Dropping a pin in Google Maps

gianthobbit

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So over the weekend I did some hiking and wanted to mark the location of certain items. Naturally I opened up google maps, I have after all done this before on my iPad as well as my 3 year old WM phone in the past. Spent 10 or so minutes searching and searching, I can not find it.

To say I am shocked is a understatement, is this a bad joke on Google part? How the heck do you save locations in the maps app? I am not talking about saving a "favorite" address, just want to drop a GPS coordinate down and name it.

Is there an alternative program that I could use to do this if it is a missing feature in maps?

Mange

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Try This...
Long press on your location, when the bubble popsup click on it. This should take you to a black page that you can search, or choose to navagate to location. In the upper right corner is a star,click that and you'll have saved location......

gianthobbit

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Try This...
Long press on your location, when the bubble popsup click on it. This should take you to a black page that you can search, or choose to navagate to location. In the upper right corner is a star,click that and you'll have saved location......

This is great, however it pulls the name form the address and there is no way to change it. I wanted to save a location (a waterfall) in the sticks so next time I could find it easier, and it just pulls up the name of the national forest. I guess this kind of works though.

There is a Google my maps editor in the market.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Wow this is it, thanks for the tip. Only wish they were one in the same but it is a very powerful map editor so I can see the need to separate them. Thanks!

heinduplessis

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
That app does not work anymore. Not supported by google and will aparently be removed from the market shortly.

So now when I need to mark a place I need to borrow my wife's iphone, to use a google feature... ironic!

dgs2000

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Since your use case is hiking, the better way IMHO to do this is download My Tracks android app by Google. This let's you automatically track yourself but also add "way point" markers that are analogous to dropping pins in your request above. All of this is then exportable to the My Maps feature of your Google account, which you can then view, share, or use as a layer in any of the Google Maps apps on any platform.

Edit: here's an example of a map I did using My Tracks hiking in Maui, HI: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=217844011136303250417.00049722adbc5d46c67d8

Last edited:

dually

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I would also add that if you geotag photos and upload them to picasaweb, you can import your album map into "my maps" (where you have imported a "my tracks" track into "my maps") and then will have a "my maps" with tracks and photos.

And then as dgs2000 pointed out you can open "my maps" from "layers" on the maps application.

To import a picasaweb album map into my maps, copy the "view in google earth" link above your picasaweb album map and paste that url where you import into my maps. And of course the quick way to upload a geotagged photo into picasaweb is to simply select "share with picasa" from your camera, or gallery, or file manager-- picasaweb automatically generates an album map.

decibel_

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
* bump *

I know this thread is old but i looked everywhere on web and couldn't find a solution. I own a Huawei U8800 Ideos X5 and i want to pin some locations on Google Maps where i can rename them so i can easily remember, without having to use the lame star the nearest location method which is ofter too far away. Any way to do that ?

AlexNC

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It is hard for me believe that Google STILL has not added the ability to manage pins and maps in the mobile Android Google Maps app. How is this still possible??!! It is 2011 for gods sake!

I desperately need this function for work. And the Star system does not cut it. I am always in the need to pin locations for specific maps. I can not just have hundreds of unorganized stars floating around.

* bump *

I know this thread is old but i looked everywhere on web and couldn't find a solution. I own a Huawei U8800 Ideos X5 and i want to pin some locations on Google Maps where i can rename them so i can easily remember, without having to use the lame star the nearest location method which is ofter too far away. Any way to do that ?

dabhanddave

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, absolutely staggering that Google's own operating system doesn't have the most basic map feature of dropping a pin onto the map. They seem to have focused on making Google Maps into some kind of sad social media application for insecure fools but neglected to include the most basic map features.

Faksebugt

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
We are now talking August 2012, and Google Map still do not have a simple function of dropping and naming pin on the map. :mad:
Thanks good I still have my old Nokia for that purpose!
Also I do not understand why the search and navigation function not works without data connection, all though the full map has been cached and is on the phone. :mad:
Thanks good I still have my old Nokia for that purpose!

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
For hunting, I use an app called "Compass". It is a good compass but it allows you to save and name "places".When you click on your "places" icon, it shows a list of your places with a small arrow pointing toward each place, as well as the distance to. If you click on a place, it will show it to you on google maps. It does not show all your places though, just the one you clicked on. Also the locations are not saved to your Gmaps. Certainly not a perfect solution but maybe helpful.

kmcmillan89

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I found an app called PinDrop Free that will allow you to pin any location and save it, as well as view it in the built-in Google Maps on your Android. I won't lie, it's a pretty crappy app. You need to copy/paste or have the GPS coords or address on hand, you apparently can't pin from a map view. And like the Compass app mentioned above, I do not believe you are able to view the pinned spots offline. But it functions as a more complicated version of the iPhone pin ability I suppose.

proels

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Updating this older thread, I couldn't find a way to drop a pin in the google navigation app. But the google maps app can. Long press on the map and a window pops up, where you can see the adress, mark it as a favorite, or navigate to it. The google navigation app will then save the address as a recent destination.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Updating this older thread, I couldn't find a way to drop a pin in the google navigation app. But the google maps app can. Long press on the map and a window pops up, where you can see the adress, mark it as a favorite, or navigate to it. The google navigation app will then save the address as a recent destination.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Like the Op mentioned, marking your location is good, but there is no way to give the location you are trying to save a name. Therefore, it makes if very difficult to search through your favorites to pull up that location again, because you can't name it what you want.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I came up with somewhat of a work around by adding locations to Google Bookmarks.

Download GBookmark from the PlayStore.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.amlegate.gbookmark&token=9memQRw5

Sign into your Google account using the app. You'll see all of your Google Bookmarks, if you've create them in the past.

Create a folder called Google Maps (you can name this folder whatever you like, I just happen to name mine Google Maps).

You can manually add address locations and bookmark them if you wish. If you would like to add your current location from Google Maps do the following...
Place your finger where you would like to pin your location using Google Maps.
A little pop-up will appear. Tap on it, then choose 'Send location to others'.
Choose GBookmark. Within the GBookmark app, erase whats in the Title field and give the location your own personal name, then move your cursor to the Label field and begin typing Google Maps (or whatever name you created for your folder). As you type, the folder will appear. Select the folder from the drop down menu, and save. You've now created and added your location to your Google Bookmarks.

Now you need a way to quickly retrieve the locations you've saved. To do this, add the GBookmark widget to your home screen. It will then open the app and display +shortcut next to each folder. Scroll down to the folder you will be using to store your Google Maps locations, and press the +shortcut button. The shortcut will be added to your home screen.

Click on the shortcut, choose a location you previously saved, then select Google Maps as the app you would like to use to open the link, then press Just Once.

Google Maps will open, and retrieve the location.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
An app which meets the requirements of this old thread is the free app 'Place Saver'.
Star a place in Google Maps as favorite and share it with 'Place Saver'.
The app will list such shared favorite places and let you edit their names.
From 'Place Saver' you can choose a place and launch it on Google Maps or any other GPS/map app that you've installed on your phone/tablet ... I can even launch it on my offline car navigation :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay