Still Need Help: Duplicate Mesages.. Handcent & ChompSMS

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Guys/Gals... I feel like an idot having to post this... but I HAVE search and read about 2 dozen post on duplicate text messages with regards to Handcent and ChompSMS.

I have followed all of the suggested switches to enable and/or disable within the factory Text Message Settings... I've uninstalled Handcent as suggested... I've installed CHompSMS and I'm STILL getting duplicate txt messages.

Does anyone have a Droid X, that has either of these applications installed and is NOT getting duplicate messages....? Seriously, I'm about to loose my marbles with this...

I'm now using ChompSMS...

1. Text Messaging > Message Settings > everything is UNCHECKED
2. ChompSMS > Settings > Notifications are ENABLED
3. Handcent was uninstalled and rebooted
4. I was prompted to select CompSMS as the default App... which I selected.

When a TXT message comes in, I get 2 Text Dialog boxes on the home screen. When I click "reply" it opens up the CompSMS app. My concern is the 2 dialog boxes on the home screen...

Again, I'm not being lazy and not doing the research, I have looked and not found a solution.... YET...

Any thoughts...?

Thank you all...

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Droid X using handcent no issues with dual message's. Have u gone to there websight and snoop around or sent them a message?

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Droid X using handcent no issues with dual message's. Have u gone to there websight and snoop around or sent them a message?

I have snooped around, but I have not sent them a message... I guess that might be my next step

Just a thought, did you go into the Handcent settings and turn off notifications and pop up windows?

I was under the impression that the notification only had to be turned off from the Factory Text Message application... it needs to be turned off in Handcent as well...?

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I think I found out what the issue was...

1. In the ChompSMS or Handcent application, I had Notifications turned on, because I wanted to be notfied as they came in.

2. In addtion to the notifications being on in the appliation, I also had the "Quick Reply & Compose" setting enabled as well.

So, when a txt msg came in, I got the notifications pop-up box on the home screen...AND the Quick Reply box...hence my duplicate messages.

The Fix for Me: I unchecked the Quick Reply & Compose setting in the application. Now I only get the one Notification box when a message comes in. Frankly I would have been happy with just a notification in the notification bar... and the LED flashing. I'm not sure why they wouldnt allow you to just have that....

SPAZ

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
are you running a custom rom on a rooted droid x

i had a similar problem but it wasnt a notification or setting problem for me, all of the messaging apps were getting 2 message in each so i was getting 6 messages for 1 received text 2 from "messaging" "text messaging" and "handcent" and it turns out it was only on some roms and got it fixed with a file editor program.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that the notification only had to be turned off from the Factory Text Message application... it needs to be turned off in Handcent as well...?
Well, you got it resolved but to clarify based on your question above:

All that disabling notifications in the stock Messaging app does is disable notifications from that app. It has no effect on pop-ups from the other messaging apps, notifications from other apps or anything else. A notification is what appears in the notification bar. A pop-up is not a notification.

Keep in mind that you have to adjust the settings for a given app in the app itself. In other words, if you want to disable Handcent's notifications or pop ups then you have to adjust Handcent's settings. If you want to disable Chomp's notifications or pop-ups then you have to adjust Chomp's settings.

If you can't tell where a notification is coming from then drag down the notification bar and click on a specific notification. Generally you'll be taken to the corresponding app.

Frankly I would have been happy with just a notification in the notification bar... and the LED flashing. I'm not sure why they wouldnt allow you to just have that....
You just demonstrated that this is possible. Did you mean to say that you don't understand why the app isn't delivered with these settings (there's a difference in the two statements)?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon