Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Google Voice

Hey guys,
    Hope your all having a good Monday! Anyways I have a few question for you Google Voice users.

1) I have setup my phone to take and send text messages VIA Google voice. have any of you had any real issues with the text messaging part? This is the main reason why I switched. It would save me $25 or so my my att bill. Now I know it uses the data signal but how good of a signal do I need? Also I'd like to use GO SMS pro. I don't see a way to send from this app. However I have found an app on the app store that says it will integrate the GO SMS pro with Google Voice. Anyone use it? Is there a way to manually way to add this with GO SMS Pro with no other app? (I'd hate to buy it and have Google Voice add this a month later! :P)

2) Minutes - I know it uses my minutes and I'm not to worried about that as I rarely talk on the phone. However I have heard of apps like Groove Voice? It in the app store for $5. Should I even bother with this if I don't care about the minute usage? And plus's this app will add for me?

3) over all would you recommend using Google Voice as a whole? I have been using the VM part mostly and I like it a lot so far. Some arts of Vermont are spotty with coverage out in the middle of no where. but I don't live out there and I would always have WiFi anyways. Plus I rarely go out that way.

Thanks in advance guys!

NOTE: My main reason for switching is cheaper texting and allowing me to be in more control of my phone number.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Re: Google Voice

This is the app I was talking about.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ZWdyYXRpb24iXQ..
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    Hey guys,
    Hope your all having a good Monday! Anyways I have a few question for you Google Voice users.

1) I have setup my phone to take and send text messages VIA Google voice. have any of you had any real issues with the text messaging part? This is the main reason why I switched. It would save me $25 or so my my att bill. Now I know it uses the data signal but how good of a signal do I need? Also I'd like to use GO SMS pro. I don't see a way to send from this app. However I have found an app on the app store that says it will integrate the GO SMS pro with Google Voice. Anyone use it? Is there a way to manually way to add this with GO SMS Pro with no other app? (I'd hate to buy it and have Google Voice add this a month later! :P)

2) Minutes - I know it uses my minutes and I'm not to worried about that as I rarely talk on the phone. However I have heard of apps like Groove Voice? It in the app store for $5. Should I even bother with this if I don't care about the minute usage? And plus's this app will add for me?

3) over all would you recommend using Google Voice as a whole? I have been using the VM part mostly and I like it a lot so far. Some arts of Vermont are spotty with coverage out in the middle of no where. but I don't live out there and I would always have WiFi anyways. Plus I rarely go out that way.

Thanks in advance guys!

NOTE: My main reason for switching is cheaper texting and allowing me to be in more control of my phone number.
    I recommend using Google Voice in combo with Talkatone. It integrates smoothly. I use the Voice app itself to send texts. I use Talkatone to make calls using the internet on Wi-Fi. When no Wi-Fi is available I use Open Garden to tether to my phone. Even with a slow 3g connection tethered thru Bluetooth I can call out from my nex7 with good quality. I'm with Sprint so unlimited data but as u can see Voice is pretty flexible. Also, I use it for all my txtin and it rarely uses more than 40 - 50 mb a month. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Cyano-Mod'd Nexus 7
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by efyoiphone View Post
    I recommend using Google Voice in combo with Talkatone. It integrates smoothly. I use the Voice app itself to send texts. I use Talkatone to make calls using the internet on Wi-Fi. When no Wi-Fi is available I use Open Garden to tether to my phone. Even with a slow 3g connection tethered thru Bluetooth I can call out from my nex7 with good quality. I'm with Sprint so unlimited data but as u can see Voice is pretty flexible. Also, I use it for all my txtin and it rarely uses more than 40 - 50 mb a month. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information! I will keep an eye one my usage. I'd love to really know how much of a data signal you need to send a text. Like in the worst case can it work on EDGE? I only get EDGE like a few times a year in NY when I travel there.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Thanks for the information! I will keep an eye one my usage. I'd love to really know how much of a data signal you need to send a text. Like in the worst case can it work on EDGE? I only get EDGE like a few times a year in NY when I travel there.
    I imagine it works just the same as gmail. I always have consistent 3g coverage so I can't really say what the low threshold is.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by efyoiphone View Post
    I imagine it works just the same as gmail. I always have consistent 3g coverage so I can't really say what the low threshold is.

Same here! I rarely will see anything like EDGE. Just like to know. I text like a mad man mostly. I don't call to many people all that often.