A question for PHIL!!!!

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
What kind of service should I expect from a developer your site refers me too?

I didn't know Tapatalk existed until I visited Android Central last week on my EVO. When I did I had a pop up that read "Android Central is Tapatalk native, click here to learn more"
So I did, and I read through the sales pitch and decided what the hell only three bucks I'll give it a try. So I paid for it but was at work so I decided to play with it more when I was off work. Well I forgot about it for a few days then I received the same notification when I visited the site again. I remembered that I paid for the app a few days earlier so I went to my application list to find it and nothing. I am so used to the marketplace just working I didn't even check to see if it downloaded the day I paid for it. (MY fault) I had received an email notification through Google checkout that I had paid for it but no download was received and I did not receive any emails from the vendor. So I went to the marketplace found tapatalk and downloaded it thinking I could just enter my email address for the paid version but no dice. That is not an option I keep getting redirected to the page that requires payment?????? I have sent an email to tapatalk directly three days ago with no response yet. In Google check out there is a number you can call to reach the vendor, that number is to some dude who has NO CLUE what Tapatalk, application development or ANDDROID is! I have been in the Tapatalk forums but nothing fruitful there yet. So at this point I ask Phil, should the developer of an application that your website has directed me too give me some kind of customer service? I mean this is getting borderline stupid in my opinion. I had a problem with Titanium backup and that developer took care of my issue right away via email and it was on a weekend! I didn't expect that kind of service from the maker of Titanium backup but it sure was nice. It also makes me want to search out anything else he has his hands in because I feel confident that he will give me support when or if I need it. I cant say the same for Tapatalk :(

Here is the forum to date:

http://www.tapatalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12495#post12495

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
All AC (or any other forum) has done is enable the Tapatalk plugin (at the request of members like yourself) within the forum software, Vbulletin, to enable access with the Tapatalk. The popup you are seeing is generated by that plugin. We have no direct relationship with them.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Thank you

Thanks for the reply, I guess members should know what is going on with this application then. So far they are sub-par at best. If you receive your download I would assume it is a good application, I wouldn't know.
It is only three bucks so it is not the end of the world, but it is just frustrating.

All AC (or any other forum) has done is enable the Tapatalk plugin (at the request of members like yourself) within the forum software, Vbulletin, to enable access with the Tapatalk. The popup you are seeing is generated by that plugin. We have no direct relationship with them.

I think Android central should get a percentage of of the application based on the number of members who use it. Only fair in my opinion. As far as members like me requesting, like I said I didn't know the application existed until I saw the pop-up on my phone. That in itself led me believe that Android Central was endorsing the application. I am not a developer and should not be expected to understand how this stuff works. If I visit AC and get a pop-up for an application I can only assume it was put there by AC to make money, that is why I paid. I thought I was supporting AC by buying the application through AC. Maybe the Tapatalk people should be required to have a disclaimer that AC is not endorsing the application before we purchase? I hope you can see this from a regular persons perspective and not a developer or administrator. Most regular people who don't understand (Like me) code and how web sites are put together will naturally assume that if we get a pop up when we visit AC that the application is endorsed by AC.
Now that I understand my frustration is not with AC but the developer of the app itself. I hope you can see how one could assume AC is behind the app when they visit and get that popup.

Again, thanks for the reply

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You can challenge the charge with your credit card company. In writing, tell them you never received the merchandise, and they'll likely reverse the charge. I'd give the vendor a little more time to reply first, though.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Yep I will

You can challenge the charge with your credit card company. In writing, tell them you never received the merchandise, and they'll likely reverse the charge. I'd give the vendor a little more time to reply first, though.

It isn't the money, it is only three bucks. The only reason I would challenge is because it will actually cost them money if I do challenge. It is the lack of service I have the issue with. Funny this app was supposed to make forums easier to use, hopefully they will respond but like I said in my response I thought I was supporting AC through the purchase of the application. If I knew they had no connection at all I would have done a little more research before buying. At this point I will not be buying anything else remotely tied to these people if I can avoid it.

I went through Google check and filed this.

Google Checkout

Hello App Merchant,

William C Stone Jr has sent you the following message:

Damaged/incorrect item for order #561058074739514:
I have not received my download for tapatalk yet. What do I do now? Thank you, William Stone
Order date: Jul 7, 2010 5:53 PM PDT
Google order number: 561058074739514
Shipping Status Qty Item Price
Digital delivery 1 Tapatalk Forum App (Pro) - Over 4000 forums have activated Tapatalk! v1.6.4 -support thread view theme switching v1.6.3 -Widget support -Added prefix... $2.99

Tax (CA) : $0.00
Total: $2.99

Replies to this email will be sent directly to William C Stone Jr.

This should get a response but I shouldn't have to go this far to resolve the issue. I would suggest staying away from this application unless they get their crap together. Man you have to research everything before you buy nowadays.

Last edited:

TheMobileWorx

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The developer has no control over google checkout. It actually messes up a LOT more than you would think. One of my many gripes about the google market.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Thats fine and I understand

The developer has no control over google checkout. It actually messes up a LOT more than you would think. One of my many gripes about the google market.

