"Move To" ability in Android Gmail app

Scott_LAN

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I've asked this question a few times on the Google Gmail forums but no one seems to understand my question. Hopefully I'm not too confusin here, although I apologize if I am. The option to change labels for emails exist in the Android Gmail application but the option to move emails to specific labels ("move to" icon on desktop version next to "labels" icon) doesn't seem to exist. Does anyone know if this option exists on the Android Gmail application? If so, how is it done? If not, is this something that Google is looking into? Are there restrictions to having this capability?

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you tap the "Labels" icon and uncheck the current label/folder while checking the destination label/folder, this will essentially "move" the email to that label/folder.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
^^This

Labels aren't physical folders, as you would find in other email apps. They're just labels, and when you choose to view a particular label the app shows you all those that are tagged that way. So there's nothing to "move." All messages are physically in one "folder" (if you will), and labels let you filter which ones you see. One benefit of this is that you can assign multiple labels to an email, and not have to duplicate it to view it in multiple "folders."

Scott_LAN

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
on the desktop Gmail version once a lablel is applied to an email in the inbox, for instance, and moved to that label the email disappears from the inbox. this is what i'm trying to accomplish on the Android app. I can do what you've suggested in Android but the email is sitll in my inbox. I'm guessing that what I'm trying to accomplish is not possible, which is fine.

I'm attaching two pictures to this post. The first picture is of an email in my inbox on the desktop Gmail version with the mouse hovering over the label destination that I want to send it to.The second is a picture of my inbox after the email is "moved" out of my inbox to the label. This is what I'm trying to accomplish in Android. I hope this clarifies my original question.

Attachments

• Email in Inbox On Desktop.png
    Email in Inbox On Desktop.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Email Moved Out of Inbox.png
    Email Moved Out of Inbox.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
on the desktop Gmail version once a lablel is applied to an email in the inbox, for instance, and moved to that label the email disappears from the inbox. this is what i'm trying to accomplish on the Android app. I can do what you've suggested in Android but the email is sitll in my inbox. I'm guessing that what I'm trying to accomplish is not possible, which is fine.

Do what I said in my original message and you'll get the result you're looking for. Just uncheck the "Inbox" label and check the new label you want. This will remove the email from the inbox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae