Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default New Speed Dial Application - Sign ***Now $0.99***

    We just released our first app, a speed dial widget, Sign. We would love to get everyone's feedback and comments. Here's a brief description.

    Sign is a unique, gesture based speed dialer for Android which lets you call or text your friends by simply drawing a gesture (signing) directly from your home screen.

    Unlike other speed dial options such as direct dial icons or quick dial widgets, you don’t have to worry about accidentally calling somebody just because you inadvertently bump your phone’s screen. Sign is still extremely fast, fun, easy to use, and best of all, you decide how to activate a text or phone call. Simply assign a gesture to any contact. To make a call or text, all you have to do is activate the widget and Sign right from your home screen. Simple and secure, it’s easy to use without even looking at your phone to find contacts or phone numbers.

    We developed an enhanced recognition engine to provide a more accurate, consistent, and reliable system to recognize the gestures you assign to your contacts. Sign lets you assign single OR multi-stroke “Signs” to the people you call or text most often.

    The free version, Sign Lite, has a limit of 3 Signs



    and the full version ($1.99) has unlimited Signs




    Give it a try and let us know how you like it. If you have any issues with it at all, please send an email to simplyapplied@gmail.com, we'll respond quickly to fix any issues. Also, we have quite a few ideas for future updates, but suggestions are always welcome.

    Thanks,

    Simply Applied
  2. #2  

    Default

    I was actually looking for a new speed dial type of app here recently. I settled on Speed Dial Old School, which is just what i was looking for. A speed dial that would let you assign a contact to a number on the dial pad and just press "call".

    this one sounds interesting though, I'll give it a shot with the light version and see how it works.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Just installed it and so far I really like it. I've only assigned 2 contacts right now but the option for call or text right there on the screen is nice. Seems really quick and responsive as well. Initial thoughts are definitely positive.

    I was thinking it would be a pain to have to assign a unique symbol or letter for each contact, but given the fact that you can use the same letter ,for example, and then it brings up all the possible matches, that works out nicely. Overall the initial setup of contacts would be a pain but then this app could be quite useful. Upgrading to the pro version is almost a given unless you only have 3 contacts in your phone book..lol
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Give it a shot, we're definitely interested in your thoughts, whether you like it or not. This is our first app, so all feedback is extremely beneficial. If you have any specific issues, send us an email and we'll try to fix it. We tested it on a bunch of different phones, but not all of them. That's one of the difficulties in programming for Android.

    Anyways, hope you like it. Thanks!

    Edit: Just saw your reply. Thanks for the feedback.
  5. #5  

    Default

    I did notice that if you select the "text" option, and you have multiple contacts with the same symbol.. like drawing an "m" for example..that it wont give u the option to select which contact you want to text like it does when u have "call" selected. It just randomly selected one of those contacts and opened the sms app.

    Im on a droid.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Yeah, it doesn't do that for the text. The thought was that accidentally calling the wrong person was much more of a nuisance because you have to scramble to hang up before it actually dials them. So that was implemented as a safe guard. With the text, you just hit back and re-Sign it. Definitely a good thought though and we'll consider adding that in a future update because I can't think of a good reason why it doesn't do that. The programmer may have had a reason and I'll have to discuss it with him.

    If you have multiple contacts with similar signs, the app does allow for multiple strokes, so you can use the first and last initial or add another identifying stroke which would hopefully alleviate the problem. It would also potentially speed up the process since you wouldn't have to select which person you meant to text.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Can't get it to work on my Evo. I downloaded it, set the options, and can open the app. But when I click on the person outline icon at the top right, none of my contacts are displayed. It's just a blank screen, whether I choose "View All" or "View Assigned."
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  8. #8  

    Default

    I just tried it on my EVO. Not bad so far. I was originally looking for an icon dialer, where I just touch a picture, but this seems pretty easy. You have the grey top and bottom, but in the middle you see everything on the screen that is underneath. You could have the option of a plain white, or other color screens. Or you could have an option to use whatever background the user has, minus all the icons and Sense Weather widget, etc. For the widget can you add text with the icon as an alternative also? If I think of any other suggestions I will let you know. I am going to test it a little more before I buy, but it does look very promising.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Can't get it to work on my Evo. I downloaded it, set the options, and can open the app. But when I click on the person outline icon at the top right, none of my contacts are displayed. It's just a blank screen, whether I choose "View All" or "View Assigned."
    Meyer...sorry you're having problems. We've tested with several EVOs and once we worked out a small bug with Sense, it seemed to work on those. If you don't mind helping us debug the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Just send an email to simplyapplied@gmail.com and we'll send you back some easy instructions that should help us identify the issue.

    Thanks!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I just tried it on my EVO. Not bad so far. I was originally looking for an icon dialer, where I just touch a picture, but this seems pretty easy. You have the grey top and bottom, but in the middle you see everything on the screen that is underneath. You could have the option of a plain white, or other color screens. Or you could have an option to use whatever background the user has, minus all the icons and Sense Weather widget, etc. For the widget can you add text with the icon as an alternative also? If I think of any other suggestions I will let you know. I am going to test it a little more before I buy, but it does look very promising.
    Thanks for the feedback. We are definitely planning on incorporating some customization for the widget and for the "screen" in the future. Glad you like it though!

    Also, one thing I found with the icon dialers/direct dial icons was that I would accidentally hit them from time to time and call people without meaning to. I accidentally called my pregnant wife a couple of times at about 2 in the morning and that's what led to the idea of creating something that wouldn't be so easy to accidentally call people
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
  12. #12  
    Groucho's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

    Default

    Sign works as advertised on my INC. The whole concept of this app was really well thought out and the implementation perfect. Don't try to slow it down by adding features that do not enhance the original purpose, to quickly and accurately dial or text.
    -----------------------------------------------
    The brightest Thunder-Bolt is elicited from the darkest Storm. Charles Caleb Colton ...
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BallCoach View Post
    Sign works as advertised on my INC. The whole concept of this app was really well thought out and the implementation perfect. Don't try to slow it down by adding features that do not enhance the original purpose, to quickly and accurately dial or text.
    BallCoach...Thank You. We spent a fair amount of time trying to think it through and make it as simple and easy to use as possible.

    Although the primary focus was developing a reliable gesture recognition system, we definitely want it to be quick and responsive, since that's the purpose of a speed dial app.

    We appreciate the input!
  14. #14  

    Default

    I'm not entirely sure this is my kind of speed dial (although admittedly, it functions better than anything I've tested thus far) but the polish, and the non-gimped Lite version are commendable.

    Keep up the great development.

    EDIT: Would certainly like to be able to default call/text. I would use this 99 times to text versus once to call, so having to hit text each time i launch the widget would grow old.

    EDITEDIT: Also, the difference between call and text may be a bit too subtle... you can barely tell which one is selected.
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kollock View Post
    I'm not entirely sure this is my kind of speed dial (although admittedly, it functions better than anything I've tested thus far) but the polish, and the non-gimped Lite version are commendable.

    Keep up the great development.

    EDIT: Would certainly like to be able to default call/text. I would use this 99 times to text versus once to call, so having to hit text each time i launch the widget would grow old.

    EDITEDIT: Also, the difference between call and text may be a bit too subtle... you can barely tell which one is selected.
    Thanks, and two great suggestions. I had already talked with the programmer about increasing the text size on selected buttons based on a couple other comments and we will do that. Also, we really like the idea of letting the user choose the default for call/text, so we are going to implement that this week also.

    Glad you like it and happy to hear it is working well. Hopefully the "gesture" based concept will grow on you over the course of a few days.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Perhaps make the "text" and "call" buttons text not necessarily "bigger" to show which one is selected, but rather change the color of the font? Just a thought. Either way this app shows some serious promise! keep up the good work!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default

    Chill...that's a good suggestion and actually, early on we actually had them as different colors, but the question was which one was activated, the "blue" one or the brighter "white" one? So we went with a size difference instead - we just need to bump up the font on the "selected" one a little bit. Hopefully that will make it a little more clear.

    Thanks!


    As an aside, does anyone here have an HTC Desire? One of the comments someone left was a problem with the Desire not showing the full menu. They didn't send an e-mail so we can't determine what the actual problem was, i.e., a resolution issue or something else. If anyone has a Desire, please let us know if you have any issues. Thank you.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    Ok, using a free app called ShootMe (Johan Cloetens), which worked great, I was able to upload some new screenshots. These do a better job of indicating how you Sign from the homescreen than the ones in the market.

    I apologize in advance for the size, I really resized them a couple of times but it isn't shrinking them when I post them here.

    The contact list with assigned gestures


    A single stroke Sign on the homescreen


    A multi-stroke Sign on the homescreen


    Multiple gestures within one Sign


    Call confirmation


    The settings screen


    Contact Assignment Screen
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default

    A quick note - We've had mostly positive reviews so far and only one significant bug identified - Sign currently only syncs with Google contacts, so if you use EAS/3rd party contact lists, these currently do not show up in the list of contacts you can assign a gesture to. This is a known issue that the programmer is working to implement a fix. If you have this issue and want us to keep you updated, send us an e-mail at simplyapplied@gmail.com and we will let you know as soon as that problem has been resolved.

    Also, if you have any suggestions, please let us know. We are currently working on an update to implement a few suggestions we've already received. The primary change will be Kollock's suggestion above to allow the user to set either call OR text as the default action. Hopefully that will reduce how often you have to select one or the other. We are also going to make the selected button more distinguishable.

    Thanks to everyone who has tried it out and for all of the comments/suggestions!

    SA
  20. #20  

    Default

    you really made a great app after using the free version a few days im going to buy the paid version keep up the good work
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default

    Thanks Johnny! Also, we should have the update I mentioned ready within a week so hopefully it will be even better after that.
  22. #22  

    Default

    One suggestion and a rather large bug.

    Suggestion first:
    I hate the giant scrollable list of "All available" contacts..it may work great for people with only a few dozen or a hundred contacts.. but when you get over 400, it's just too difficult to use.

    I have Google contacts labeled for a reason, so I can easily find them.. why not allow an option to change the view to a more 'folder/label' based structure so I can easily find the list of people to make a sign for rather than sift through hundreds of contacts??.

