Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does an app need this permission: ACCESS EMAIL PROVIDER DATA

I was looking at this free Kingsoft Office and here is what it lists among its required permissions:

"Access email provider data
    Allows this application to access your email database, including received messages, sent messages, usernames and passwords."

It seems highly suspicious to me even without the usernames and passwords part. Can anyone explain? Should I stay away from such apps? Thanks!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...from_developer
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Why does an app need this permission: ACCESS EMAIL PROVIDER DATA

OK, so I take it nobody cares why an app downloaded millions of times would ask for these things? To me it seems like a huge risk, so good thing I'm not using it. The developers didn't bother to answer my email either. Great! Check permissions very carefully before you install an app, people!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I would assume it would be for compatibility, so that you can open attachments with this app, as said in the needed permissions section of the description.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why does an app need this permission: ACCESS EMAIL PROVIDER DATA-1370924752787.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    I would assume it would be for compatibility, so that you can open attachments with this app, as said in the needed permissions section of the description.
    Why would it need my username and PASSWORD in order to open attachments?

And please check other office suites, like DocumentsToGo for example. No username and password, just attachments.
    Last edited by a111b222c333; 06-11-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I'm not justifying it by any means. Just making an assumption based on what is said in the introduction. No need to shoot the messenger.

Good point and I think android should give users ability to deny or grant permission to these sensitive infos like blackberry does

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by a111b222c333 View Post
    Why would it need my username and PASSWORD in order to open attachments?

And please check other office suits, like DocumentsToGo for example. No username and password, just attachments.
    All of the other office apps require that same permission. This developer, however, chose to include that specific piece of information in its permission instead of just the generic one.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    All of the other office apps require that same permission. This developer, however, chose to include that specific piece of information in its permission instead of just the generic one.
    Interesting. It's definitely worth looking into this a bit more deeply.