Google Reader replacement?

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone I any suggestions for RSS reader replacement for Google Reader? I liked the layout of it. I hate Pulse, Flipboard and Google Currents. I think they are just atrocious on a phone. I want something very similar to Google Reader. It was a very quick application and I think it was very good a using screen real estate to the fullest. I would like something cross-platform so I can sync it on my Note 2 or my Windows 8 laptop. This is probably the second most used Google app for me. Gmail is obviously my number one since it is my primary email. I use Google Reader more than the Google Play Store and now I am worried that I won't find anything that will fill its place. There really is no better way to get news than a RSS feed reader.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone I any suggestions for RSS reader replacement for Google Reader? I liked the layout of it. I hate Pulse, Flipboard and Google Currents. I think they are just atrocious on a phone. I want something very similar to Google Reader. It was a very quick application and I think it was very good a using screen real estate to the fullest. I would like something cross-platform so I can sync it on my Note 2 or my Windows 8 laptop. This is probably the second most used Google app for me. Gmail is obviously my number one since it is my primary email. I use Google Reader more than the Google Play Store and now I am worried that I won't find anything that will fill its place. There really is no better way to get news than a RSS feed reader.

Google Reader is dying, but we have five worthy alternatives | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews

It covers apps for Android and Iphone.

MeridianSun

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm equally upset by this as Google Reader was my second most used app. I'm having a hard time finding a suitable replacement...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
There are a number of good RSS readers, each with its own benefits. The problem is not the "reader." The problem is the loss of synchronization across multiple devices/platforms/applications with the loss of the API. What other service is there that can work across Windows, Mac, Android and IPhone/IPad? I use different readers on different platforms, but the stay in perfect synchronization because of the central connection to Google Reader. This is like Microsoft shutting down Exchange and everyone asking what is a better e-mail application than Outlook? It is not the application, it is the system that makes all of the many, many different applications work together and stay in harmony.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I was pretty livid when I found out the news. I use reader everyday, and while I'm not using the official app, I am using reader hd, which depends on reader for syncing. Really stupid move on googles part. I highly doubt that it was using alot of resources, it's just another move to force people to use plus. Very irritated.

Really this is a core google service, I still am baffled by it. Whats next, Gmail?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty livid when I found out the news. I use reader everyday, and while I'm not using the official app, I am using reader hd, which depends on reader for syncing. Really stupid move on googles part. I highly doubt that it was using alot of resources, it's just another move to force people to use plus. Very irritated.

Really this is a core google service, I still am baffled by it. Whats next, Gmail?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, honestly I would be less upset if they got rid of Google Maps. I am thinking that switching to WP8 is sounding a lot better. Waiting for the Verizon version of the Nokia 920.

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
GReaderPro and Press, honestly about as good as any I've got on my iPhone and iPad, have both announced their plans for later down the road.

midwest_kc

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
My biggest problem, is I want something with a web interface. I use this on my computer all the time, where I can't install other extensions, etc. This is the great thing about Reader to me, being able to keep everything synced, and letting me read my items on the web. Is there any other service that offers this?

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Feedly promises a seamless transition. I don't know all the details but have used the app for a few days and prefer it over the normal Google Reader app already.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

shannonkish

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I am still looking for a replacement app. I have tried several and haven't found a suitable replacement yet.
I like the simplicity of reader. I HATE the picture blocks in all of the new ones- feedly, flipped, press, etc.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I am still looking for a replacement app. I have tried several and haven't found a suitable replacement yet.
I like the simplicity of reader. I HATE the picture blocks in all of the new ones- feedly, flipped, press, etc.

I like Newsrob for more text-based updates (newspaper, magazine feeds). GReader Pro is another great app. It handles pictures a bit better and has more flexibility if your need to click through links in the articles. Both apps are very stable and have great options for downloading for off-line reading and options for how to handle different types of feeds.