Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By discdoc
  • 1 Post By ejqr5
  • 1 Post By mmmike
  • 2 Post By discdoc
  • 1 Post By SBM_from_LA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    discdoc's Avatar

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

    Default Prevent Apps From Automatically Starting

    Does anyone know of an app that prevents apps from automatically staring? I notice that many apps run in the background (Sprint Navigation, Amazon MP3 Store, etc...) even though I don't need them to. I'm looking for an app that only lets other apps start when I start them. I know of all the task killers out there, but they only shut down an app after it's already running. There are also apps that prevent apps from running at bootup. I'm looking for an everyday solution, not just when I restart my phone. Thanks!
    Glenn Chu likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default

    There's an app called AutoStarts. That might be what you're looking for.
    discdoc likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Startup Manager. It's in the market.
    discdoc likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    discdoc's Avatar

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

    Default

    Autostarts and Startup Manager seem to be what I'm looking for, but they both require your phone to be rooted. Is there an app that does what they do, but for non-rooted phones? Thanks!
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discdoc View Post
    Autostarts and Startup Manager seem to be what I'm looking for, but they both require your phone to be rooted. Is there an app that does what they do, but for non-rooted phones? Thanks!
    Sorry, meant Startup Cleaner. I use it; it doesn't require root, and it's in the market.
  6. #6  
    Nirvana328's Avatar

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock

    Default

    Sorry to hijack, but does anyone who uses Startup Cleaner (or Startup Cleaner Pro) actually notice any improvement or any performance issues with their phone after using this app?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    discdoc's Avatar

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana328 View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but does anyone who uses Startup Cleaner (or Startup Cleaner Pro) actually notice any improvement or any performance issues with their phone after using this app?
    I was using Autostarts and I noticed no improvement... same for ATK. I think all of these memory managers aren't necessary for modern versions of the Android OS, only for very early versions. If you think about it, why would Google put out a product that relies on third party software to make it work correctly? If it was so important, wouldn't Google build it in to the operating system?
    TheRyland and Nirvana328 like this.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discdoc View Post
    I was using Autostarts and I noticed no improvement... same for ATK. I think all of these memory managers aren't necessary for modern versions of the Android OS, only for very early versions. If you think about it, why would Google put out a product that relies on third party software to make it work correctly? If it was so important, wouldn't Google build it in to the operating system?
    You're right that these are not needed, but from a surface view, I think they might help in how long it takes to clear up memory when it's needed. So if you don't load and use the memory, it doesn't need to clean it up when a new program starts so things seem faster.

    As you can tell from my observation, my task manager is doing a bad job on my brain,,,,,,now where's that reboot switch??????
  9. #9  
    Arelunde's Avatar
    TECHFAN

    Posts
    1,338 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,634 Global Posts

    Default

    You can shut down background apps...

    Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Menu>filter>running

    Then select those you want to stop (make sure it's not an essential app for the X ops), touch "stop".

    They will start running again when you open the app next time.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Prevent Apps From Automatically Starting

    I'm getting angry at this. I had the original Epic 4g and when I stopped apps, they didn't start up till the phone was rebooted. Now I got this Epic Touch 4g, apps start themselves all the time even after I start them. I can check my applications manager 15 mins after I stop the app and it has started itself again!!!! I spend all day stopping apps in my apps manager!!!!! WTH!!!!!
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Prevent Apps From Automatically Starting

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRyland View Post
    I'm getting angry at this. I had the original Epic 4g and when I stopped apps, they didn't start up till the phone was rebooted. Now I got this Epic Touch 4g, apps start themselves all the time even after I start them. I can check my applications manager 15 mins after I stop the app and it has started itself again!!!! I spend all day stopping apps in my apps manager!!!!! WTH!!!!!

    You have to ROOT

    sorry no other way to do it right.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Prevent Apps From Automatically Starting

    Every time I hear someone ask this question... people always respond saying how Android is designed to do this or that... or this or that isn't needed... blah... blah... blah... but no one really seems able or willing to just give a straight answer to the question or don't really know what they are talking about.

    I'll give you the best answer. The answer is: Without a Rooted phone it simply can NOT be properly done. Those apps that claim to work on non-rooted phones don't really work... You have to have administrator access to prevent apps from starting up... plain and simple..

    Rooting an Android device isn't really hard at all.. just about 2-3 clicks that takes less than 30 seconds... Once you do that, then you install an App Manager or Startup Manager and then go to startup options to prevent it from starting up on boot. Another good App you could use is Greenify. I started using that and it seems to work great. That particular program could be set to cause any app to go into Hibernation Mode. What that does is causes it to go into a light sleep. The App isn't frozen and will wake back up when it's needed and there isn't any noticeable delay in launching the app, either. I use Greenify to cause seldem-used app to sleep when I'm not using them, otherwise Android would keep them fully in memory when not in used.
    Bryan Cruse likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Prevent Apps From Automatically Starting

    Quote Originally Posted by SBM_from_LA View Post
    Every time I hear someone ask this question... people always respond saying how Android is designed to do this or that... or this or that isn't needed... blah... blah... blah... but no one really seems able or willing to just give a straight answer to the question or don't really know what they are talking about.

    I'll give you the best answer. The answer is: Without a Rooted phone it simply can NOT be properly done. Those apps that claim to work on non-rooted phones don't really work... You have to have administrator access to prevent apps from starting up... plain and simple..

    Rooting an Android device isn't really hard at all.. just about 2-3 clicks that takes less than 30 seconds... Once you do that, then you install an App Manager or Startup Manager and then go to startup options to prevent it from starting up on boot. Another good App you could use is Greenify. I started using that and it seems to work great. That particular program could be set to cause any app to go into Hibernation Mode. What that does is causes it to go into a light sleep. The App isn't frozen and will wake back up when it's needed and there isn't any noticeable delay in launching the app, either. I use Greenify to cause seldem-used app to sleep when I'm not using them, otherwise Android would keep them fully in memory when not in used.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Prevent Apps From Automatically Starting

    Yeah your right about that, the only part wrong about your answer or I should say the part you left out is that you should check with your service provider, because you may end up with a rooted phone, but you won't be able to use it because you'll be in noncompliance with your contract or agreement of terms and services.. One of the biggest agreements that all service providers really hint at is not to change or alter the software, which you would be doing if rooting your phone (Android), or (hijacking (Apple) your phone...Check with your service provider, if all is good, your good to go....
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Prevent Apps From Automatically Starting

    If your rooted use clean master I use it to kill auto start and clean out cache deep clean too

    Sent from my rooted S6 using Tapatalk
  16. #16  
    Raulrocks's Avatar
    Junior Member

    Posts
    0 Posts

    Default Re: Prevent Apps From Automatically Starting

    Rooting is always done at your own risk. I don't believe there is a service provider out there that would be like, "sure go ahead and root your phone, it's okay." If there is, PLEASE let me know. They sound very progressive.

Posting Permissions