Send/Receive text messages on a tablet(without a phone)

danhund

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Anything out there that will let you send and receive text messages without actually having a cell phone or cell account?

I know that I can send and receive text messages through an email account using sms gateways (#phonenum#@vtext.net). And I also know that Google Chat will let me do this in a fairly user-friendly way, but only on the Gmail website that I can tell.

Is there an app that can leverage available technology in a seamless way to allow this from an Wifi only Android tablet like the Nexus 7? Basically, is there a way for my kids to text with their friends, without paying a monthly fee for the privilege?

Thanks,
Dan

ForTheGlory

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Google Voice is tied to a phone#, however it is not one that has to be on your phone. Google voice gives you your own phone# & it is your choice to link it to your phone or not.

What are really trying to do? Text messages by definition are attached to a phone #. There are plenty of chatting apps that use a data connection (Google Talk, KIK messenger, etc), but if you want a true SMS, it has to be linked to a phone #.

Sorry, just read the rest of your post in which you explained your ultimate goal. Google Voice would give them the greatest flexibility. It gives you a phone #, without you even owning a phone & provides SMS using a data connection. That is what I use to text from my tablet. Just go to voice.Google.com & signup for a Google Voice #, and it will give you step by step instructions on how to set it up. Best of all, if they like that phone #, they could use it for phone service also, once you feel they are ready to get phones.

Also, many people (including kids) use chat apps like Kik Messenger, Kakao Talk or Google Talk to chat back and forth using only a data signal. Most of those apps are cross platform with apps for Android, iOS, etc.

Hope that helps.

FYI, the TALK app that comes preloaded on every Android device is Google Talk. This is the app version of Google Chat from the Gmail website. They are one & the same. You could even start a conversation on the website and finish it on your android device.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

danhund

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Google Voice is tied to a phone#, however it is not one that has to be on your phone. Google voice gives you your own phone# & it is your choice to link it to your phone or not.

What are really trying to do? Text messages by definition are attached to a phone #. There are plenty of chatting apps that use a data connection (Google Talk, KIK messenger, etc), but if you want a true SMS, it has to be linked to a phone #.

I want to know if my kids (who don't have cell phones) can use a wifi only tablet to text message their friends (who do have cell phones). Is there an app that can easily make that happen without my kids actually having their own phone?

ForTheGlory

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I want to know if my kids (who don't have cell phones) can use a wifi only tablet to text message their friends (who do have cell phones). Is there an app that can easily make that happen without my kids actually having their own phone?

I realized that after I read your whole post and then responded. My other comments answer that question.

danhund

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
When I tried to use Google Talk app to message a cell phone, it wouldn't accept the number. If I use Google Chat on the website, I can message a cell phone. (for what it's worth, I'm testing apps on my samsung fascinate, the Nexus 7's are still in the boxes waiting for Christmas).

If I set up Google Voice accounts, that means that they get a psuedo phone number from Google that allows them to send and recieve texts? Is that right? And I can just tie their accounts to our home phone if someone actually dials their number? Am I understanding this?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding that Google Voice needs to be tied to a phone number. Is that not the case?

To fully complete the registration, yes. But then you can remove that number from the account. There may be a limit to how many times you can use a number to do the registration.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ForTheGlory

May 19, 2010
Visit site
When I tried to use Google Talk app to message a cell phone, it wouldn't accept the number. If I use Google Chat on the website, I can message a cell phone. (for what it's worth, I'm testing apps on my samsung fascinate, the Nexus 7's are still in the boxes waiting for Christmas).

If I set up Google Voice accounts, that means that they get a psuedo phone number from Google that allows them to send and recieve texts? Is that right? And I can just tie their accounts to our home phone if someone actually dials their number? Am I understanding this?

What you were using on Gmail website was the SMS feature. Google Talk is the one that says "Chat".

Yes, setting up Google Voice will give them a phone# they can give to their friends to SMS back and forth. They can then use the Google Voice app on any Android device (including tablets) to send and receive SMS. You can attach your home phone to the account so that calls to their GV phone# will ring your home phone, but you do not have to do this. Since Gmail website (on a PC or Mac) supports voice calling now, that is the default selection to receive calls to the GV phone #. GV has tons of features. You can find them all at https://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115061&topic=1707989&rd=2

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

danhund

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Good to know that Google Voice will do what I was looking for. We'll see how this all shakes out after Christmas morning.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Side benefit of Google Voice on your tablet. You can use an app like GrooveIP and make phone calls from your tablet over wifi, using your Google Voice number. That way, you have an option for free phone calls and text messages all from your tablet!

Ananda Kumar M R

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am using Intex Tablet i Buddy 3 and Intex dongle with tata docomo 2G GPRS connectivity.
My question is if someone sent any SMS to the above sim how can i view it in Intex tablet.
Is there is any application available?

Anand

jokeyhaha

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
FYI, the TALK app that comes preloaded on every Android device is Google Talk. This is the app version of Google Chat from the Gmail website. They are one & the same. You could even start a conversation on the website and finish it on your android device.

We have multiple profiles on our Nexus 7. Only the owner profile can access Google chat even though I have an account as well. Have you come across this?

ForTheGlory

May 19, 2010
Visit site
We have multiple profiles on our Nexus 7. Only the owner profile can access Google chat even though I have an account as well. Have you come across this?

We have multiple accounts on my wife's Nexus 7. I'll have to check that later when I get home.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

dragonxx

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have wasted 2 weeks to check to sove that problem. I bought for boys Nexus 7 and I had same problem. And looks like if you are outside USA. I live in UK. Then no there is not exist any app which allows Nexus 7 user send or receive SMS text. Only way to contact is use Skype or something. Only app which gives you personal number where you can call or send messages is Skype. but Skype wants around 50 euros for number per month! So it's totally pointless. And it emans I force them keep old phone near them so i can text to them and they can text back. Because no working solution for Nexus 7 if you dont wanna waste 50 eur per month (Skype). Google voice does not work outside USA. And same problem is with EVERY other app! Works only with USa and canada numbers. No europe numbers nothing for europe users!

Costajohn

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have wasted 2 weeks to check to sove that problem. I bought for boys Nexus 7 and I had same problem. And looks like if you are outside USA. I live in UK. Then no there is not exist any app which allows Nexus 7 user send or receive SMS text. Only way to contact is use Skype or something. Only app which gives you personal number where you can call or send messages is Skype. but Skype wants around 50 euros for number per month! So it's totally pointless. And it emans I force them keep old phone near them so i can text to them and they can text back. Because no working solution for Nexus 7 if you dont wanna waste 50 eur per month (Skype). Google voice does not work outside USA. And same problem is with EVERY other app! Works only with USa and canada numbers. No europe numbers nothing for europe users!
Hi, I've been going round and round on the same quest. I'm also in the UK. Wondering if fitting a 3G dongle with PAYG Sim card. That is of course if you can match up a dongle!

beatnik78

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Most people I talk to don't know that you can send a text to an email. Instead of typing in a phone number, the sender types in an email address. The email comes from 8885551212@verizon.net, for example, and then the conversation can go back and forth from there. It will look like texts for your kids' friends and emails for your kids. The hardest part is finding the corresponding email address for the text. If the friends send the first text, though, it is pretty easy.

bmk028

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Was looking for the same - check here: TimeClickr - you can get your number in US, UK or Canada and text 2-way from the website. I asked about app - they said android app with SMS Inbox support is expected by the end of the year.

jmregot

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am very interested in this same issue but not with the same device! We are needing to have a way for my nephew to be able to text out and for us to be able to text him on an android product without having to have a phone # as well because he isn't allowed to have his own # for at least another few more months.. Please say that there is an app or something simple that can be downloaded so we can contact him!
Thank you for your help if you can!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia