Navigation app that considers traffic

Salil

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello
Which is the best navigation app for Android that takes traffic into consideration. I heard a lot about Google navigation doing this but I tried it for a couple of days and it doesn't seem to be working

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello
Which is the best navigation app for Android that takes traffic into consideration. I heard a lot about Google navigation doing this but I tried it for a couple of days and it doesn't seem to be working

As in reroutes on the fly? Or picks the most direct route with traffic as an input?

Google Maps/Nav estimate transit time with known traffic conditions in mind, when possible. It doesn't always change initial routing unless it's aware of an actual road closure, but I've never seen it change routing while you're moving without you choosing to navigate out of the intended route. At that point it picks the shortest route to get you back on route and may change the overall route based on a recalculation from your new position. If you never leave the original route, it'll never change the chosen directions.

I know Qualcomm and Rand McNally operate more or less the same way, especially on the last point. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anything that changes routing on the fly without some action from you.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
This is based off my experience of the app on the iPhone. I haven't used this app yet on my S4.

I had paid for the TomTom app and the annual fee (20 dollars for traffic). It does real time re routing and route adjustments. Best example I can give you is that there was a Big Rig accident blocking a lane on the freeway one day. TomTom was aware of the accident and rerouted me off the freeway and back on it to avoid the accident without me having ask for a reroute.

Also Tom Tom will notify me of a better route on my drive to shave off minutes. I go to different client locations so sometimes I will drive 300 miles in a single day so traffic adjustments matter for my sanity.