| || |
Music Player (Remix) - App is in the Play Store!
EDIT 12/23/12: The public beta is now closed. The app has been released to the Play Store!!!
The last public beta that was released will expire on 12/31/12.
This forum post will always link to the most up-to-date beta version.
PLEASE READ ALL THE INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE STARTING THE BETA!
Make sure you're always running the latest beta version. This forum post will be updated whenever a new version is available. The changelog is at the bottom of this forum post.
(NOTE: The app is not compatible with Froyo Android 2.2 or earlier. It's also not compatible with screens less than 320x480)
Features in the app
This is not a complete list, but here's a highlight of some of the features available in the app:
- Large, finger-friendly controls - tap the top of the album art to play/pause. Tap the bottom-right to skip to the next track. Tap the bottom-left to go to the previous track.
- On any screen, swipe from the bottom of the screen to reveal Now Playing controls and also switch to your Now Playing list.
- On any screen, swipe from the right side of the screen to reveal the main menu (to tap the Menu key on your device). Here you can access your music library and the search function (or use the Search button on your device). Also there are options at the top of the main menu for aesthetic customizations, quick preferences switches, preferences screen, and help screen.
- On any screen, swipe from the left side of the screen to reveal the quick list menu. Here you can swipe between "Faves" (songs, albums, artists you save here for one-touch easy access), playlists, and autolists (auto-generated lists based upon your listening habits).
- When you're on your phone (within any other app or on your home screen), you can swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the "mini-player". The mini-player will allow you to pause/play, skip next, go back, scrub through the song, and if you tap the button at the bottom of the mini-player, view and re-order your Now Playing list.
- On the Now Playing screen, there are quick shortcuts above the album art for functions such as Add To Playlist, Add to Faves, Save bookmarks, Lyrics/Karaoke, Share your song, etc. If you tap the ellipsis (...), you'll get a popup with all the remaining options. If you tap-and-hold any of the quick shortcuts, you can select another option for that quick shortcut.
- Other features on the Now Playing screen: tap the song/album/artist info to reveal song play info (tap again to switch back). Tap the time remaining at the bottom of the screen to reveal the total duration of the song (tap again to switch back).
- All screens are optimized for landscape orientation.
- Most browsing screens have several display (list/thumbnail views) and sorting options. The options are at the bottom of the screen.
- Manual bookmarks: You can save bookmarks in a song and markers will appear on the scrubber bar at the bottom of the screen indicating where the bookmarks are. To go to the bookmark, tap the next/previous buttons (on the album art). You can also select the "View Bookmarks" option on the Now Playing screen (or in the "..." popup next to any song) to skip to a bookmark. You can also access all your bookmarks by bringing up the main menu and selecting "Bookmarks".
- Auto bookmarks: Any time you play a song, a bookmark is automatically saved when you leave the song. To go back to the previous play position in a song, go to the View Bookmarks popup.
- Album art downloading: On the Now Playing screen, there is a "Download album art" option. There is also an option next to any song or album within the app. Here you can download album art. Album art is embedded directly in the music files of that album.
- Lyrics & Karaoke: On the Now Playing screen, there is a "Lyrics & Karaoke" option. There is also an option next to any song within the app. Lyrics will be downloaded for the song if they can be found on lyrics.wikia.com. Lyrics are embedded directly into the music file (or optionally saved in an external text file) so the next time you view the lyrics it won't have to download them. You can also record yourself singing along to the song by tapping the microphone button at the bottom of the screen. And you can listen to your recorded karaoke sessions by tapping the list button at the bottom of the screen, or by bringing up the main menu and select "Karaokes".
- Playlist management: If you tap the ellipsis (...) next to a playlist, you'll get a few options: shuffle, view/edit, multi-add, rename, and delete. The multi-add feature allows you to add multiple songs, albums, artists, genres, or composers to a playlist just by tapping them on any screen.
- NuPlay: Any time you add songs to your device (by downloading them using Amazon/Google/etc. or transferring them via USB/wifi/etc.), the app will issue a notification which when tapped will load those songs into a playlist and play them.
- On the Album and Artist detail screens, you can view the wiki page of that album or artist. Just swipe left to reveal the wiki screen.
- Stylish 4x1 and 4x2 home screen widgets.
- Various lock screen control options including basic controls (ICS+), advanced mini-player controls (ICS+), or the 4x2 widget (Android 4.2+).
- Fine-tuned controls for quickly skipping backward and forward by 5, 30, or 60 seconds. Long-tap the pause/play tap area to reveal (or hide) the controls.
- And much, much more!!!
What's not in the beta yet...and known issues
- Tablet layouts have not been implemented yet for most screens (Now Playing screen has 7" and 8.9"/10" layouts). - this will be included in a future Play Store release
- Jellybean expandable notification controls have not been implemented yet. - this will be included in a future Play Store release
- Last.fm scrobbling has not been implemented yet. - this will be included in a future Play Store release
If you find any bugs, please post very specific details about what happened and how to recreate the bug (if you know how). Also please post your device, OS version, whether you're running any custom ROMs, whether you're rooted, and the version of the beta you're using.
If the app crashes (force closes), go to the Help screen (swipe on the right side of the screen and tap "?"), then swipe to the "Support" tab and select "Send App Log". This will email me the app's log. In this email, please provide details about what happened and what you were doing at the time of the crash.
If you have any ideas, suggestions, feedback (both positive and constructive), please post them here or on Twitter (@MusicRemixApp).
Version 0.9.16 (Release Candidate 3)
- (Bug Fix) The Remix music service would not completely quit when exiting the app and the "always enable music service notification" option was de-selected. The notification would disappear; however it may have re-appeared even if you didn't reload the app.
- (Bug Fix) An error may have occurred when the "basic lock screen controls" are enabled. This error would have happened behind the scenes without the user being aware of it.
Version 0.9.15 (Release Candidate 2)
- (Enhancement) Add a dark overlay to the Gingerbread notification and make the text white so that it's readable on any Gingerbread device regardless of whether the notfication area on that device is light or dark.
- (Enhancement) If the lyrics web site (where lyrics are pulled from) returns a "Lyrics Plugin" error, display a more user-friendly error indicating lyrics cannot be retrieved at this time.
- (Bug Fix) When selecting "Add to faves" on an album, if you selected "Artist", it would add the album instead.
- (Bug Fix) Composers would not show up after deleting and re-installing the app.
Version 0.9.14 (Release Candidate 1)
- (Enhancement) Create new launcher and notification icons (please let me know how you like them!)
- (New Feature) Added Remix Tips, FAQ, Upcoming Features, and About to Help screen. If you have other ideas for FAQs, let me know.
- (New Feature) Add support for the Android backup service to backup app preferences. This will allow preferences to be automatically restored after the app is re-installed (on most devices running the Google Play Store if auto-restore has been enabled in the device's Security settings).
- (New Feature) On the left-side sliding menu, you can select the default view by long-tapping the desired tab. So for instance, if you want to display Autolists by default long-tap "Autolists" at the top of the left-side menu (NOTE: The default view will only appear when you first load a screen. The app remembers the view you last displayed anytime you open the panel while using a screen).
- (Bug Fix) If you tapped the album art or preset options while the left or right menus were open, it would treat it as a long-tap.
- (Bug Fix) If you tapped the display options button on the Genre song list screen, the app would crash.
- (Bug Fix) Album art may not have updated on the 4x2 widgets when switching tracks on certain devices.
- (Bug Fix) When switching lists, the app would crash under certain conditions.
- (Maintenance) Quick Switch icon at the top of the right-side menu has been made invisible. In the future this will be replaced by an equalizer icon.
- (Maintenance) Add code to be used for the free trial version.
- (New Feature) Add configuration options on the Preferences screen for forcing the screen on. The options are "Never", "When the app is open", and "When the app is open, only while the device is charging".
- (New Feature) Add configuration options on the Preferences screen for notifications. One is for the main music service notification (which keeps the Remix music service running) and the other is for NuPlay (new song) notifications.
- (New Feature) Add configuration options on the Preferences screen for miscellaneous settings. The only one listed is for auto-playing music when the app is loaded.
- (New Feature) Add configuration options on the Preferences screen for lyric caching. The options are "Disabled", "Embedded in music file", and "Saved in a file located in the same directory as the music file".
- (New Feature) On the Album Detail and Artist Detail screens, you can select the default view on each screen by long-tapping the desired tab. So for instance, on the Artist Detail screen, if you want it to display the album list by default, long-tap "Artist List" at the top of the screen.
- (Bug Fix) Artist detail screen (in grid view) was not formatted properly on 480x800 devices.
- (Bug Fix) Pressing Enter on the keyboard while searching produced an empty screen. Now a message will appear at the bottom of the screen indicating users should tap one of the results in the dialog box below the search bar (vs. pressing Enter on the keyboard). Also the voice search button has been removed. In the future, a dedicated search screen may be implemented.
- (New Feature) Long-tap the pause/play tap area on the album art to display fine-tuned scrubbing controls (skipping backward and forward by 5, 30, or 60 seconds). Long-tap the pause/play area again to hide the fine-tuned controls. This works on any screen as well as on the mini-player. Also, the current fine-tuned controls display setting is saved as you move from screen to screen, so if you display them on one screen, they'll still be displayed on another (until you hide them).
- (Bug Fix) Fix some formatting issues on the Preferences screens, especially on Gingerbread devices.
- (New Feature) Add mini-player configuration options on the Preferences screen.
- (New Feature) Add an alternate 4x2 widget which can be added to the lock screen on Android 4.2+ devices.
- (Enhancement) Remove the mini-player from the lock screen if a phone call comes in.
- (Bug Fix) When switching tracks to a song within the same album, the album art displayed on the basic lock screen controls would disappear.
- (Bug Fix) On certain Android 4.2 devices, scrolling on the sliding panels would produce visual artifacts.
- (New Feature) Add lock screen controls (Android 4.0 or later required). There are 2 options available. The first one adds simple music controls which are standard on ICS+ devices. Album art is displayed along with the song and artist. Pause/Play, Previous, and Next controls are available. However depending upon the device manufacturer/skin, this type of lock screen controls may not be available. The second type are available on all ICS+ devices. This option allows you to display the mini-player on the lock screen. All of the rich controls available in the regular mini-player are available here. Configuration options are available on the Preferences screen.
- (New Feature) Add Preferences screen (accessible by opening right-side menu and tapping the gear icon). Currently only Lock screen configuration options are avaiable. More to come in the next beta release.
- (Enhancement) Mini-player should be a bit easier to bring up especially on devices with high dpi resolution. (NOTE: Still need to add configuration options...that will come in a future beta update).
- (Enhancement) Mini-player will no longer take up the full width of the screen on tablets.
- (Enhancement) Now able to display mini-player while in landscape mode on tablets.
- (Enhancement) When switching songs or queuing a song to play next, the Now Playing list will auto-scroll to the current song's position.
- (Bug Fix) If you tapped the album art on a widget, it would load a duplicate copy of the Now Playing screen in memory.
- (Bug Fix) If you update album art on one screen then leave that screen while the album art is updating, the app could crash once the update is complete.
- (Bug Fix) 4x2 widget may not have appeared properly on Jellybean devices.
- (Bug Fix) Embedded lyrics were sometimes being displayed without line breaks.
- (Bug Fix) Downloaded lyrics which were embedded in the music files may not have displayed properly in other apps that read embedded lyrics.
- (Bug Fix) Scrolling the various lists in the menus (left, right, and bottom menus) resulted in visual glitches on some Jellybean devices (possibly Android 4.2 only). (NOTE: I can't reproduce the issue on the Jellybean emulator, so danimal62 please let me know if you're still experiencing this after updating).
- (Bug Fix) Mini-player was too small on higher-res phones (720p and above).
- Initial public beta release