Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs up Greatest ebook reader on the android for bookworms.

I have several ebook readers on my phone but Laputa is my favorite one till now. I find it on the android market not too long ago. Before it, I had been using Aldiko.

Reading books is always my fav before sleep. And reading becomes easier for me since I got my android phone and downloaded the ebook reader. I no longer have to hold a book in my hand!

Laputa is really a great app since you can download all the classics even some current books for free .Amazing! It saves me a lot of money. There are thousands of books for selection. Seems like finding books in a library. It has a nice display of reading the books .Books look awesome on the bookshelf. This small app allows me to turn a page like how I turn a real book by just flicking the screen with my finger.

Up to now, it works well on my phone. The only problem of this app is it easily crashes when importing books. Hope another version be released soon and fix the problem.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1

I love having my books on my phone as well. This way when im in work with nothing to do i can read. When i went in for Jury Duty there was nothing to do but read. and guess what? You cant 'forget' your book at home. its right there in your pocket, or if you need another you simply download it.

I tried Laputa and went back to Aldiko and eReader.
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts

I'm really loving iReader, it reads plain old .txt files too so I don't have to fuss with converting books from my temple. Any content that I want to read it handles, and can be customized like crazy.

I use FBReader. Its free and can read MOBI format books. I have been reading on PDA/phones for 7 years now (palmv ->treo 600 -> treo 650 -> treo 800 -> TP2 -> evo) so I have A LOT of books in the mobi format (redone with metadata by me so that author, title and series numbers are correct)
    FBReader was the best one I found for Android.
    Also have the Kindle app, Boarders app and Nook app on the evo just in case I need to buy a new book....though I prefer the kindel for that since I can remove DRM and move to clean MOBI format!!

I tried Laputa but it seemed to have a random set of books. I am using ireader and Nook for previously purchased B&N books, Kindle and Amazon for newly purchased books.

nook is looking really nice

Borders has a free eReader download here.

MediaView - Borders - Books, Music and Movies

+1 for FBReader

I'm much more impressed by Laputa. Well , but not like this name
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Actually, I love the feel and smell of a real book.I read in bed a lot with real paper books. I find them very comforting. But ebooks seem more convinent when laying in my bed or having a trip.I love Laputa mainly for its page turn Animations, which really like turning a page. But reading books on phone runs out of batteries.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    ROM
    boring ol' stock

I had an Amazon Kindle starting back in my Palm Treo days, and have a huge collection of books for it, so the Amazon Kindle app is preferred for me. But the Kindle app won't read non-Amazon books, so I also have FBReader loaded to read my non-Amazon science fiction books from webscriptions.net. FBReader works fine, I don't claim it is the greatest non-Amazon product, but it is good enough.
    Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->EVO 4G-->EVO 3D-->Droid Razr Maxx-->Galaxy S4

ROM
    Stock

As for battery life, set the screen options to "night" eg white text on black background, and turn the screen brightness as low as it will go. Still very readable for most folks and saves battery. You can also turn on airplane mode when reading in bed to save battery, if you don't mind shutting out calls and sms.

Aldiko for EPub formatted books, iReader for everything else.
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks

Yes, a lot of people think the name is means the prostitute. but i don't think so!
    I think they are so clever. The name make a deep impression of users, and another way, Laputa: Castle in the Sky- is a good movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Waheeddd View Post
    I'm much more impressed by Laputa. Well , but not like this name
    I was thinking the same thing about the name. (The team must not be from a Spanish speaking country.)

I think the new version of Laputa is much better than the old one!
    Little bug and more stable!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

the name of laputa is from a movie.Laputa: Castle in the Sky is a 1986 film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It is the first film created and released by Studio Ghibli. Laputa: Castle in the Sky won the Animage Anime Grand Prix in 1986.