Swiftkey vs Swype

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not swype...but handcent messaging has a pop up reply, pretty much just pop ups ur message over whatever you're doing. This lets you reply directly back, or "x" out of the reply and it closes the window so u can go back to what you were doing. With this pop up reply, there is a microphone for voice to text option. Swype + handcent = perfect for me, i get the swype keyboard the handcent voice to text option. I reply to texts pretty much immediately every time, so the pop up works really well.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey, in my opinion, seems like it would be very well received by folks who were, at one time, heavily reliant on the predictive text of feature phones that don't have anything other than a standard number pad. With that method of typing, if you want to get any speed benefit, you have to pay attention to what the software is predicting you word to be while your in the middle of typing. In other words, if you don't pay attention to what it is predicting and you just keep typing out the full words, you get no speed benefit from it. This is why I'm sticking with Swype, because once I get on a roll typing out a word, I'm not paying attention to what the software is predicting it to be while I'm in the middle of typing it. Such an approach requires my brain to switch between locating letters on a keyboard and checking the word prediction with the addition of each new letter... type a letter, check the word choices, type a letter, check the word choices, etc, etc, etc. No thanks, I'll stick with Swype for now.

-SR-

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey, in my opinion, seems like it would be very well received by folks who were, at one time, heavily reliant on the predictive text of feature phones that don't have anything other than a standard number pad. With that method of typing, if you want to get any speed benefit, you have to pay attention to what the software is predicting you word to be while your in the middle of typing. In other words, if you don't pay attention to what it is predicting and you just keep typing out the full words, you get no speed benefit from it. This is why I'm sticking with Swype, because once I get on a roll typing out a word, I'm not paying attention to what the software is predicting it to be while I'm in the middle of typing it. Such an approach requires my brain to switch between locating letters on a keyboard and checking the word prediction with the addition of each new letter... type a letter, check the word choices, type a letter, check the word choices, etc, etc, etc. No thanks, I'll stick with Swype for now.

-SR-

did you even try Swiftkey for that long??

i have been using it for a day now and i love it. its fast nice UI. i dont use the voice to text so that doesnt really matter to me. ive tried swype and i noticed a speed issue as well as the "swipe" feature is not all that flashy. PLUS swiftkey is in the "first" beta it has potential. swype tries too hard to be fancy with unimpressive results. as for now Swiftkey is nice. try it before you knock it

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've tried Swype a couple of times for a couple of days each time and I've gone back to the stock HTC keyboard each time. Its nasty habit of being absolutely certain of knowing what word you want, even if you don't agree, means you come to a dead halt as you repeatedly need to erase the word and carefully attempt to re-input it only to have it re-guess wrong. Any speed benefits are erased by fighting the system.

I've been trying SwiftKey and while the text prediction is spooky, I've found the lag in getting started unacceptable. When I start typing, I'll be into my 2nd word when I realize it's just started several letters into the first word. (e.g. typing "Anything else you..." results in "Ytng" or similar garbage output.) After a few words it seems to warm to the task of writing, but the first few moments are spent slapping this thing awake. Also, it doesn't work with Handcent's Quick Reply box. You can tap it to death and it won't respond. I either have to switch to stock or X out of the QR and open Handcent proper.

EDIT: Handcent proper doesn't work if you leave it open - i.e. send a text and don't switch away to another app. When you go to reply to an incoming message w/o going to the thread list, it doesn't open the keyboard. Back to stock for now.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've tried Swype a couple of times for a couple of days each time and I've gone back to the stock HTC keyboard each time. Its nasty habit of being absolutely certain of knowing what word you want, even if you don't agree, means you come to a dead halt as you repeatedly need to erase the word and carefully attempt to re-input it only to have it re-guess wrong. Any speed benefits are erased by fighting the system.

I've been trying SwiftKey and while the text prediction is spooky, I've found the lag in getting started unacceptable. When I start typing, I'll be into my 2nd word when I realize it's just started several letters into the first word. (e.g. typing "Anything else you..." results in "Ytng" or similar garbage output.) After a few words it seems to warm to the task of writing, but the first few moments are spent slapping this thing awake. Also, it doesn't work with Handcent's Quick Reply box. You can tap it to death and it won't respond. I either have to switch to stock or X out of the QR and open Handcent proper.

EDIT: Handcent proper doesn't work if you leave it open - i.e. send a text and don't switch away to another app. When you go to reply to an incoming message w/o going to the thread list, it doesn't open the keyboard. Back to stock for now.

It works just fine for me. Sometimes there is a lag in the prediction but the keyboard has never failed to pop up for me. I also use Handcent. I gave it a week and I like it, but I also the multi-touch keyboard from the Droid X. It doesn't predict but it has a good layout and I'm really fast on it. I've been using Swype for a day now and I'm getting used to it. I haven't decided which one I'm gonna stick with, but it looks like i'll be leaning toward swype (texting in portrait is so easy with swype).

EDIT: To be more specific I have experienced your situation with Handcent but didn't have any issues with the keyboard popping up. Try the keyboard from the Droid X if you don't like swiftkey or swype, it's awesome.

h4zm47

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been using it for a couple of days now and actually am really enjoying swyftkey. It learns as you type, and can take the messages you have already typed and learn from that (works better if you have a lot of text messages on phone). It does take some getting used to remembering to check that window up top for the word you're getting ready to type tho.

Verapakill

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I just started using swiftkey but you can tell that it learns your words very quick I can see this being a great app after a few weeks of texting

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I think swype is much better. I just have to learn to slow down or I will have more errors.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey is great! Just installed it and the predictive txt is awesome and it seems to utilize the space on the screen better since the arrow keys are removed. I like that the space bar is at the bottom in portrait mode. The stock EVO keyboard had the arrows under the space bar and I would always hit an arrow key instead of the space bar. Wish there was an option to remove the arrow keys from the stock portrait keyboard. Haven't tried swype yet, but as soon as the beta is available (again) I'll give it a shot too. I highy recommend Swiftkey keyboard for EVO users. It's a definite improvement, IMO.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've used both and prefer swype over swiftkey, but in the end I choose to stick with stock because the dedicated microphone key is a must.

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone here have a strong opinion about swiftkey versus swype? I've been using swype for a while. It's much better than stock (though I didn't try the HTC keyboard). At the same time, I'm not so blown away as to think nothing will be able to compare. Because I'm old and lame, it takes me longer than I'd like to admit to unlearn one keyboard and learn another.
Thoughts?

Hey you should make a poll so ppl can get a feel for the thread without having to sift through pages of posts.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I really dig the way SwiftKey can predict things. I typed the text, "Actually, I am." in only 7 keystrokes: A-C-space-comma-space-space-period!

Unfortunately, in Handcent, it usually refuses to open when I tap the input area unless I rotate it to landscape and back to portrait first. Once they square that bug out, I'll probably stick with it. Unlike the person above, I miss the arrow keys when I need to go back and edit something; tapping is too hit and miss.

manhattanmarg

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi - I'm new (to EVO4G) and old (not as old as dirt, but close) - my question is: can either Swiftkey or Swype be used for e-mails as well as texts? I rarely text but always e-mail - sorry if this is a stupid question, and thanks for your replies ;^)