Thats fine and I understand but shouldn't there be a reasonable response time for issues such as mine? Should I be here at day 4 of having issues with no response? I do understand that this includes the weekend but anyone developing apps has a smart phone no matter what the platform may be, iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile or Android. So it is hard to say that this issues has not been read by someone, so I am taking it that I am being ignored. I could be wrong and this may be a company that is bit larger than one developer. In that case shouldn't I have received that annoying auto generate message letting me know just how important my business is? And someone will get on my issue right away? I understand that "S" happens and things do not always work as intended. That is 100% acceptable and I do truly understand this. It is the lack of service thus far and the time spent trying to fix the problem I have the issue with. Do you as a developer think what I have gone through at this point is reasonable? Should anyone buying your apps expect the same treatment if they have similar issues?

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Though I completely sympathize with your situation I have no idea why you're posting all this here. There are several Android websites/forums and none of them, including this one, has anything to do with the Market or the developer of this app. (which is a very good app when it works, btw)

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Did you read the first post?

Though I completely sympathize with your situation I have no idea why you're posting all this here. There are several Android websites/forums and none of them, including this one, has anything to do with the Market or the developer of this app. (which is a very good app when it works, btw)

Did you read the first post? I started this thinking AC was endorsing this app and collecting a fee for the sale through the pop up link. That is how it strted and the rest was just a response to others comments.

To be fair I have been contacted by someone at Tapatalk offering to fix the situation and I cannot help that this little rant on AC had something to do with it. So as it stands they are taking care of the issue now so case closed.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I guess members should know what is going on with this application then. So far they are sub-par at best. If you receive your download I would assume it is a good application, I wouldn't know.
It is only three bucks so it is not the end of the world, but it is just frustrating.

I think Android central should get a percentage of of the application based on the number of members who use it. Only fair in my opinion. As far as members like me requesting, like I said I didn't know the application existed until I saw the pop-up on my phone. That in itself led me believe that Android Central was endorsing the application. I am not a developer and should not be expected to understand how this stuff works. If I visit AC and get a pop-up for an application I can only assume it was put there by AC to make money, that is why I paid. I thought I was supporting AC by buying the application through AC. Maybe the Tapatalk people should be required to have a disclaimer that AC is not endorsing the application before we purchase? I hope you can see this from a regular persons perspective and not a developer or administrator. Most regular people who don't understand (Like me) code and how web sites are put together will naturally assume that if we get a pop up when we visit AC that the application is endorsed by AC.
Now that I understand my frustration is not with AC but the developer of the app itself. I hope you can see how one could assume AC is behind the app when they visit and get that popup.

Again, thanks for the reply

Unfortunately the pop up is built in to their plugin. We had a lot of people requesting Tapatalk, so we installed it, but there isn't a way to disable or modify it (the popup) as far as I can tell.

I'm glad they resolved your issue.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been flashing the cm 6 night ly builds. I just flashed the cyanogen protected apps market apk. Through this I was able to see tapatalk pro and purchase it. Gotta say this app is really nice when you can actually purchase it and use it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Why didn't you just test the demo version first before paying for it?

Tapatalk Forum App (Demo) - Android app on AppBrain

Does the tapatalk render andriod central website differently ? or does it look the same?

I won't install the free demo version because it doesn't have 4 stars :p lol , all my apps I got are 5 starred and 4 stars are as low as I will go ;) the demo is only rated 3.58 stars .

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Op. Did you look in your market dls and see the app? If you didn't dl it would just purchased click on it and will dl you've all ready been charged so u will not be charged again. I love this app its basically turns it into a mobile sight and u can up load pictures directly from your phone. As for the pop up it only appears when visit a main sight not the mobile version.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Read the whole thread

Why didn't you just test the demo version first before paying for it?

Tapatalk Forum App (Demo) - Android app on AppBrain

Look at the beginning of this thread, I did. I then purchased the full version and never could get my download. Finally they just refunded my money without trying to fix the problem and I never could see it in the market again. When I tried appbrain the pro version would show up but I could not download load it. Finally my fix was to use the protected apps market fix for cyanogen C6 builds. Now I was finally able to see it, buy it and it actually works. The marketplace has a bug in it that needs to be fixed and apparently cyanogen has figured out what Google cant.

Oh BTW the steelers suck

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its not a market bug. Some Roms that are using bits and pieces from 2.1 and 2.2 have issues with the market. The rom cookier has to make a seperate fix to get the permissions working. Hopefully with the release of a fully function. 2.2 rom this problem will be fixed once and for all.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Its not a market bug. Some Roms that are using bits and pieces from 2.1 and 2.2 have issues with the market. The rom cookier has to make a seperate fix to get the permissions working. Hopefully with the release of a fully function. 2.2 rom this problem will be fixed once and for all.

That would make sense, but the problem started while I was running the stock rooted 2.2 . After flashing the cyanogen nightly builds I found the market fix and used it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781