Why does an app need this permission: ACCESS EMAIL PROVIDER DATA

a111b222c333

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at this free Kingsoft Office and here is what it lists among its required permissions:

"Access email provider data
Allows this application to access your email database, including received messages, sent messages, usernames and passwords."

It seems highly suspicious to me even without the usernames and passwords part. Can anyone explain? Should I stay away from such apps? Thanks!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...8n&feature=more_from_developer&token=DryW6tq5

a111b222c333

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
OK, so I take it nobody cares why an app downloaded millions of times would ask for these things? To me it seems like a huge risk, so good thing I'm not using it. The developers didn't bother to answer my email either. Great! Check permissions very carefully before you install an app, people!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I would assume it would be for compatibility, so that you can open attachments with this app, as said in the needed permissions section of the description.

Attachments

• 1370924752787.jpg
    1370924752787.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 19

a111b222c333

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I would assume it would be for compatibility, so that you can open attachments with this app, as said in the needed permissions section of the description.

Why would it need my username and PASSWORD in order to open attachments?

And please check other office suites, like DocumentsToGo for example. No username and password, just attachments.

Last edited:

hakimmmmm

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Good point and I think android should give users ability to deny or grant permission to these sensitive infos like blackberry does

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why would it need my username and PASSWORD in order to open attachments?

And please check other office suits, like DocumentsToGo for example. No username and password, just attachments.

All of the other office apps require that same permission. This developer, however, chose to include that specific piece of information in its permission instead of just the generic one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois