Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
No that isn't the case. This happens a lot, even with very brief touche.
Your swipe has too much of a horizontal component to register as a vertical swipe hence no scrolling, but not horizontal enough to swipe an item for delete. Instead the whole swipe is registered as the beginning of a long press. The subsquent touch triggers the end of the long press, hence the reordering.

Just try to swipe more vertically.

CypherMK

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Your swipe has too much of a horizontal component to register as a vertical swipe hence no scrolling, but not horizontal enough to swipe an item for delete. Instead the whole swipe is registered as the beginning of a long press. The subsquent touch triggers the end of the long press, hence the reordering.

Just try to swipe more vertically.
Haha. Really. OK, I also tried a perfect verticale movement, and guess what? It happened again.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Can I provide you with more info to resolve this issue?

Ok, I did some testing on my Pixel. The only time it happens consistently is when I open the app from the lock screen notification, opening from the notification in the drawer does not produce the same result.

When the app reopens, the playlist is redrawn and it seems that the touch is catching it during the redraw. Unfortunately, there really is not too much I can do. The app requests the redraw the same way no matter how it's reopened so it seems that for some reason when it's opened from the lock screen the redraw sometimes runs slower or doesn't quite complete. It looks like a glitch in the system and I don't think there's any good way to work around it.

CypherMK

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
My work flow is, I unlock my nexus 6p with my fingerprint and click the persistent notification in the notification drawer. And then it happens. Not always but regularly.

Good that you can reproduce it. I hope someday you will find a solution.

Fletch43

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
After a recent update to your app, every time I open the app, I get a pop up saying: "Cast to a nearby device". The pop can not be closed and I can't do anything else with the phone until I reboot it. Any help would be appreciated. Love the app normally!

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
After a recent update to your app, every time I open the app, I get a pop up saying: "Cast to a nearby device". The pop can not be closed and I can't do anything else with the phone until I reboot it. Any help would be appreciated. Love the app normally!

I too am having a chromecast issue after the latest update. It automatically connects to chromecast. how do i go back 1 version?

The automatic casting seems to be bug (or maybe future feature?) Google introduced in a recent update to Google Home or maybe Google Play: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/00b79rIKacA

Rebooting the phone may help or uninstalling Google Home could possibly help too.

I think it only affects some versions of Android. I don't experience it on my Pixel.

konus

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I would like to request an additional way to choose a different server for my current player. Reason: I keep always looking for it.

I imagine a good place could be the player manager. Why don't show players from other servers too and allow drop and drag to assign a player to a different server or a synced group? The necessary procedure to sync two players is not very intuitive/ easy by the way. I always end up syncing in the wrong player as parent so my playlist is gone.

BTW: is there a known working way to show lyrics with this or with an other app?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I would like to request an additional way to choose a different server for my current player. Reason: I keep always looking for it.

I imagine a good place could be the player manager. Why don't show players from other servers too and allow drop and drag to assign a player to a different server or a synced group? The necessary procedure to sync two players is not very intuitive/ easy by the way. I always end up syncing in the wrong player as parent so my playlist is gone.

BTW: is there a known working way to show lyrics with this or with an other app?

Sorry, but I'll have to say no to both ideas.

For the server switching, it will require the app to connect to an arbitrary number servers at the same time for it to work reliably and that would require such a fundamental change to how the app works that it's really not worth it for one minor feature.

For the drag and drop syncing, that type of interface is really inefficient when you want to sync multiple players and even for a single player I find it really clunky. Besides, drag and drop interfaces are a pain to implement and prone to errors and it's not worth the trouble when it's just duplicating a existing function that already works quite well.

As to the lyrics, there is a plugin you can get for the server. I don't remember the name of it though. Just go to the plugins page of your server settings, scroll down the list and you should be able to find it.

Chrism0nk

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Just bought Squeeze Crtl a month ago and love it, had been using Orange Squeeze for a year or 2 but this is way better.

Question - I cant figure out how to get a different background color for each player (I have 2 or 3 players running). If I change the default background color all players pick up that color. Is it possible to have each player a different color and if so how?

NO DON"T WORRY, I found out how to do it!

Cheers

Last edited:

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,
on my device Squeeze CTRL still download files twice and names them sth like 01_Letitbe.mp3 and 01_Letitbe-1.mp3 etc. I think I have asked before but couldn't there be the possibility to ignore these files and not download them?
Apart from that the app is supergreat...

MiddleFraz

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Hello. Thanks for supporting a great app, and particularly, thanks for supporting it on Windows 10 mobile as well. (Completely awesome)

I am running a combination of Logitech Squeezeboxes (V3) and soft (squeezelite on picocore).

Is there a way to access the mysqueezebox streams (apps and radio) away from home? Squeeze player on the phone and Squeeze control running it? Or do I need a LMS entity running to provide that?

Album art from the radio streams is really nice, and the controls are so nicely thought out. Thanks again.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
You can have Squeeze Ctrl connect directly to MySqueezebox.com. I don't own Squeeze Player but you should be able to connect directly to MySqueezebox.com by manually entering the address. If it doesn't work, there's chance that the author of that app hard coded it to not connect to MySB, because Logitech doesn't really like software players to do so since you're using their resources with something they didn't make.

niconum

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello (Wayne),

I have Squeeze Ctrl and SB Player on a Leagoo M5 with Android Marshmallow. This is a fairly cheap phone which does data over 3G only (using UMTS frequency bands WCDMA-IMT-2000 and WCDMA-GSM-900) and I'm trying to get streaming audio working from mysqueezebox.com while I'm on the move in the Paris area, France.

When I'm on 3G, SB Player connects in Low bandwidth mode (which is fine, probably). After a few minutes of streaming I either get a "command stream error" from SB Player and then "data stream ended", or I also frequently get a "no players connected" from Squeeze CTRL. When the audio dies in this way, I can usually restart the stream manually almost immediately by first selecting another favorite and then switching back to the one I was originally listening to.

As far as you know, is having a constrant stream of audio over 3G while moving around on foot or in a car an achievable goal?

I also get the occasional disconnect over wifi at home in SB Player high bandwidth mode against mysqueezebox.com.

The bandwidth requirement for the radio stations I'm listening to appears to peak at 200 kbps. What I don't understand though is that when the audio dies I still appear to be using that bandwidth.

I should point out that I do also have my own LMS server at home and that streaming the same radio stations through that seems generally more stable but I don't at this point have the ability to connect this way when I'm not home. (Reluctant to open up my network to the outside world really...but I'll do it if I have to)

If you can suggest any troubleshooting steps, or solutions, I would be grateful.

Thanks, Nico.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello (Wayne),

I have Squeeze Ctrl and SB Player on a Leagoo M5 with Android Marshmallow. This is a fairly cheap phone which does data over 3G only (using UMTS frequency bands WCDMA-IMT-2000 and WCDMA-GSM-900) and I'm trying to get streaming audio working from mysqueezebox.com while I'm on the move in the Paris area, France.

When I'm on 3G, SB Player connects in Low bandwidth mode (which is fine, probably). After a few minutes of streaming I either get a "command stream error" from SB Player and then "data stream ended", or I also frequently get a "no players connected" from Squeeze CTRL. When the audio dies in this way, I can usually restart the stream manually almost immediately by first selecting another favorite and then switching back to the one I was originally listening to.

As far as you know, is having a constrant stream of audio over 3G while moving around on foot or in a car an achievable goal?

I also get the occasional disconnect over wifi at home in SB Player high bandwidth mode against mysqueezebox.com.

The bandwidth requirement for the radio stations I'm listening to appears to peak at 200 kbps. What I don't understand though is that when the audio dies I still appear to be using that bandwidth.

I should point out that I do also have my own LMS server at home and that streaming the same radio stations through that seems generally more stable but I don't at this point have the ability to connect this way when I'm not home. (Reluctant to open up my network to the outside world really...but I'll do it if I have to)

If you can suggest any troubleshooting steps, or solutions, I would be grateful.

Thanks, Nico.

As far as I know streaming through a mobile connection while moving is achievable, at least when connecting to a home server. Several users have mentioned using SB Player to connect to their home server when they're driving or running. I don't know if they are on 3G or LTE though.

Your connection problems could simply be because of cheap hardware, your phone service, or problems with MySqueezebox.com, which is not known for stability.

Unlike simple streaming apps, SB Player emulates a hardware Squeezebox, which requires a persistent connection between itself and the server. Occasionally messages are passed back and forth between the player and the server to keep the connection alive and to report player status to the server, even when there's no stream playing. Squeezeboxes were never designed to be used over a mobile connection and thus was never optimized for unstable and data capped connections.

Honestly, I always thought using SB Player to connect to MySqueezebox.com was kind of redundant. You're adding an extra layer of complication to use services that have dedicated apps for the phone. You probably have a better experience using the apps. The only advantage is being able to access multiple services from one app, but unless you use a lot of different apps, I just don't really see that as a huge advantage.

If you do decide to try streaming from home, I would suggest getting a router that has a built in VPN server. This way you can have a secure connection between your phone and your network and you wouldn't have to open up any ports.

Foppe

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
Squeeze ctrl starts casting to chromecast as soon as I open the app. It's driving me nuts! I cannot seem to turn off this behaviour, which leads me to believe this is a bug of some sort. I am on Nougat by the way. Anyone else with the same issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy