Juice Defender

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
JD is nonsense. control your settings yourself with ATK works wonders. my battery lasted 26 hours yesterday

I don't know any supposed battery saving app that can make a phone last 26 hours unless your not making calls or using data at all, and even then I have to question this?:confused:

creepyncrawly

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Turning WiFi off is a mistake if you're within range of WiFi. It uses much less power than 3G....

I live and work in a rural area, about 20 miles from the nearest 3g tower, so my local coverage is edge. However, I have a wireless (n) router in the same room at work all day, and I find that with wifi on it eats my battery, but with wifi off, I get pretty good battery life, all other things being equal.

Battery life has far more to do with your signal strength, how much you use the phone, and what kind of data syncing activities you have going on....

... if you're only getting 8 hours out of a battery, then either (a), you're in a really weak signal area, (b) you've got some app (or apps) that are running out of control, or (c), you're constantly syncing data, burning up the battery by using the radio transmitter all the time.

(a) I have from no signal to 1 or 2 bars while sitting in my office (2g edge) but the signal is not good enough to make a call from inside the office. Have to go outside to make a call.

(b) I think this may be the case, but I can't determine what app or apps may be running out of control. When wifi is on, I get a constant stream of data activity indicated by the wireless indicator on the router. If no one else is using the wireless (often the case) then the indicator led exactly responds to turning wifi on and off on the phone: on -- constant stream of data, off -- absolutely no data. When wifi is on, the indicator led blinks steadily at a rate of probably 15-20 times per second, not like a normal data stream that tracks actual data use, as in when the laptop is using the wireless, etc.

(c) probably not.

How am I going to find out what is causing this extreme battery use. If I leave wifi on all day, my battery is dead by mid afternoon. If i leave it off all day, I am still at 65-70% by 9:00 pm.

I've tried using ATK to manually kill each process, even the ones on low security, but nothing stops the data stream, so I can't pinpoint any app that is directly linked to the data usage.

Any help appreciated.

Samsung Captivate

Last edited:

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
...How am I going to find out what is causing this extreme battery use. If I leave wifi on all day, my battery is dead by mid afternoon. If i leave it off all day, I am still at 65-70% by 9:00 pm.

I've tried using ATK to manually kill each process, even the ones on low security, but nothing stops the data stream, so I can't pinpoint any app that is directly linked to the data usage.

Any help appreciated.

Samsung Captivate

Some thoughts and a few questions. I've played with but never owned the Captivate (I left ATT for the Droid X and haven't looked back).

You probably have a native app manager under your settings that allows you to see and then individually terminate running processes. If you do, I suggest you use that to investigate and then individually turn off apps etc. you're not using. I was using ATK 20+ times a day, uninstalled it, and actually saw an increase in device usability (measured by Quadrant) and a small but meaningful boost in battery life. I would suggest considering an uninstall of ATK and controlling/killing apps one by one. You may be surprised to see your device respond very favorably.

The Droid X has the best scores for battery life among Droids at the moment, and if I recall the Captivate was middle of the pack. Its true that certain apps are notorious battery hogs. What widgets etc. do you have running on your screens? Live wallpapers?

The WiFi issue is controversial... I've heard many here swear that it should spare battery life being on WiFi while others swear just having the radio on drains it down. It may be device specific (across models) and your mileage may vary.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Im using the free version. I first day I installed it, kept the preset setting after running "setup" and my widget showed something like 1.70x battery life. Each day that number is going down, The widget now shows 1.33x I have no idea why this is happening, I have not changed anything on the phone, or used it differently since I installed JD, Anyone Else Seeing the Same Thing?

IF I understand this program correctly, It shuts your mobile network off, and then turns it on for 1 minute every 15 minutes, then back off again. I dont need constant updates "emails, facebook etc" So i was thinking of putting the mobile network widget on my home screen and turning it off till I need email, internet again. Wouldn't that basically be doing the same as JD?

Ken

infenit101

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I started using the app the other day and although it says a 1.72x battery I don't see any improvements. In fact, I think it is negatively impacting my battery life.

My settings are as follows:
Timeout - Do nothing
Schedule - Enable Data/Wifi for 5min every 2hrs.
Night - Keep data/wifi disabled from 11pm till 4:30 am
Battery - keep data/wifi disabled while below 10%
Traffic - Leave data/wifi enabled while > 50KB/15s (might change this though because streaming audio cuts off after screen times out.)
peak - do nothing
apps - do nothing
Screen - leave data/wifi enabled while screen on
Location - keep wifi disabled while distance > 1336m

The same as a user over at AndroidForums who reported a 2.29x increase in his battery life on his Epic 4G.

I even have the UltimateJuice package.

Typical usage including moderate browsing throughout the day, manual sync, and about 10% brightness with great 3g connection throughout the day.

Without JD my battery would last from 7am to around 6pm

With JD my battery would last from 7am to around 4:30pm.

I'm going to try the JD app once again tomorrow and check out Juiceplotter but so far I am not convinced it helps.

Also there is no way a battery will last 26 hours unless you are doing absolutely nothing on it.

Reactions: bog3yman

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
i keep the 3g mobile widget on my home screen and turn that off when I know I won't be near a charger all day and the phone can easily last over 15 hour plus that way while making calls and sending texts. If i need to check something i simply turn the network on and check e-mails or browse the web or whatever else it may be.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
At this point I am not convinced that JD is really extending my battery a whole lot if at all during the day (despite it saying 1.21 to 1.79) but what is great for me is the automatic night-time mode where it shuts off all data connectivity whilst I slumber.

Sure I could do that manually, but if I remembered to do that, I would also have remembered to plug the thing in in the first place! This option is giving me great battery life through the night ensuring that my alarm will go off and if I have any phone calls, I will have the juice to answer them even if i forget to plug in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad