Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs up BioLock V1.0 Biometric Security

Hi,

I just wanted to let you all know that my company Blue Planet Apps is developing a Biometric security app for Android. It is called BioLock and will support both Iris and Face Recognition. It will have RSA Encryption and the following features:

Lock/Unlock Phone by Face/Iris/Passcode
    Lock Apps
    Lock Documents
    Lock Contacts
    Will work with both Front and Back camera phones
    Etc...

The app is currently in development and is close to a beta release. You can follow us on Twitter @blueplanetapps for updates and inside info. Also, you can follow our forum on the Blue Planet Apps website for more details when they become available.

Contrary to popular opinion, this will be the first true Biometric app for Android when released this month (the current "biometric" app on the Market uses signature recognition, hardly biometric).

Happy Android Days

Jason
    Blue Planet Man
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Reserved

Theoretically, couldn't facial recognition be defeated by having a picture of the persons face that could unlock the phone?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wmtoandroid View Post
    Theoretically, couldn't facial recognition be defeated by having a picture of the persons face that could unlock the phone?
    Glad you asked that. BioLock uses proprietary technology to determine that the person is actually real and not an image, or for that matter even HD video. For example, we can determine that the person blinks, just one of some of the features.

-Jason
    Thanked by:

Sounds cool. I'll be interested in checking this out. It will have to be real quick to unlock the phone IMO. Pattern/password lock is pretty quick to unlock and I don't know if I could deal with a lot of extra time to unlock. Definitely awesome if it works well

So how does this work without a front having camera? I assume we turn the phone around and use the regular camera?

Before I read this thread, I thought it was going to read finger prints on the screen. That would be cool too. Is that even possible?
    MacGyver Wannabe

What if you grow facial hair or shave it off? I have too many concerns about biometric security working properly to even consider it right now.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

To answer both of your questions, it is easier to use the front camera for obvious reasons, but we will have audio prompts built in to assist people who only have a rear facing camera. Also, if you shave or grow hair, add glasses etc... that does not change the underlying dynamics of your face. You would need to make considerable changes for the Facial recognition to NOT be able to recognize you. Additionally, your Iris never changes, so even if you gain 200 pounds of weight, your eyes or the PIN can always unlock your phone... fear not.

Here is a peak at the app...

Blue Planet Apps - IrisScan v1.0
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Do u need beta testers? Running droid x..

Yea I'm excited to try iris scan whenever it is released this month.

At least it does not address the missing finger/thumb.
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Do u need beta testers? Running droid x..
    We will have a beta test and I hope to release info here on Android Central and also on our Twitter account @blueplanetapps when I have more details. Perhaps as early as this week.

I think it would be pretty cool to have some awesome sound effects, perhaps something like Jarvis from Iron Man when you are authenticated....
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Beta signup now available on the Blue Planet Apps forum. Blue Planet Apps

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Tried to sign up for the beta release, but nothing happens when I click on the getting started button. Am I doing something wrong?

same here
    Gigantic Member

ROM
    ARHD 8.0

ditto...clicking goes nowhere
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Guys... gotta actually go into the Forum link posted on the top. Thanks for pointing out the "getting started" issue... Our website is a lag in progress lol

Blue Planet Apps - Forum

Thanks,

-Jason

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

Looks interesting. What is the projected buy price for the finalized product?
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I am not sure about the price yet. But I am thinking about $2.99 I am also considering a 15 day trial or some trial period before purchase. Trying to be as accommodating as possible.

-Jason

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Re: BioLock V1.0 Biometric Security

Interested in this, sounds neat.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk + Swype

Will it have a backup password option? It makes me nervous if an app locks a device without a backup way to still get in in case the app fails, or does not work for whatever reason. I LOVE the idea of the app if it works fast.
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

As a note to this, my ASUS laptop has this technology installed and it is VERY cool. To set it up it took several photos of me (double digits) and I found that the more varied lighting conditions you use the better and then it asked me for a "back up password" and it was good to go.

In practice, this works much better than I ever thought possible. When the laptop boots up the webcam activates and begins searching for my face. As soon as it sees my face it locks on and logs on. It is typically faster than me typing in the password (which it has the option of up on the screen also). When the room is a bit dark (poor lighting) it sometimes takes awhile, but other than that it is almost always instant.

And I have not been able to fool it yet. I have tried pictures and videos of myself, but nothing seems to trick it (I got curious about this too). It doesn't even have issues when I grow out my beard in the winter. The technology is much more sound than I ever would have given credit for.

I don't know if I'm willing to give up my current hacked lockscreen for this, but I might just to have it available (and as long as they can match the abilities of my two year old laptop). I just wanted to answer some of the questions I saw popping up.

Oh, and my laptop also has "fingerprint scanning" to unlock too, but it doesn't work nearly as well as the face recognition. It is much more finicky and slower.

My half a nickel.

K--

predicted cost?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

We have been thinking about the pricing. I think we will have a 10 day trial and then a target price of $2.99
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

are there any of these programs for laptops i know certain models have them but about 3rd party vendors
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast