Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice Callback (in depth)

Hey Guys,

So this is my app of the week, but I wanted to go more in depth in order to tell you how to make this work. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them

Google Voice is one the best apps on Android and is one of the greatest apps created by Google. Up until recently, it was an invite only service, but now has opened to everyone in the US. So if you live in the US, get your Google Voice number now!

One of the missing features of the official Google Voice app is a callback feature in order to ensure free calling. Those who have used Gizmo5 or Sipdroid with Voice know what this means. Google Voice Callback fills in this gap and allows free calls to be made. There are some settings to toggle with first though:

1.) After downloading Google Voice Callback, go to the official Google Voice app and go to Settings

2.) In the Making Calls section, select 'Do not use Google Voice to make calls'

3.) Now go to the Google Voice Callback app

4.) Put in the phone number of your phone (not Google Voice number) for the callback number

5.) Under 'Callback is enabled when' I have 'Whenever internet is available' but choose the option that fits you best

You should be all set now, hope that wasn't too confusing. Now what may annoy you with this is when making calls, this app has to call you back, which can take a couple extra seconds. When it calls you, answer and then you will be connected. But if you're looking to make free calls, that is the cost you have to pay. When you have a good data connection (can be wifi too) it goes very fast.
    This app is available from the Android market for free, but there is a donate version, so if you like the app, consider helping out the developer.

Check out the app of the week section for the QR codes and market links!

Hey Sean,

I've been using Google Voice with my Nexus One for free outgoing calls (and incoming).

I just add to my A-List the Google Voice number it dials from - (an arizona area code - 602-633-4000) and my own google voice number. I checked my statements and everything is listed as an A-List call - no charge.

No need for internet access needed and such.

Hey Sean, I think you got the wrong info on the Google Callback app. You aren't going to get free calls just by doing that. You still need a VOIP service such as Gizmo5 or Sipdroid I think. From what I understand, the Callback feature is the same as if you went to the Google Voice website right now and made a call from there. What's going to happen is that GV will call your mobile phone number and then connect you to whatever phone number you are trying to dial. Therefore you still use your mobile minutes.

If you use a Gizmo5 number as your callback number, then you could get free minutes since the whole thing would be VOIP. Or if your GV number is in a Fav 5 or similar in your cell phone plan.

Carrier
    Liquid 1.4, AOKP

Well, I may be wrong, but I believe the only charge on your minutes is for the 1-2 minutes of incoming that it takes to connect the callback. I checked my Verizon and it seems like the only charge I was getting is for the actual Callback. When I connected it stopped recording minutes. So it isn't TOTALLY free, but it's really close. The part about the Gizmo5 number is correct, though, which would make it totally free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodros View Post
    Hey Sean, I think you got the wrong info on the Google Callback app. You aren't going to get free calls just by doing that. You still need a VOIP service such as Gizmo5 or Sipdroid I think. From what I understand, the Callback feature is the same as if you went to the Google Voice website right now and made a call from there. What's going to happen is that GV will call your mobile phone number and then connect you to whatever phone number you are trying to dial. Therefore you still use your mobile minutes.

If you use a Gizmo5 number as your callback number, then you could get free minutes since the whole thing would be VOIP. Or if your GV number is in a Fav 5 or similar in your cell phone plan.