App to automatically switch phone on and off?

AM_SOS

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all !

This is my first post to the forum and I am quite excited to be joining the world of Android and Free Software!

I had got myself an Xperia U, but was not very happy with the size of the screen and the high resolution and ending up getting the more basic Xperia Miro. You see, I am not a power user and just need basic functionality from my phone.

Now one of the wonderful things about Android is the presence of numerous apps on Google Play. Since I have earlier used Linux Ubuntu for quite a while, I was expecting to find an app that lets me power down the phone at a preset time (in the night for me), and then boots it up (early in the morning) at a user defined time.

Unfortunately, though I did look around I am yet to find such an app. So, will someone let me know if they know of such an app? Or alternately, if no such app exists is there any workaround to the problem?

Thanks!

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If you mean completely power off and later re-boot, I don't think so. Not sure how any app could restart the phone if it is powered down. On the other hand, if you mean simply turning it off and on at pre-set times, this app may work (I'm not familiar enough with it to know for sure).

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all !
I was expecting to find an app that lets me power down the phone at a preset time (in the night for me), and then boots it up (early in the morning) at a user defined time.

Unfortunately, though I did look around I am yet to find such an app. So, will someone let me know if they know of such an app? Or alternately, if no such app exists is there any workaround to the problem?

Welcome to AndroidCentral.

If you're looking for turning off just the Phone part of your device i.e. no calls/sms from your carrier. Yes, it's possible with Airplane mode. But, If you want to shut the whole damn thing OFF, well not possible as far as I know(correct me if am wrong).
It's strange that cheap feature phones can be turned OFF completely and will Turn on for the alarm on their own, even when the phone was OFF. But our current generation smartphones can't make it happen. I've also been looking for a similar app for a long time, so do post back here. If you find anything.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, welcome to Android Central

I'm not really sure if there's an app that can do that.
Since you said you want to turn off the phone at night, I guess you don't want to be bothered with calls ,notifications & stuff like that ! If so,there's an app called ZDBox that have a "Do Not Disturb" mode , which mute all your notifications (or some of em if you like) or puts your phone into Airplane mode for a specific period of time & after the time ends it goes back to normal.

I've been using this feature for a month now on my Atrix, the phone automatically mute everything except alarm (I set it that way) at 12:00 a.m. & then goes back to normal at 9:00 a.m.

I set it up in my father's SGS II to mute everything from 2:30 p.m. to 5.00 p.m.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zdworks.android.toolbox&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS56ZHdvcmtzLmFuZHJvaWQudG9vbGJveCJd

Parag Agarwal

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
New generic android phones with Android 4.0 and above have a feature in settings menu >> schedule power on off. This is similar to what you are looking for. You only need to exploit this further and make it work when charger is connected.

twighahn

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I use a power off app and the app AutomateIt to run the app

My phone has 4.0 but where is that seeing

- - - Updated - - -

Setting

Power boot, Startup Manager, Reboot Manager / Widget, Fast Reboot Pro

Last edited by a moderator:

Mohit Saxena

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Micromax phones has this feature, like I have micromax Doodle which has this application inbuilt, and everyday my doodle switches off at my specified time in night and automatically switches on at my specified time in the morning. I don't have to set it everyday, Once i specified and it works brilliantly everyday.

AndrewPaulB

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Oppo Find 5 does it only with its Original ROM ColorOS. It even turns on your phone if you have an alarm set. Awesome phone... So best is to speak to Oppo representatives but it's a feature which needs to be included with the kernel.

MCT TX

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My BLU smartphone came with this function. It's a really great function, power off at 10:00pm, power on at 7:00am, really saves on power. However, I too have been looking for an app to do this as I'm thinking of getting a different phone. But alas, no joy. You would think this would be a function on all smart phones by now. But leave it the "smart" engineers/developers...........tend to miss the obvious.

storge

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
most cheap phones bought online have this as standard feature which can not be lived without, how can people spend each day turning fone on then off, there are better things to remember each day, all my fones have it but they break fast too so that is the problem with cheap chinese fones, a few on ebay still have those with this function but not cheap any more, start from $80 including postage for android 4.2 with all the tinsel.

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

If you're looking for turning off just the Phone part of your device i.e. no calls/sms from your carrier. Yes, it's possible with Airplane mode. But, If you want to shut the whole damn thing OFF, well not possible as far as I know(correct me if am wrong).
It's strange that cheap feature phones can be turned OFF completely and will Turn on for the alarm on their own, even when the phone was OFF. But our current generation smartphones can't make it happen. I've also been looking for a similar app for a long time, so do post back here. If you find anything.

Im using oppo find7.. In these phone,u can on/off the phone in what time u want automatically..u can find it in Setting>More>Timing Power On/Off.. U can set on what time u want the phone off,and what time u want it to on..no need to download it app store..u just find it here in oppo family..or maybe other phone also have..what u need to do is, LOOKING FOR IT..

Mac_Droid16_9

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

BLU phones are the first I've ever seen to do this. In the settings list at the end (right before accessibility and developer options), there is a "schedule power on & off" which allows you to set times for powering off completely and coming back on. Almost like alarm settings. Not to be obvious - I have a BLU SC Super Camera, that's how I know. Though they are really not great phones, I enjoy this option and wish my LG G3 had it.

bjbolduc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, my old blackberry was able to shut down at a specified time and restart at a specified time.
I think for Android the best you can do is to shut down functions (wifi, data, etc) at specified times