    Ok and now the rather large bug:
    When I load up this huge list, the first 30-50 items in the list have no name.. just a phone number with a prefix like "Other - (xxx) xxx-xxxx" or "home (xxx) xxx-xxxx". There is no identifier as to what this contact is.

    I tracked down the source of the problem...I believe these are the items I have in my contact list without a First Name field.. such as every company I deal with

    Your app does not appear to be pulling in the "Company Name" and assumes all contacts are individual people. This bug is what is stopping me from paying for your app as many of my 'most frequently' dialed numbers are not individual people but companies. (And before someone suggests it: I should not have to move the company name into the first name field in Google as that causes problems with other apps who properly read both fields to sort out contacts.)

    Please add the ability for your app to pull in the Company Name, whenever the First/Last name are blank.. or ideally it should have a better display such as this:

    John Smith
    Acme Demo Company
    Home: (###) ###-####
    Work: (###) ###-####

    That way should the contact have no First name, you will still see the Company Identifier.

    Fix those two issues above and You'll have a great app here!
  23. #23  

    Default

    I really like this so far. Closest thing I've seen to using my old Palm, which is NOT a bad thing. Some things are just more efficient, and a simple gesture is much quicker than cycling thru a couple icons, etc. No complaints yet.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidGnome View Post
    One suggestion and a rather large bug.

    Suggestion first:
    I hate the giant scrollable list of "All available" contacts..it may work great for people with only a few dozen or a hundred contacts.. but when you get over 400, it's just too difficult to use.

    I have Google contacts labeled for a reason, so I can easily find them.. why not allow an option to change the view to a more 'folder/label' based structure so I can easily find the list of people to make a sign for rather than sift through hundreds of contacts??.

    Ok and now the rather large bug:
    When I load up this huge list, the first 30-50 items in the list have no name.. just a phone number with a prefix like "Other - (xxx) xxx-xxxx" or "home (xxx) xxx-xxxx". There is no identifier as to what this contact is.

    I tracked down the source of the problem...I believe these are the items I have in my contact list without a First Name field.. such as every company I deal with

    Your app does not appear to be pulling in the "Company Name" and assumes all contacts are individual people. This bug is what is stopping me from paying for your app as many of my 'most frequently' dialed numbers are not individual people but companies. (And before someone suggests it: I should not have to move the company name into the first name field in Google as that causes problems with other apps who properly read both fields to sort out contacts.)

    Please add the ability for your app to pull in the Company Name, whenever the First/Last name are blank.. or ideally it should have a better display such as this:

    John Smith
    Acme Demo Company
    Home: (###) ###-####
    Work: (###) ###-####

    That way should the contact have no First name, you will still see the Company Identifier.

    Fix those two issues above and You'll have a great app here!
    Awesome feedback, thanks! You are correct that it doesn't handle blank names properly - we actually had to implement a fix to keep it from force closing in some instances, but we didn't really consider the company name aspect. I have let the programmer know that we need to have a backup (company name) for when there isn't a contact name. I like your idea of it also showing the Company name potentially. We will have to evaluate the best way to implement this, but it is definitely something we will attempt to include in one of our early updates. I hate to give a timeframe without discussing it with the programmer, but I'll report back.

    I agree 100% that you shouldn't have to change your phone's contact list to make our app work properly. That's our responsibility.

    As far as the contact list, I agree that it can be a bit tedious when the number of contacts gets to be too high. We will look at a better solution for that - maybe the ability to start typing the name would work to narrow the list. Folders might work, but I'm not sure how easily that could be implemented without complicating the process since a majority of users probably don't have the contacts separated into folders. We'll definitely research it.

    Theoretically speaking, you would only have to scroll through the list when you want to add a speed dial sign to a contact, and then you wouldn't have to do that again for that specific contact. Depending on the number of contacts you want to add to Sign, that could be as few as 1 and up to an unlimited number, but based on our beta testing, almost all people have less than 20, and most have less than ten.

    However, in a business environment, which is your concern from what I gathered from your post, it could be more often. Out of curiosity, how many speed dials would you need to create? I'm asking because I don't know how many speed dial Signs I could remember.

    Anyways, we will take a look at the contact list issue and see if we can develop something that is effective, but doesn't significantly impact the size, speed, and responsiveness of the app.

    Thanks again, we had not fully considered the app as a potential business tool. However, I think for people in a variety of industries who need to be in constant communication, your suggestions are extremely helpful. Thanks. Also, I will follow up with our progress on these in this thread; however, if you want to send us an email to simplyapplied@gmail.com I can keep you updated on these specific issues and also let you know when they are resolved so you don't have to keep checking back to this thread.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    I really like this so far. Closest thing I've seen to using my old Palm, which is NOT a bad thing. Some things are just more efficient, and a simple gesture is much quicker than cycling thru a couple icons, etc. No complaints yet.
    Zorro, glad you like it so far. Hopefully some of the updates we are implementing will make it even better.

    I haven't used a Palm, but were there any features that you liked which you think would improve Sign?

    I'm certainly not guaranteeing we'll include those features, but it never hurts to consider all the options.

    Thanks!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions