "Task Killer" app wont kill it.

Of course customer support is non-existent.

Rish79

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I installed it on my HTC EVO 4G and can receive calls on it but I cannot make calls. It always ask about roaming before the call, then no sound for a few seconds then busy tone. Can someone help me get it too work properly.

Travsand

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So i have a sharp fx plus with 2.2.2 android os on it and i am not able to down load the magic jack app on my phone says it in not compatible with this version but i was doing some research on it and seen that it was for 2.2 and 2.3 android os what is the hold up for this and is there a patch out there that i need or an app to use to make this work

Garth Cousins

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What I found out.
If you want to prevent the app from draining your battery
go to manage apps
then choose move to sd card, this will stop the app from run ongoing
No need to force stop. If you wish to make free calls next time.
Choose free calls when the option pops up.
It will then load the app and make your call.
You will have to move it back to the sd card again to prevent battery usage.
Also on setup it is best use the MJ free number instead of your account phone num.
This will prvent any changes to your normal MJ OPERATION

Brit Rebel

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 tablet, I had downloaded Magic Jack, have paired my bluetooth device motorola H750 but when I tried to use magic jack will run though the tablet or times won't hear anything and cannot seem to be able to communicate though the ear piece. I have tried playing a video which will play though the blue tooth device and the tablet shows its the devices as being paired but for some reason won't work with the android magic jack app, wondering if there is something not doing correctly. Thanks for any positive and helpful feedback

Zach Doyle

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I installed it today on my Nexus 7 and had the exact same problem. I did a bit of trial and error and discovered that if you change the audio/mic output device while the app is running, the mic won't work, and it will stutter quite a bit, and even stop responding. The only solution I've come up with is a rather cumbersome one...I have to close MagicJack, change my audio/mic output, and then re-launch the app. Pretty lame, considering this app was released almost a year ago, and it's still in beta. You can tell the company is more concerned with selling their hardware rather than perfecting their software. :-\

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Magicjack App on Android 2.2.2

I have Titanium Backup Pro/rooted. I can use the app to freeze MJ. If I ever need to use it I unfreeze it, if you use it often this can be annoying. There is a free version of Titanium and its a great app for backups and freezing battery drainers without completely uninstalling. I rarely pay for apps but I bought this one years ago for $7 it was well worth it.

Ok, even better... This is the solution if you are rooted! Titanium allows you to create a widget to do this. You basically add the Titanium Backup widget, select action, choose the action which is Freeze / Defrost (Launch) toggle (don't pick freeze or defrost option by themselves), and then finally you choose the Magicjack app and click create widget. It then adds the toggle to your homescreen with the MJ logo, you can then click on it and if its closed it will defrost and open MJ (with your previous account settings) and then you click the widget again and it closes and freezes it. Not sure if the free one does this but it might. I love Titanium that app does everything!

Another alternative is to use a GV # with talkatone.

Last edited:

Paul Michel

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I had this error using the Version 2.8 of MagicJack app for Android: "Network connection failure [error 3]". Quitting/relaunching the app immediately restored a working connection. You may also want to quit the MagicJack app after using it, even without errors. To quit the app, the simplest method I have found is:
1) Tap "Account" at the bottom of the screen. The menu to the right bottom becomes active (it is displayed but not selectable in other screens).
2) Tap the menu
3) Tap "Close application".
It was that easy...

Last edited:

01Kuzma

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The last version of this app 4.0.x.x still drains the battery within a night.
It seems that programmers has chosen bad architecture for their app and they won't fix it at all :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke