Music Player (Remix)

hape

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Music Player (Remix) - Now live in the Play Store!

Hi Dan,

I had a strange reaction with mp3 files that I downloaded with the "Amazon MP3" app. The are listed in the music player remix, but when I select them it starts to play a shuffle all.

I then tried it in the on device mp3 player and it responded with "no supported format". I was surprised as I didn't expected that Amazon adds any kind of DRM. The "Amazon MP3" app can play the files. When I open the mp3 file in a file manager app and select "Music player remix" to play it I get the response "no supported file format".

I would have expect to get the "no supported file format" message too if I select the song in Music player remix instead of a shuffle all. First I was not sure if I selected the right song ;)

I expect that amazon adds a kind of DRM if you use the on device app for downloading the MP3. I didn't have that problem wit MP3s that I downloaded on the PC and then copied to the device.

HaPe

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Hi Dan,

any news about the song information broadcast to a Bluetooth device? I hardly miss that function. Even more as my Pebble Pebble is on the way and it uses that information too to display the playing song...

HaPe

I haven't worked on it, but it's still on the list.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Version 1.1.0 has been submitted to the Play Store and Amazon app store. It's a big release with several new features including an equalizer, customizable widgets, and a secret Easter Egg (hint is in the changelog below). It also includes a bunch of important bug fixes.

Here's the complete changelog:

- (New Feature) 5-band graphic equalizer with presets, bass boost, and virtualizer.

- (New Feature) Add the ability to customize the color and opacity of the home screen widgets. To do so, open up the right-side sliding panel and tap the aesthetic options button, then select "Customize Widgets".

- (New Feature) Easter Egg #1 has been added (Hint: Let loose and shake things up while you sing along to your favorite songs).

- (Bug Fix) If certain popups were displayed while switching device orientation, the app would crash.

- (Bug Fix) Eliminate app crashes that may have occurred rarely when loading a browsing list.

- (Bug Fix) Eliminate app crashes and unexpected pausing related to Android media player issues on certain Jellybean devices (NOTE: To fix this issue gapless playback has been removed for the time being).

- (Bug Fix) Karaoke recording would not work on the Samsung Galaxy S3 running Jellybean.

- (Bug Fix) Going to the next track would lock up the app under certain conditions.

- (Bug Fix) App would sometimes crash when re-ordering songs in the mini-player.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Hi Dan,

I had a strange reaction with mp3 files that I downloaded with the "Amazon MP3" app. The are listed in the music player remix, but when I select them it starts to play a shuffle all.

I then tried it in the on device mp3 player and it responded with "no supported format". I was surprised as I didn't expected that Amazon adds any kind of DRM. The "Amazon MP3" app can play the files. When I open the mp3 file in a file manager app and select "Music player remix" to play it I get the response "no supported file format".

I would have expect to get the "no supported file format" message too if I select the song in Music player remix instead of a shuffle all. First I was not sure if I selected the right song ;)

I expect that amazon adds a kind of DRM if you use the on device app for downloading the MP3. I didn't have that problem wit MP3s that I downloaded on the PC and then copied to the device.

HaPe

I think your downloads were corrupted. I download stuff from Amazon all the time (I just did today actually) and they play fine in Remix. Since it says "no supported format", it means there's a problem with the file. The reason why it did a Shuffle All when you first tried to load it is because the app does that if you try to load up a new list whose only song is corrupt.

I would try deleting the files (which you can do within Remix using the "Delete File" option) and then re-download them.

snpalavan

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site

First off, thanks for all the hard work, love this app.

One issue I'm still having is regarding the switching between Bluetooth playback and non-bluetooth playback. specifically, when I answer a call while music is playing in my car via Bluetooth and then turn off my car, thus disconnecting Bluetooth, as soon as I hang up, the music will start playing via the phone's speaker.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

First off, thanks for all the hard work, love this app.

One issue I'm still having is regarding the switching between Bluetooth playback and non-bluetooth playback. specifically, when I answer a call while music is playing in my car via Bluetooth and then turn off my car, thus disconnecting Bluetooth, as soon as I hang up, the music will start playing via the phone's speaker.

Can you send me an app log (using an app like aLogCat or CatLog) after this happens? That will give me a clue as to what's happening.

Also I assume other apps don't behave in that way, correct? Also what would you consider to be the correct behavior in this situation?

hape

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Hi Dan,

the downloads was fine. The Amazon player was able to play them without any problems but no other player on the device.

HaPe

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Hi Dan,

the downloads was fine. The Amazon player was able to play them without any problems but no other player on the device.

HaPe

If no other player can play them, then something is not right with the files. Like I mentioned, I download MP3s from Amazon all the time (using the Amazon MP3 app) and they play fine in Remix. I'd suggest deleting one of the files, re-downloading it, and see if it fixes the issue.

YourFace

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Dan, thank you for all your incredible work in continuing to develop my FAVORITE music player on Android. I have a feature request. Would it be possible to add an optional setting that would announce the track name and artist for the next song in between tracks when playing music on "Shuffle All"? I have a lot of music on my phone and I'm not familiar with all of it so when I do "Shuffle All", I'm constantly turning on the screen to see what the current song is called and by whom it is performed. Another similar optional feature would turn the screen on for x seconds (maybe 30 seconds) automatically every time a new song is played. In that way I could just glance over at the phone and see what it is. It could be "force screen on at the start of each track". That wouldn't work when riding my bike but the first option would.

Also, I feel that the lock screen controls/miniplayer are often in the way and I'm always having to swipe down on them to get them out of the way when I want to do anything else on my phone. I think there's an option to only display the mini player when music is playing. I might try that. If I do that and music isn't playing, will I still see the notification controls?

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Dan, thank you for all your incredible work in continuing to develop my FAVORITE music player on Android.

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it.

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to add an optional setting that would announce the track name and artist for the next song in between tracks when playing music on "Shuffle All"? I have a lot of music on my phone and I'm not familiar with all of it so when I do "Shuffle All", I'm constantly turning on the screen to see what the current song is called and by whom it is performed. Another similar optional feature would turn the screen on for x seconds (maybe 30 seconds) automatically every time a new song is played. In that way I could just glance over at the phone and see what it is. It could be "force screen on at the start of each track". That wouldn't work when riding my bike but the first option would.

I've got a big list of features I want to work on and I raise the priority of features I feel will either benefit a lot of people or ones that a lot of users have asked me for. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't fall in either category. I don't think many people would find this feature useful. I think most people know all the songs in their collection. And if they run across one they don't for some reason, they can turn on the screen and view the song on the lock screen.

Also you can always turn on the "keep screen on while the app is open" option to force the display to stay on while using the app. There's also an option to only do this while the device is charging. This is the option I use because I always want to have access to the app while I'm working at my desk and the device is charging. I also find this option useful in my car (while it's mounted on the dash).

Also, I feel that the lock screen controls/miniplayer are often in the way and I'm always having to swipe down on them to get them out of the way when I want to do anything else on my phone. I think there's an option to only display the mini player when music is playing. I might try that. If I do that and music isn't playing, will I still see the notification controls?

That's why I added the option to only display the mini-player on the lock screen if music is playing when the screen is turned on. If music is not playing at the time you turn on the screen, the mini-player will not show up. However, if music is playing when you turn on the screen and then you pause the music on the lock screen, the mini-player will remain. You can always remove the mini-player on the lock screen by swiping down from the top (just like you can with the normal mini-player accessible by swiping at the bottom of the screen within any other app).

And if for some reason you still don't like it being on the lock screen (even while music is playing), you can choose to use the basic controls lock screen option which work on most ICS+ devices (although some manufacturers disable lock screen music controls on their devices). And of course on Android 4.2+, you can use the 4x2 widget on the lock screen.

hape

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Hi Dan,

I did some reseach for a GPL Bluetooth metadata example. I found the android dsub player that claims to support the feature and is available as GPL: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&token=ZSUwZSig

The src is here: https://github.com/daneren2005/Subsonic/tree/master/subsonic-android/src/github/daneren2005/dsub

in the source file: https://github.com/daneren2005/Subs...id/src/github/daneren2005/dsub/util/Util.java
you find:
Code:
public static final String AVRCP_METADATA_CHANGED = "com.android.music.metachanged";
    /**
     * <p>Broadcasts the given song info as the new song being played.</p>
     */
    public static void broadcastNewTrackInfo(Context context, MusicDirectory.Entry song) {
		DownloadService downloadService = (DownloadServiceImpl)context;
        Intent intent = new Intent(EVENT_META_CHANGED);
		Intent avrcpIntent = new Intent(AVRCP_METADATA_CHANGED);

if (song != null) {
            intent.putExtra("title", song.getTitle());
            intent.putExtra("artist", song.getArtist());
            intent.putExtra("album", song.getAlbum());

File albumArtFile = FileUtil.getAlbumArtFile(context, song);
            intent.putExtra("coverart", albumArtFile.getAbsolutePath());

avrcpIntent.putExtra("track", song.getTitle());
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("artist", song.getArtist());
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("album", song.getAlbum());
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("ListSize",(long) downloadService.getSongs().size());
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("id", (long) downloadService.getCurrentPlayingIndex()+1);
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("duration", (long) downloadService.getPlayerDuration());
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("position", (long) downloadService.getPlayerPosition());
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("coverart", albumArtFile.getAbsolutePath());
        } else {
            intent.putExtra("title", "");
            intent.putExtra("artist", "");
            intent.putExtra("album", "");
            intent.putExtra("coverart", "");

avrcpIntent.putExtra("track", "");
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("artist", "");
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("album", "");
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("ListSize",(long)0);
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("id", (long) 0);
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("duration", (long )0);
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("position", (long) 0);
			avrcpIntent.putExtra("coverart", "");
        }

context.sendBroadcast(intent);
		context.sendBroadcast(avrcpIntent);
    }

I had no chance to test it as the file player is not free in the store and I do not like the subsonic service to stream my music from home.
In google the most results for com.android.music.metachanged talks about hot to get the song info not about how to broadcast them.

Hop that helps
HaPe

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Hi Dan,

I did some reseach for a GPL Bluetooth metadata example. I found the android dsub player that claims to support the feature and is available as GPL: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&token=974TXF1w

The src is here: https://github.com/daneren2005/Subsonic/tree/master/subsonic-android/src/github/daneren2005/dsub

Thanks I'll take a look at it. When I try it out, I may send you a test APK to try out.

Now in your example above, it looks like it's sending a bunch of meta information. It seems like you would only need song, album, and artist names. Would you really need anything more than that? Do bluetooth receivers ever display any additional info?

hape

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks I'll take a look at it. When I try it out, I may send you a test APK to try out.
Do it any time and I'll test it

Now in your example above, it looks like it's sending a bunch of meta information. It seems like you would only need song, album, and artist names. Would you really need anything more than that? Do bluetooth receivers ever display any additional info?
I think the Radio in my lease car can display the song length. I would send all the information that I have and let the receiver decide what he uses.

On the other side I have a receiver that only displays the title even if you send all data. For that kind of receiver it would be good to have the title and the artist in the title tag as it scrolls the title. As discussed before I would like to have a chance to config what to send in the tittle tag. I'm with you from the User Interface Design point of view that this is a kind to geeky for the clear configuration and UI-design that you have.
As I already wrote in the webOS thread, I love your UI design. I would be happy if all developers would care that much about the UI. I know that, as I'm a professional developer and developer team lead since about 20 years.

HaPe

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Do it any time and I'll test it

I think the Radio in my lease car can display the song length. I would send all the information that I have and let the receiver decide what he uses.

On the other side I have a receiver that only displays the title even if you send all data. For that kind of receiver it would be good to have the title and the artist in the title tag as it scrolls the title. As discussed before I would like to have a chance to config what to send in the tittle tag. I'm with you from the User Interface Design point of view that this is a kind to geeky for the clear configuration and UI-design that you have.
As I already wrote in the webOS thread, I love your UI design. I would be happy if all developers would care that much about the UI. I know that, as I'm a professional developer and developer team lead since about 20 years.

HaPe

There isn't going to be an option to send the title and artist in the "title" field because the data being broadcast is not only used for bluetooth devices. The code above names the intent "avrcp", but really it's a general broadcast being sent to anything on the device that wants to use this data. So it wouldn't make sense to send extra information in any of the fields.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Version 1.2.0 has been released in the Google Play Store and submitted to the Amazon app store. It has a lot of great new features & enhancements.

My favorite new feature is the ability to bring up the mini-player while the phone is in landscape orientation. So now while you're playing a full-screen game such as Angry Birds or Minecraft, you can swipe up to display your music controls and current playlist without having to leave the app (since the notification bar is not available while an app runs full-screen). No other music app lets you do this!

Also there's a fun new Easter Egg. This one is a bit more challenging than the last one, but is well worth the effort to find. If you do find it, be sure to tweet me a screenshot (@MusicRemixApp or @Hedami).

But that's just the tip of the iceberg... Here's the complete changelog:

Version 1.2.0

- (New Feature) Display current song/album/artist info on bluetooth devices.

- (New Feature) When browsing a genre, add the ability to list all albums within a genre, in addition to all songs in a genre. Long-tap the "Song List", "Album List", or "Genre Wiki" tab to select that tab as the default view.

- (Enhancement) Replace the "X" next to each Fave with a "..." button. Tapping this button will display a popup with all the normal song/album/artist options. "Remove from faves" will be one of the available options.

- (Enhancement) Allow the mini-player to be displayed on phones while in landscape orientation.

- (Enhancement) If a lyric search fails, attempt to capitalize the words in the song name. The lyric search site is case-sensitive.

- (Bug Fix) Under certain conditions, the app could crash when exiting the app.

- (Bug Fix) While browsing YouTube videos for a song, if the mini-player was brought up at the exact time the device's back button was pressed, the app would crash.

- (Bug Fix) If you played most of a song then pressed the previous button to play it again, the play count wouldn't increment. But if you paused the song, it would finally increment the play count.

- (Bug Fix) Certain unicode characters in a song or artist name would cause the lyric search to fail.

- (Easter Egg) Easter Egg #2 (Hint: Take it up to the remix level).

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Here are screenshots of the new landscape mini-player while playing a fullscreen game (in this case Minecraft). To bring up the mini-player from within any other app, swipe up from the bottom of the screen. To remove the mini-player, tap the Back key or swipe down on the mini-player's titlebar (song/album/artist name).

Pause/play & skip forward and backward in the playlist by tapping the album art. Scrubber bar, shuffle toggle, and repeat toggle also available.
remix_miniplayer1.png

Select songs in your playlist and drag/drop the songs to re-order the playlist.
remix_miniplayer2.png

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Version 1.2.1 has been submitted to the Google Play Store and Amazon App Store. It just has a few bug fixes.

Here's the changelog:

- (Bug Fix) Certain autolists may have failed to work properly if faulty song play data was saved.

- (Bug Fix) The "remove from queue" icon is different in the Now Playing list vs. "..." menu on the Now Playing screen.

PossumPete

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Wow! This exactly what I've been looking for. I love the controls in the album art - very innovative. One thing not to do is to try and change the equalizer while a song is playing. That was a horrible sound!

Keep up the great work.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Wow! This exactly what I've been looking for. I love the controls in the album art - very innovative. One thing not to do is to try and change the equalizer while a song is playing. That was a horrible sound!

Keep up the great work.

Thanks I'm glad you like it. Yeah it always seemed to me like music apps were wasting screen space by placing separate pause/play, next, previous controls separate on the Now Playing screen. So instead of wasting this space, I place transparent tap areas on top of the album art. Not only does it save space on the screen, it also makes the controls much larger (finger-friendly). And with the extra screen space, I added configurable shortcuts above the album art (configure them by long-tapping them). That way you have one-touch access to functions like album art downloading, lyrics, youtube search, add to playlist, bookmarks, etc.

I change the equalizer while songs are playing all the time. There should be no reason you can't do that. In fact, it's the best way to do it since you can hear how the changes affect the sound. What exactly happened when you changed the equalizer while the song was playing? And what happens if you change the virtualizer and bass boost levels?

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Version 1.2.2 has been submitted to the Play Store and Amazon App store. It contains a fix specific to the Galaxy SIII (and maybe other devices). Thanks again to macbook5 who emailed me about the issue and submitted an "app not responding" report.

Changelog:

- (Bug Fix) On certain devices, like the Samsung Galaxy SIII, the app would lock-up when performing certain operations such as pausing the track.