Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smooth4lyfe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    Jelly Bean 4.1.1 user on HTC One X+ on AT&T.

    I'm a little disappointed with the AT&T Visual Voicemail App. First off, there's no pop-up on my lockscreen when I wake the phone that indicates there's a new voicemail. Only indication is the tiny Visual Voicemail icon in the notification bar which you have to swipe down to see the who called. There's no repeating reminder setting either as far as I can see that you have a voicemail waiting. I could easily not notice the tiny icon up there. And lastly, on the ATYT VVM app icon, there's not unread counter! Are you kidding me?

    I see the most popular alternatives are YouMail and Google Voice. I see a history of thread with people having, shall we say, "uneven" experiences with YouMail. Considering this is an Android phone I would expect Google Voice is best. I already have a GV account but it has it's own phone number. I love the text transcription feature so I can actually instantly see the jist of the voicemail before deciding if I need to listen to it or not.

    So how do you disable AT&T VVM and re-route the phone to your Google Voicemail box? (Assuming Google Voice IS the best solution.)

    Here's the big question. If I use Google Voice, I assume in the app there's a way to call back the person that left the voicemail Can it be configured to call back using my regular phone and not call using Google voice? People will think I got a new number if when I press the callback function it uses Google Voice to call them back!
    Last edited by consultant1027; 11-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    (completely biased response below -- disclaimer: I work for YouMail)

    You should give YouMail a chance Granted, in the past, we've had our ups and downs as a small, scaling start-up. However, we've made big moves recently that continues to propel us forward towards being the best option in handling your missed calls.

    Here's a general breakdown of our Free and Premium products:
    https://store.youmail.com/

    Our free edition allows you to easily customize voicemail greetings for any or all of your contacts, block unwanted callers and txt'ers, and much more.

    Our business edition beefs up voicemail into an actual productivity tool with missed call auto-replies via txt or email, email notifications carbon copy, and lots more. We've also got Read-It Transcription plans that you can throw in, which ensures consistently high quality and accurate voicemail transcriptions edited by real people, which are always private and secure.

    Ultimately, I understand that everyone has different needs. Check out our features and see if they align with what you need visual voicemail for. Realtors, management consultants, and other business-oriented people love our premium service and transcriptions (no more guesses on if the machine transcription is accurate!) We have lots of users that are more consumer-oriented that love the ease in assigning and maintaining special greetings for their contacts and sharing/saving the voicemails that are important.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    i like Google Voice "Lite" -

    -----

    Set up or Remove Google voicemail fon your mobile phone

    Set Up Google voicemail on your phone

    Google Voice Lite lets you set up Google voicemail for your mobile phone number. You'll have all your voicemail in one place, with transcriptions, access to your past voicemails, and voicemail sharing options.

    Set up or Remove Google voicemail on your mobile phone - Google Voice Help
    Last edited by Gekko; 11-25-2012 at 04:27 AM.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxYM View Post
    You should give YouMail a chance Granted, in the past, we've had our ups and downs as a small, scaling start-up. However, we've made big moves recently that continues to propel us forward towards being the best option in handling your missed calls.
    I tried YouMail over a year ago, actually bought the Pro version (before I fully evaluated it.) - I'm on the Sprint Network and the biggest problem for me was a long delay - about 5 seconds - from the time the phone stopped ringing (from the caller's perspective) until my voicemail message played. That was too long of a delay - some people would think I didn't have voicemail or there was an issue so they would hang up without leaving a message. I reported this to YouMail support and while people were very helpful, having me try different YouMail numbers, the problem was never resolved so I was forced to switch to Google Voice, which was 100% better. When someone called, my Google Voicemail message played within a second or two of the phone answering (from the caller's perspective.) Not long after that, Sprint integrated Google Voice into their system so that my actual Sprint phone number became my Google Voice number.

    So, did YouMail ever get the voicemail delay issue fixed when using Sprint?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    I don't know if it has all the features you're looking for but I really like PF VoiceMail +. One feature I especially like is that I can receive faxes on my phone, with a copy sent to my email. It does play an alert and a reminder for missed calls/received VMs. And the widget shows a counter with new & saved VM count to see. It is a subscription of I believe 1.99 a month for the service. My husband is very sick and I get elevently billion calls and faxes pertaining to his care. It's well worth the $24 a year to me.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteTrekker View Post
    I tried YouMail over a year ago, actually bought the Pro version (before I fully evaluated it.) - I'm on the Sprint Network and the biggest problem for me was a long delay - about 5 seconds - from the time the phone stopped ringing (from the caller's perspective) until my voicemail message played. That was too long of a delay - some people would think I didn't have voicemail or there was an issue so they would hang up without leaving a message. I reported this to YouMail support and while people were very helpful, having me try different YouMail numbers, the problem was never resolved so I was forced to switch to Google Voice, which was 100% better. When someone called, my Google Voicemail message played within a second or two of the phone answering (from the caller's perspective.) Not long after that, Sprint integrated Google Voice into their system so that my actual Sprint phone number became my Google Voice number.

    So, did YouMail ever get the voicemail delay issue fixed when using Sprint?
    I'm so sorry that you experienced that issue with YouMail, while on Sprint. We've since crafted a much better relationship with Sprint and our carrier partner. So far, we haven't heard any complaints of the delay. If you decide to give us another shot, mention me (along with this thread) when you contact support AT Youmail.com, and I'll throw a discount/credit your way!
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    I can tell you that I'm on Verizon with YouMail right now and the delay you are referencing definitely IS THERE. I get complaints about this ALL the time. I love YouMail but geez, fix this issue. I am a paying customer too. I've contacted their support several times (3 years ago even) and no improvement whatsoever has been made in this department. Switching to google voice this week
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    I've been using this one for a month now and it's the best one for me:

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...plus.and&hl=en
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    Shoot me an email - marketing AT Youmail.com with your account phone number, so we can check it out.

    It definitely shouldn't be happening.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    Hullomail is the best... It's simple, easy interface, easy to set up

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
    Ian Instigator likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxYM View Post
    Our free edition allows you to easily customize voicemail greetings for any or all of your contacts, block unwanted callers and txt'ers, and much more.
    While this may be a highlight feature of the YouMail service, I have found that in practice, this is not well executed. I originally was drawn to this feature as I did not want any of my personal contacts to have to listen to a drawn out business greeting.

    The problem is that there is no easy way to assign contacts, or multiple contacts to different groups. It's an extremely frustrating process to use their web app. If you've got 100+ contacts in your phone (which most people do), it's just not worth it. When I emailed support for advice on this, the response was:

    Unfortunately at this time we do not have a efficient way to assign multiple contacts to a group at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.
    Until you do have an efficient drag/drop way to assign contacts to groups and manage existing lists/groups, maybe it would be best not to highlight how your service can use different greetings or block calls based on a call's caller ID.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    Quote Originally Posted by eskayo View Post
    While this may be a highlight feature of the YouMail service, I have found that in practice, this is not well executed. I originally was drawn to this feature as I did not want any of my personal contacts to have to listen to a drawn out business greeting.

    The problem is that there is no easy way to assign contacts, or multiple contacts to different groups. It's an extremely frustrating process to use their web app. If you've got 100+ contacts in your phone (which most people do), it's just not worth it. When I emailed support for advice on this, the response was:



    Until you do have an efficient drag/drop way to assign contacts to groups and manage existing lists/groups, maybe it would be best not to highlight how your service can use different greetings or block calls based on a call's caller ID.
    I really appreciate all your feedback. We did surveys a few months ago and believe it or not, custom greetings for groups did not score highly. However, this is something we'll be sure to revisit and discuss to add into the mobile apps and improve upon in the web experience. We've got a small team (10 employees total), but since a feature like that can make or break the experience for you, then it's something we'll definitely look to invest in.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    AT&T is my carrier. A few of months ago I switched from iPhone to Nexus 4, and installed YouMail. My biggest issue is that when I'm on the phone, I don't get a notification that another call has come in, and so it rings into voicemail. I've missed important calls while on unimportant calls. Is this a settings config issue on the Android side, or the YouMail side, or a limitation that just is?

    This issue and no Luxor in the Google Play Store are the only things that make me miss iPhone. :-)
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    Quote Originally Posted by YouMailSupport View Post
    (completely biased response below -- disclaimer: I work for YouMail)

    You should give YouMail a chance Granted, in the past, we've had our ups and downs as a small, scaling start-up. However, we've made big moves recently that continues to propel us forward towards being the best option in handling your missed calls.

    Here's a general breakdown of our Free and Premium products:
    https://store.youmail.com/

    Our free edition allows you to easily customize voicemail greetings for any or all of your contacts, block unwanted callers and txt'ers, and much more.

    Our business edition beefs up voicemail into an actual productivity tool with missed call auto-replies via txt or email, email notifications carbon copy, and lots more. We've also got Read-It Transcription plans that you can throw in, which ensures consistently high quality and accurate voicemail transcriptions edited by real people, which are always private and secure.

    Ultimately, I understand that everyone has different needs. Check out our features and see if they align with what you need visual voicemail for. Realtors, management consultants, and other business-oriented people love our premium service and transcriptions (no more guesses on if the machine transcription is accurate!) We have lots of users that are more consumer-oriented that love the ease in assigning and maintaining special greetings for their contacts and sharing/saving the voicemails that are important.
    Are you kidding me? Why would I pay $5 a month for visual voicemail? Google voice for sure
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Best Visual Voicemail? AT&T? YouMail? Google Voice? Unread counts? Reminders?

    I use the AT&T Visual Voicemail app quite happily. It does give a notification when a new voicemail arrives, not a pop-up but still it's a visual notification..
    Quote Originally Posted by consultant1027 View Post
    Jelly Bean 4.1.1 user on HTC One X+ on AT&T.

    I'm a little disappointed with the AT&T Visual Voicemail App. First off, there's no pop-up on my lockscreen when I wake the phone that indicates there's a new voicemail. Only indication is the tiny Visual Voicemail icon in the notification bar which you have to swipe down to see the who called. There's no repeating reminder setting either as far as I can see that you have a voicemail waiting. I could easily not notice the tiny icon up there. And lastly, on the ATYT VVM app icon, there's not unread counter! Are you kidding me?

    I see the most popular alternatives are YouMail and Google Voice. I see a history of thread with people having, shall we say, "uneven" experiences with YouMail. Considering this is an Android phone I would expect Google Voice is best. I already have a GV account but it has it's own phone number. I love the text transcription feature so I can actually instantly see the jist of the voicemail before deciding if I need to listen to it or not.

    So how do you disable AT&T VVM and re-route the phone to your Google Voicemail box? (Assuming Google Voice IS the best solution.)

    Here's the big question. If I use Google Voice, I assume in the app there's a way to call back the person that left the voicemail Can it be configured to call back using my regular phone and not call using Google voice? People will think I got a new number if when I press the callback function it uses Google Voice to call them back!

Similar Threads

  1. Best visual voicemail on Straight Talk
    By flroots in forum Other US Carriers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Yesterday, 04:55 AM
  2. Visual Voicemail AT&T
    By josephparzi in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 12:10 AM
  4. Voicemail App- Can't use Google Voice
    By SkyG in forum AT&T Galaxy S II
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 11:26 PM
  5. Voicemail now going str8 to google voice on 2.2
    By g1toevo678 in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions