Seeking help using Google Voice outside US

aslowe

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to find a post related to this. Please reply with a link if I've missed it.

I'm using a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk (previously on VZW Galaxy Nexus). I don't use my mobile number. I use Google Voice for calling, SMS and voicemail. My question is,....if I take my Nexus 4 out of the country (I spend a lot of time in Canada and I have some trips planned to the EU) and buy a local SIM card will Google Voice work as I use it now? Will it not work at all or will it depend on the country/carrier I'm operating in? If anyone knows, have they verified it?

Last edited:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes and no. Text messages will work, because they're purely data.

Placing a call gets a little tricky, because it's going to try to dial internationally, and that's when you run into the "Can't use GV overseas" problem, at least in my experience. You can still receive calls on your GV number just fine.

aslowe

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information Phil. Do you know if using an app like GrooVe IP would bypass the international dial? If my understanding of how it works is correct, then it would be no different then using your browser to dial. I know that I've used my Google Voice in Ireland from a browser without a problem.

This maybe a moot point though. My next trip my fianc?e will probably want my phone to not exist. :-D

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
GrooveIP will work as long as you have wifi access, or a data plan. It is data-based, so calls are going through a data connection instead of over cell calls / minutes.