Instagram keeps crashing and restarting phone?!

needhelp94

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
So for a week now, whenever my photo is being processed after applying filters on instagram, it suddenly turns my screen black and restarts my phone. This happened before but it usually fixes itself the next day but this time, it's been happening for a week and it's really frustrating. I've tried everything! Like clearing the cache, force closing, uninstalling I even deleted my account because I thought just maybe if I made a new one it would work but no. It seems like it's working for everyone else but always seems to act up.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it's an issue with the device you're using it on. Do you experience any issues while using camera/gallery functions in other apps (including the default Camera app)?

Jason Emmett

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's a handset-specific issue, because I have a HTC Velocity and it's been doing the same thing to me for the past week, even if I don't apply any filters. Also, my other apps work fine with the camera and applying filters and uploading them to social networking sites. As soon as I try to post the image (even if I've processed it in another app, or uploaded it directly from the gallery unedited), even if I don't apply filters it crashes and restarts my phone. If I've applied a filter, the edited image is available in my gallery when I restart, so it's something in the software update that crashes it. It happened once before when it first came to android, and was annoying enough to keep me away from the app for almost a year. Now I've just gotten back into it, and it starts doing it again after several months of performing perfectly... It's putting me right off it again!

Last edited:

TJackson1982

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone managed to solve this issue yet?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace2 that keeps turning off whenever my photo is being processed on Instagram.
It worked fine until I factory reset the phone and re-downloaded the instagram app. Then, after a few days it started crashing for no apparent reason.

I've updated the app and deleted/ reinstalled with no change. All other apps seem to be working fine.

????!

Gary Murphy

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is specifically a handset issue, although there may have been an update that invalidates a lot of handsets -- I have an LG 640 (P705g) and it worked marvellously for months, then suddenly started rebooting as soon as I click the Next key after previewing or modifying the image --- it can't be the camera at that point, because the image is already stored in the proper dir and I can access it using the Gallery app.

And that it reboots the whole phone suggests a serious programmer error; it is maybe significant that Facebook buys out Instagram and suddenly there is a serious null-pointer call and no response from technical support, suggests maybe the person who actually knows how to fix it doesn't work there anymore?

My phone runs Android 4.0.3 -- a reboot generally means the program makes a jump to the location-zero instruction, because when the machine is turned on, the hardware goes to address zero and starts reading (not yet knowing it is a phone) so the programmer may be calling some feature of later Android editions, but the lookup for the address of that function somehow returns zero, and it proceeds without checking (sloppy programming) which results in a complete reset of the phone's core (burned in) hardware initialization sequence, ie a reboot.

And, sadly, this suggests the problem is not going to be fixed and all of us are left stranded until we can upgrade to a more modern Android :'(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke