Handcent Sms

boos1906

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I downloaded this app last night and I love it so far. So far I'm just using it like the stock messaging app. But I know there's all kinds of cool things you can do with this app. So I'm wondering if some of you can tell me some of those things and how to do them. Thanks for the help

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Love HandCent, I've been touting it around here too.

When you're in a thread with a person, the settings button in the top-right will allow you to make custom settings based solely on this person. These include: person-specific notification sounds, custom vibration patterns, and even different led colors. This is huge since if I've got a specific vibrate pattern for certain people, so if one of the girls who are important to me texts during a movie, I can tell it's her.

In the main settings you can also choose a different LED color for all texts. So my texts flash blue (whereas other notifications are green, so I know it's a text). But any person-specific rules I made take precedence. For example, the same girl I wrote about above, she shows up as a magenta/pink color in the LED so I know it's her.

You can also change all of the colors and the style of the boxes. I have a lot of black backgrounds in mine, which makes it easier on the eyes in the dark and will help with battery life once I get a Samsung Epic.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I found Handcent to glitchy. I've tried it three different times in the last ten months and always end up back with SMS pop-up. Smoother pop-ups and it's free too. Handcent would display older, previously viewed, messages when I unlocked the screen. Some messages had to be deleted in the stock messanger to get rid of them.
SMS Pop-up has less customization, but maybe that's what causes the problems with Handcent.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I found Handcent to glitchy. I've tried it three different times in the last ten months and always end up back with SMS pop-up. Smoother pop-ups and it's free too. Handcent would display older, previously viewed, messages when I unlocked the screen. Some messages had to be deleted in the stock messanger to get rid of them.
SMS Pop-up has less customization, but maybe that's what causes the problems with Handcent.

Weird... I've never had any of those problems. Then again, I don't use the pop-up notification since people don't know who I'm hanging out with and are likely to text something that may piss off whoever I'm next to who just might be looking at my phone. But none of the old or un-deleteable messages like you described.

CharlesA03

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I love HandCent, but I've been having some problems with it today. Seems kinda slow and has FC'd a few times.

Anyone else having an issue today?

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I like Handcent as well, but now I'm using Google Voice to send most of my text messages.

I do not believe there is a way to send and receive my GV texts via Handcent.

boos1906

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok well I'm pretty sure there is a way to set it past past 200 messages before it starts deleting them. How do I do this

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I love HandCent, but I've been having some problems with it today. Seems kinda slow and has FC'd a few times.

Anyone else having an issue today?

I've only ever noticed HandCent getting slow when I haven't cleaned up apps with my Task Killer in a while. Also, whenever it asks me if I want to FC, I just click Wait and it's always good to go.

Ok well I'm pretty sure there is a way to set it past past 200 messages before it starts deleting them. How do I do this

I've never even heard of that. That's weird. In fact, my first thread in the list is at 214 today and I just perused the settings and couldn't find anything related to that.

Wizzums#AC

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

It's likely your stock messaging app that's doing this. If you open your stock messaging app and hit Menu -> Settings, the top options should be for storage. Make sure the first one "Delete old messages" is UNCHECKED. By default, I believe it deletes all threads that get to 200 messages.

StraightWisdom

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a must have app.. The last time I updated is when the dev. added the new widget, but i haven't updated after that. I've read about people complaining about bugs and what not.. but the version I'm on is perfect so I don't plan on another update unless something major comes up..

This great on my EVO with Froyo.

Downrange

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Ive been using Handcent for about 3 weeks now HEAVILY without one single problem. I love it. I also have to give props to the EVO's stock messenger too. If customization didn't matter to me, i'd be using the stock messenger. I really like its "twitter-like" look.

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to set how many messages you can have. I realized today I have hundreds of messages for each conversation. is there a way to set the limit at say 200 in handsent OR do i need to set this on the stock text program ?