Need help setting up texts using Google Voice

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Verizon and want to use Google voice to send text messages. However, my app doesn't have the compose button like it's supposed to! Pics below will show what I see. Do I need to set it up in some way? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365138318593.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365138318593.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 35
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365138332452.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365138332452.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 34

dlinares90

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you activated Google Voice for your phone?

googlevoiceactivation.jpg

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
That's weird, when I go to phone settings on the desktop version of google voice, this is all I get. Why does it seem like no text messaging settings exist for me?

Voice+Screenshot.jpg

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
You need to set up a Google Voice number (this is the number that is used to forward text messages) . Once you do that, you link that to your mobile number with a special code GV provides.

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Could you explain what the setup process entails?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Sure. IIRC, just hit on the "Get a Google number' link, choose one of the ones provided. It will then ask for your provider (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) and will give you a code to use on your phone (basically your Google number + the provider's code for forwarding). You can then choose, in GV settings, to have texts sent only to your Google Voice account or to your phone's messaging app as well (if you don't have a text plan with your provider, like me, this would be counterproductive since you'd have to pay for each one). Then have your friends & family use your Google Number to text you. You can also port your regular number to your Google Voice one if you want it to look like you're using your regular number, but I don't text enough to bother with that.

-----
HTC Vivid (ICS)

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Bringing this thread back to life! So that last post helped! I can successfully use my GV number to text people. I also learned that you can call domestically for free with that number. So for all domestic uses, I can essentially replace my number (or port my current one) with the GV one and keep all my phone stuff with google! Sweet!

I just have a few questions for people who already do this. First, I know that GV will keep a record of all text conversations in a cloud of some sort. Does that mean that after a year of texting the same person, that conversation list will be INSANELY long, or can I set text message storage caps like a normal texting app?

That's all for now. As I use this on a daily basis, I'm sure I'll run into more "setup" questions. Thanks in advance for your input!

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
If you go to the GV website on your computer you'll be able to delete texts/messages. Also you can use GV to make free calls to Canada (and I think Puerto Rico). I call my brother in Toronto all the time. You will use up plan minutes however. If you want to avoid that, you could use something like GrooveIP.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question, Google voice keeps all your messages as you stated, but it's not by person. Say you text a person daily, it will keep the conversation by date.

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So after using the service for about a week and a half now, I think I've decided to wait before entirely committing to it. When I say commit to it, I mean tell all of my contacts that I have a new phone number I'd like them to call/text. I know that they don't need to call the GV number for my phone to ring, but it's a LOT easier to tell people "here's my ONE phone number" as opposed to "call me at THIS number, and text me at this OTHER number."

Anyways, I've decided against it because of a couple of things that GV just can't do YET. MMS is one of them. I know there are other ways to get pictures to people's phones, like email, chat services, etc, but that's the point of using GV, to UNIFY my experience, not complicate it. Also, I use group texting relatively often with friends to plan going out and meeting. I know you can text multiple recipients, but then their replies are just between them and the person they replied to; no one else can see the response. I mean true group texting where everyone can see everyones' responses. Finally, I, like everyone I'm sure, hate coordinating telling people about a new number, and since I'm on contract with VZW, I can't port my current number yet.

So like I said, GV is not for me YET. I would love to make it my daily messaging service, but once it can do what I need. Maybe when it get integrated with Hangouts we will see new features. Maybe some of the features are requested enough that Goog will add them sooner rather than later. Nevertheless, unless they give me a compelling reason to switch now, I'm simply going to wait until I can port my number after my contract expires. Hopefully by then, they have the features I need for a texting service.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I use GV on VZW and it was a life saver. We recently moved to a home with 0 cell coverage. Myself as well as my Girlfriend work from home a lot and need our phones for conference calls etc. By setting up Google Voice in conjunction with the Spare Phone app over wifi not only are my calls solid, they sound better than a regular phone call. I can text (using my GV number) and I'm not using minutes, and or data (when over wifi). I'm also saving $$ because I lowered my minutes plan as I'm using my GV number solely when in the house. Google Voice and Spare Phone have honestly been the 2 most useful apps that I've ever downloaded.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae