Google voice.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Can I use google voice to send text messages if u had a message plan that was only let's say 500 messages just to make my bill cheaper? Or would those messages count against my limit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Chevyracing252

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
As long as u use the Google voice app, mobile website, or your PC, and Google voice will only use data from your plan, and not text messages.

Beware.... Google Voice DOES have a few limitations such as no MMS support and you can't text to "shortcode" numbers (numbers must have area code and full telephone number)...

I have used Google voice almost exclusively for about 3 years now to avoid having to pay for testing on my plan and it works great.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I set it all up earlier and I couldn't figure out how to send messages from my google voice number it always sent from my regular number

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Chevyracing252

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
You don't use the stock "messaging" app when sending a text through Google voice... You have to use the Google Voice app and the "compose" option to start a thread. On my GS2, once I installed the app, but when I hit "send a message" from my contacts, I was prompted to select a default app to use and I set mine to Google voice so my messages always come through Google voice unless I actually use the stock "messaging" app.

One other thing you need to make sure of is that you have the full 10 digit number stored for each of your contacts because since Google Voice can't detect your location, and you must provide it with a valid area code for each call or text message.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Android Central Forums

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have a problem using Google Voice to place a call from a Nexus 7 or other tablet over wifi? I can make calls from my laptop, through a browser using the same Google account associated with my N7, but the Google Voice android app doesn't seem able to make calls. I can listen to GV voicemails but that's about it. Maybe I'm missing some configuration but making and receiving calls seem like they should be core functionality for a Google Voice app.

Thanks for the help.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else have a problem using Google Voice to place a call from a Nexus 7 or other tablet over wifi? I can make calls from my laptop, through a browser using the same Google account associated with my N7, but the Google Voice android app doesn't seem able to make calls. I can listen to GV voicemails but that's about it. Maybe I'm missing some configuration but making and receiving calls seem like they should be core functionality for a Google Voice app.

Thanks for the help.

Google Voice doesn't do VoIP through the mobile app. It does call routing/forwarding. Meaning, you need to have phone service on the device.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've made calls from an Android phone with no cell service, over wifi only, for free, using the app grooVeIP. Works great, it uses your Google Voice number. The only little thing for me is there is maybe a 2 second delay, but I think it's great for free voice calls to any number in the U.S. and Canada. You can even receive calls if you set it up on G Voice on the desktop.

Chevyracing252

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
The ONLY way you will be able to "make and receive" calls from the Nexus using Google Voice will be to install a SIP application that is compatible with Google Voice. I have actually used GrooVeIP on my Galaxy S2 when travelling and roaming to keep from using roaming minutes or dealing with signal strength. Since most of the hotels that I stay at usually have very good WiFi signal coverage in my rooms, I just turn off the 3g service on my phone, connect to WiFi and use GrooVeIP for making and receiving calls. There are two versions on the play store. One of them will only allow calls via WiFi, but the paid version will let you make SIP calls via WiFi and 3G. For the Nexus, I would just try the lite version and see if it does what you want it to.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys. I installed GrooVe IP Lite from the Play store and it worked great on my Nexus 7. I'm annoyed Google doesn't have this built into their GV app, when I can and do make GV calls from my laptop over the same WiFi connection, but I'm happy-happy to have this solution. I really appreciate the quick help.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Glad it's working for you, it's a cool app!

Is anyone else seeing a 2-second delay with grooveIP? It is definitely a great service, but for me anyway, it seems to require a slight adjustment by both parties when having a conversation. I am using it literally a couple feet from my router, so perfect wifi signal.

Last edited: