How to send FREE text messages over Wifi only?

Lazer77

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't have to be using my phone number. I am going overseas and all of the call/text functions will be blocked on my phone to prevent the charges. I am not looking to text all day every day, but simply to send maybe 10-20 text messages over the course of two weeks. I found a bunch of apps but they all seemed rather shady with shaky feedback. I heard about Google Voice, but I had bad experiences with them in the past because it still used my phone number (I am on Sprint), and I read around that if it uses YOUR phone number, you'll still get hit with the international fees. I read there is some way to use an alternate phone number via Wifi only, so its 100% free?

I read there is some function on Gmail that allows you to send SMS messages. I enabled the feature through the labs, but unfortunately it just never ever shows up. I only want to use this texting to check up on someone who will be staying alone, so like I said I don't anticipate using it much.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Open another GMail/Google account and get a new Google Voice number. Once you have a Google Voice number, you can use Talkatone or GrooveIP app with GV and make calls over wifi for free

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Use text free.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

I can also fully recommend text free, or text+. My husband used them both while he was deployed to Iraq from an iPhone without a SIM and connected to WiFi. It gives you your own phone number, and text plus even allows you to make calls (at a cost, but it is much cheaper than international rates via your phone company.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use Heywire its gives you a number and you can even send international texts. Can be used over wifi as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

extatic

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there an app or way to text over Wifi.. Using the # provided to you by your carrier?..

IE i want to text over WIFI using MY number.. not a number supplied to me by an app..

thanks

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
When I was on Sprint my Nexus S had Google Voice fully integrated so that I COULD text with my carrier number....didn't realize I'd lose that when I switched to T-Mobile...without a doubt the biggest thing I miss.

Dhevi1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there an app or way to text over Wifi.. Using the # provided to you by your carrier?..
IE i want to text over WIFI using MY number.. not a number supplied to me by an app..
thanks

I've been using Textra for the last few days, and it is a replacement app for stock message that does SMS and MMS over wifi, using your own #.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
How did you get textra to send texts over WiFi? I downloaded it but could not get it to send when I only had my WiFi on.

Posted via Android Central App

Billy Knaub

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Text Via Email

You can send a friend an email that will be delivered as a text message if you know his mobile phone number and which wireless carrier he uses. When he replies to the text, you'll get a reply to your email. Create a new email on your laptop and type the text message in the email body. Address it to your friend's 10-digit mobile phone number followed by a suffix, depending on his carrier. For example, for the phone number 800-555-1212, type the email address as 8005551212@txt.att.net for AT&T, 8005551212@tmomail.net for T-Mobile, 8005551212@messaging.sprintpcs.com for Sprint or 8005551212@vtext.com for Verizon. Messages longer than 140 characters are delivered as multiple text messages.

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs