Google (play) Music and Piracy

NabeShogun

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
So what with USB OTG looking unlikely (at least for the meantime, but maybe forever) for the Nexus 4 and no SD card slot I find myself in the position of sort of being strongarmed into using Google Music.

My question here is about pirated music. I'm sure my collection (alike to most peoples) isn't entirely free of this, and if it counts the CD's I converted into mp3s when I first bought an mp3 player then it definitely isn't.

So I have no problem if google music deletes anything that it doesn't deem legit, that's cool. I'm not however cool with them then notifying sony or something and a million dollar (pound) lawsuit then being dropped on me ... I've been doing some googling but haven't really found much of a discussion about this.

Anyone got 2 cents to add in?

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I have a full 2 cents worth, but I have an opinion. :)

I would have a problem if anyone deletes my content. All of my music is either ripped from CDs I own, or purchased from legitimate sources. For someone to delete my content is unacceptable. I would prefer that they report me to music companies than to delete content from my phone or tab. No company is going to waste money suing someone for a few songs... If I get a query from any music company, I will just tell them to come and look through my bins of CDs for my hard copy. It is up to them to prove piracy. it is not up to me to prove that I am legit. If I am sued, and need to hire a lawyer, I will make sure that their failed suit is followed immediately by one of my own to cover my legal expenses.

I strongly believe that copyright owners, artists etc, should be paid for their efforts. However, I also believe that copying and/or modifying content that I already purchased for my own personal use is fair use of the items I have purchased, regardless of media. I consider my purchase of music, videos, books, etc to be licenses to do whatever I please for my own personal usage. If anything is sold, given away, published or otherwise distributed, it opens up a whole new can of worms.

As a side note, I am donating some CDs I don't listen to, and for each of them, I am making sure to delete my related MP3 files. I believe that when I get rid of the original media, that I am also giving up my "license" to use the content.

Chillidog66

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I mabey have all of my music on Google Play pirated.. I've never got in trouble or got anything taken off.

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums

Rionoskae

May 20, 2013
Visit site
A great alternative to Google Music if you are worried about your Privacy is to Use Subsonic. Subsonic is a free app ( with a optional premium upgarde if you want to stream video ) that allows you to stream your entire music library from your Personal PC. This means that it is always up to date, and you don't have to worry about manually uploading content. Check it Out @ Subsonic ? Free Music Streamer

Since their setup instructions can be a bit lacking, I've taken the liberty of writing a quick setup guide. Let me know if you have any other questions.
:) Stream Music to your Phone ? EveryDay-Tech.Com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12