Convince this long-time iPhone user...

NewportNerd

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Is there anything Android can't do that iOS does?

I am using FaceTime won't run on Android devices. (No big deal.)

But are there other things that Android can't do?

After having multiple iPhones since it was originally released I am not very impressed with the iPhone 5 and am finally ready to make the jump to a much larger screen - considering the S3 and Note 2.

Thanks in advance.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think giving android a chance will really open your eyes to what you have been missing. iPhone has its perks but at the same time it has its limits.

Give it a shot, what do you have to lose? There is always a return window of time to go back if your not happy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
There are a lot of users out there that are former iOS users. Switched and never look back. Just gotta choose the right android device for your needs and find your niche.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there anything Android can't do that iOS does?

I am using FaceTime won't run on Android devices. (No big deal.)

But are there other things that Android can't do?

After having multiple iPhones since it was originally released I am not very impressed with the iPhone 5 and am finally ready to make the jump to a much larger screen - considering the S3 and Note 2.

Thanks in advance.

Face time sucks IMO instead of face time we have Skype oovoo tango and plenty others

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rocking Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've use Android phones since 2010 and the iPad 2 since the day of release, so I can probably give a somewhat objective analysis. IMO, Android probably does about 90% of what iOS does, while iOS does maybe 70% of what Android can do. So you gain some, you lose some either way (but you gain more with Android)

Honestly, there's only a couple major things iOS does that I care about that I wish Android did.
  1. multi-finger guestures. The 4 finger swipe sideways to switch back and forth through recent apps is pretty sweet, whereas on Android I have to hold the home key a second to bring up the list. It's nice on my iPad to (for example) have Tapatalk and Chrome open, then just 4-finger swipe back and forth. On Android, it's another press. I am assuming the iPhone has similar functionality as the iPad (I'm honestly not sure).
  2. tap-to-top: On my iPad I can just tap the black bar at the top (what I would call the Notification Bar if it was Android) and the web page or whatever app I'm in jumps right back to the top of the page. It's a nice feature.
  3. I honestly think Passbook looks like a nice program/app, and Android doesn't have anything like it. I can use Key Ring to store my reward and gift cards and stuff, and I use TripIt to keep track of all my travel documents, but Passbook looks like it takes those one or two steps further. Knowing the Android development community, I suspect we'll have a version of it within a month or two though. After all, Siri-like apps took less than 24 hours to start showing up after iOS5 launched (yes, there were voice actions on Android long before that, but nothing as "human" as Siri that I know of). I'm sure someone will correct me with an app that was out at the time that I wasn't aware of though.
  4. I have yet to find anything on Android that rivals the ease of use of their Airplay feature to send videos/music to the TV or stuff. Yeah, I have a bluetooth speaker at work for music, and I have a DLNA capable PS3 that I can send videos too, but Airplay is a far superior solution and I hate to say it...."just works" Of course, you have to have an AppleTV to really make use of it. Granted, I haven't really looked into the Google TV devices, so maybe they offer something similar. I plan on getting a Nexus 7 to replace my iPad2, so I'll be researching that a bit more.
  5. While not really an iOS feature, it's more something that comes with owning an iPhone: Accessories. Android phones vary wildly in size and shapes and even the location of the micro USB port. And while Android as a whole has a much larger market share than iOS, no single Android phone sells in iPhone numbers. Thus it's unlikely Android will ever see a dedicated aisle in stores for docks and stereos and things like you see for the iPhone. Like I'll probably never see a stereo I can buy where I can just slide my Galaxy S3 into a slot at the top to connect it, so I stick with bluetooth enabled stereos, which is fine with me. Maybe someday manufactures will realize if they try to standardize some of that, they could also build accessories to sell us (like I'd buy a Samsung stereo with a dock if I knew that future versions of the Galaxy would work with it).
  6. Going along with the above, there is also the issue of certain models of cars or stereos being build with the iPhone specifically in mind (so you plug it in and the music you're playing shows on the car's stereo display and you can use the steering wheel controls to change tracks and stuff. Nothing like that for Android that I know, but my understanding is that Apple's new proprietary connector (Lightning) removes this "iPod Out" functionality, even with the adapter, so those car stereos won't work anyways. I'm sure all those mini-cooper and BMW guys will be happy when they buy their new iPhones and $30 adapters and the stereo doesn't work like it did any longer. Again, I just connect my Android via a headphone jack to my stereo (I'd use Bluetooth but I don't have a bluetooth stereo in my car). Sure I can't use my steering wheel controls to change the track, but it's not a dealbreaker to me. Maybe there are some Bluetooth stereos available that would allow the same functionality from an Android phone....I don't really know since I've never looked.

That's about it as far as major features I care about in iOS that I wish Android had (obviously there's some smaller things here and there as well), and that being said, Android does a TON of stuff that iOS doesn't do and completely blows it away. I'd rattle of a list if I had more time, but just look at the list of things Tasker alone can do that the iPhone only wishes it could. Or a "Find my Phone" app like Cerberus that blows away anything iOS has (ability to remotely take a picture or video or record audio from your stolen phone).

This is something that's often overlooked in Android, but I can't stress enough how important and awesome it is. You know how one of the major features of iOS6 is going to be Facebook integration (so it's going to have BOTH Twitter and Facebook)? You know what I had to do to integrate Facebook? Install the app. You know what I had to do integrate Twitter? Install the app. Dropbox? Install the app. Take a look on your iPhone and open up the gallery, choose a picture and press "Share" and see how many options you have to share it with (Tweet or Email are the only true sharing ones). If I do that on Android, I have roughly 36 options that include Email, Text, Flikr, Instagram, Google+, Picasa, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, Foursquare....the list goes on and on, And all I had to do was install those apps to integrate them. That's it. I actually laugh at iOS touting Facebook integration like it's something groundbreaking. Scoff, even.

As far as FaceTime, the Google+ Hangouts blow it away as well, and works across devices (including iOS). Not to mention Skype and everything else that works on everything. The trouble is convincing your iOS friends to use something besides FaceTime.

I have an S3 as well (the phone you're considering) and I think you'd be very happy with it.

Last edited:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
EvilMonkey pretty much just told you everything to know. But i would like to add that Android is 100x more customizable than iOS and is just as easy to use despite what most iFanboys will tell you.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Android Central Forums

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion if you have been loyal to iPhone it will be a hard transition. Android offers a lot of customizability options, without root (jailbreak), and it handles multi-tasking great. You'll have many alternatives to iPhone specific apps, iTunes sync'ing, etc. But it might be a tough transition.

Phone design options, carriers (though iPhone is with everyone now, except TMobile) and the way it's hooded up with Google services (some might argue this is kind of scary) makes it a good option for me. Are you due for an upgrade soon? If so, give Android a run and if you don't like take it back within the exchange window and get an iPhone 5.

tiramg

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Agreed with everything that was posted. I like Skype but until all my friends and family are using it... Face time is a feature I wish my Galaxy Nexus had. Also I still haven't found a dock I like for my Nexus. If I had an I phone, I have several places in my home and car where I could dock it. For now I still have to use the charging cable.
I have an ipod touch and my wife has an iphone and I jailbroke both. I have to say.... The ability to flash roms on Android devices is really the thing which puts it over the top for me. It's like I have a new phone every week as I tend to flash it every weekend. Using cydia is a much more cumbersome process.

My 2?.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
But i would like to add that Android is 100x more customizable than iOS and is just as easy to use despite what most iFanboys will tell you.

Yes, this is true. Android has this (unfortunate) reputation of being hard to use and only for people who "like to tinker." The truth is that despite forums like these talking a lot about rooting and flashing ROMs and stuff, only about 1% of Android users root and significantly less than that mess around with custom ROMs.

Android is not hard to use. Yes, there will be a bit of a learning curve, since you're switching to a new OS. But anyone can easily pick it up and do the basics (add email account, contacts, surf the web, install apps, etc). All of that is essentially the same as it is on iOS.

In my opinion if you have been loyal to iPhone it will be a hard transition.

The real difficulty will be if you're heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem. Music is no problem, but purchased movies might be (honestly not sure), as well as books. And of course how many apps you're going to have to re-buy or find alternatives for.

Anyways, these threads will help (and of course these forums are very helpful....everyone is generally nice....well for the most part):
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...tionary-aka-what-hell-they-talking-about.html

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The biggest differences is the dependency on itunes is gone(which to me is a great thing) and integration is for everything on Android. On an iphone, you are dependent on the default apps to some extent. On android, and you find an app you like better and the next time you have a chance to use it a box pops up to make it default and you never have to use the default again if you don't want to. You can even disable it. Also as stated, integration is a easy as downloading the app. It's then integrated. So stuff like having you friends Facebook pictures show up when they call you is care free.

Obviously ios services are gone, but they all have equivalents as far as I know.

Just make sure to find the right phone for you. One thing ppl make the mistake of doing on android is not looking into phones before they buy. Many phones are very different from one another, and you will want to fine the one for you. Also if you have the intentions of unlocking, rooting, and rom ing make sure to see what kind of development your phone has ahead of time.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Get a nexus 7 with pure Google and see what you think it'll help you with the transition and if you love it great not so much? Your only 200 in the hole and hopefully you can return it (maybe) but it will give you a better idea of what to expect

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

les017

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Sorry if I missed this re Facetime replacement, but if your going Android then I'd say taking great advantage of Google services makes great sense. Google+ Hangouts works great, works across all platforms, works across everyone's 3G/4G and is free.

dachurchpcguy

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have owned two iPhones, a 3g and a 4, BOTH on T-Mobile. There was only one app on ios that I couldn't find on android: "Solmetric iPV App". That's why I got the iPhone 4. I used it a while and it was fine.

I wanted a faster phone so I moved to an HTC Sensation, a Dual-core 1.2 GHz phone with 1GB Ram, I paid $166 for it used on ebay with an Otterbox Defender. I LOVE this phone!

My daughter got the iPhone 4 and it stopped charging last week so ... she's getting my Sensation and I'm upgrading to a quad-core Android phone. I sold the broken iPhone for $155 in 90 seconds on ebay and it's old Defender for $10. Basically what I paid for the Sensation! A quad core Android will run you between $250 and $500 with no contract extension.

If you're a T-Mobile customer there's an Android app that will reroute your cell calls to wi-fi if you find yourself out of service but within range of wi-fi... It works great.

Forgive the long story but my point is that you can get MUCH better value from an Android phone. PLUS the Apple CEO says Americans don't have the skills required to make Apple products so I lost the skill to buy them!