prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
just a word to any folks from swype lurking in these forums....

Do you see the amount of interest in this app? We love it and want it available. Your goofy and pointless "closed" beta is causing installation problems and unofficial leaks with decreased functionality and creating MUCH ill will for you otherwise wonderful product.

Releas the damn thing already and charge us a fair price of about $2 and then update as needed.

It's about as finished as it can get and the only real functuionality issues are in the installation process that is, by far, the most convoluted and involved process I've ever seen for an app.

I rooted and overclocked more easily than going through your headach of closed beta. PLEASE make the app available in a simple download from market.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
just a word to any folks from swype lurking in these forums....

Do you see the amount of interest in this app? We love it and want it available. Your goofy and pointless "closed" beta is causing installation problems and unofficial leaks with decreased functionality and creating MUCH ill will for you otherwise wonderful product.

Releas the damn thing already and charge us a fair price of about $2 and then update as needed.

It's about as finished as it can get and the only real functuionality issues are in the installation process that is, by far, the most convoluted and involved process I've ever seen for an app.

I rooted and overclocked more easily than going through your headach of closed beta. PLEASE make the app available in a simple download from market.

I agree with you. But how is rooting and over-clocking your phone easier than letting two installers do their thing? I mean honestly you only go to one url download the installer, install it. Open it, type in your username a password and it downloads and installs Swype. I think there may be a bit of over dramatization here.

But I wish they would release it to everyone it sure would cure a lot of issues of people looking for "under the table releases" or that stupid install type. I agree with Prometheus, I would rather pay $2 and download and install from the market, this closed beta is getting ridiculous at this point. Especially considering it must not be too beta anymore because it's now coming out on production phones. With all that being said anyone can get a hold of the .apk if you look around.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I originally downloaded it from a hack site. I didn't even know I was " unofficial". It "expired"
Then when I tried to get the official beta the process was a pain in the neck to completely uninstall the hacked one.

Yes, yes yes.... My fault for putting the original one on my device without swype's blessing. However, I would assume that most people are like me and are unaware that an apk they get is in actuality obtained improperly.

point is: closed beta had no real purpose and is a disservice to the app and an irritation

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I originally downloaded it from a hack site. I didn't even know I was " unofficial". It "expired"
Then when I tried to get the official beta the process was a pain in the neck to completely uninstall the hacked one.

Yes, yes yes.... My fault for putting the original one on my device without swype's blessing. However, I would assume that most people are like me and are unaware that an apk they get is in actuality obtained improperly.

point is: closed beta had no real purpose and is a disservice to the app and an irritation

No don't take me wrong dude, I agree with you. It is a pain in the rear with this whole closed beta deal. Seems like they would just put it out, which is what I was eluding to in my previous post, because it is already coming as a stock keyboard with certain phones. Just seem ridiculous. They haven't pushed any new updates either, the last leaked version I have is the exact same version I got officially from the beta. Been in it since the hour they opened it up this time, and not one update from it yet, so it isn't what I would consider an active beta. Maybe sometime in the not to distant future everyone will see it pop up into the market, hopefully!

ronin1

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
SlideIT keyboard

I hear everyone talking about Swype, which isn?t even out yet when I?ve been using SlideIT for a while now and LOVE it. I?ve used the Swype beta and I gotta say, SlideIT just works better. Its dictionary is better, it?s word prediction is better and it?s way of choosing alternate words is better. Instead of forcing you to choose from a popup menu, it makes its best guess then gives you an unobtrusive menu of alternate words to choose from in case it got it wrong. Please, try SlideIT, it?s a superior keyboad and it?s already available.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I hear everyone talking about Swype, which isn?t even out yet when I?ve been using SlideIT for a while now and LOVE it. I?ve used the Swype beta and I gotta say, SlideIT just works better. Its dictionary is better, it?s word prediction is better and it?s way of choosing alternate words is better. Instead of forcing you to choose from a popup menu, it makes its best guess then gives you an unobtrusive menu of alternate words to choose from in case it got it wrong. Please, try SlideIT, it?s a superior keyboad and it?s already available.

Swype does all that too if you go into setup and select your options the way you want it. I've used every slide board out there, and some that you can't even get anymore, there is nothing close to Swype. Each to his own though SlideIT may just be a better fit for you.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I would love to try swype but don't know how to get it :(

Wish they'd just release it already. Tried slideIT and like it, but will probably wait for Swype.

CharlesA03

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Question:

How come when I double tap a word, it doesn't come up with alternate words?

I want to be able to type my entire text message, and then go back and quickly adjust any words that need changed. I've watched several tutorials, and I should be able to double tap (highlight) the words....which should bring up other words.

This isn't happening. Why?

Also....when highlighting a word, it doesn't give me the option to remove it from my Swype dictionary.

Last edited:

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I've tried them all and I agree regarding SlideIT, but it's HIDEOUS! It looks like an alpha keyboard, but it works amazingly well, super easy to use.

I've read Swype isn't interested in offering it as an app, but only as a built in. I wouldn't be surprised. If they did ever did offer it as an app it would be worth more than $2. Talk about low-balling.