Google Maps 4.4 update

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
i had to reboot as well (incredible)
but as for the update...
what does it mean "3d Maps"? I dont see that anywhere while naviagting... unless it is talking about street view.
But thats not really new.

Prior to the update you could only use navigation (3D map) when you were driving to a set destination. If you just wanted to look at the map while driving you could on do this via the Maps app (2D map). Now, you can open the navigation app and view the map (3D) while driving without having to enter in a destination. I tried it on the way home after the update and it worked perfectly! Very nice. I, too, had to reboot after the update to get places to show up.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
They're taking their sweet time with getting Nav to Sweden, but other than that it's pretty cool. Searching for ATMs doesn't work here, though.

The BRUT Navigation thing still works fine, only problem being that the English text-to-voice is having some issues with pronouncing Swedish names. xD

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I updated last night but didn't see "places" till this morning .I turned phone off while it charged last night after update. Looks kinda cool haven't had to use the new version yet but will test it out later on , lol hopefully works good as it did. :)

CouchFisher

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The update installed. I rebooted. Still don't see the 'places' button. Just to be clear, it should appear under Google Maps when I press the menu button? I can search 'places' from the home screen and I see the app but it is not within Google Maps. Sprint HTC Evo 4G

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey! Now I can't call out within the search results...

Found this...

Select your search result, scroll to the bottom, select "More info", it takes you to a Google Web page, one can select the number to call from there.

But I hope they fix the app so we can call from there...

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Since I installed the update and opened Places, my battery seems to be draining a little quicker. Has anyone else experienced this?

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It was my understanding that you could use the augmented reality view of the nav now without needing a destination however I still can't find this feature. can anyone tell me how to do this?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think this update is awesome. I really like the new Places icon that finally gives us more of a navigation apps searches for food/hotels/gas. Very nice that you can create your own search button for something like "sandwich" or "Diesel Fuel". I would like to see Google expand these to more defined categories, but it's a great start.

Maybe one day they will get rid of the horrible robotic navigation voice...hire Donna Dixon to voice it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49