New application - Smart GPS Alarm

Nearbear

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

i have created new application Smart GPS Alarm. You just simply set the location where you want to be notified and Smart GPS Alarm will do the rest.
Please check it out and let me know what do you think about it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=cz.nearbear.alarrrm.free&token=bZXy7GTT

changelog:

- added option to set alarm as one-time only
- alarm dismissed only after click on dismiss button

- added info window to google map marker
- added administrative area and country code to map search results

- fixed crash when updating app

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-16-21-20-58.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-16-21-20-58.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_2013-06-16-21-15-36.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-16-21-15-36.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 51
  • cz.nearbear.alarrrm.free2.png
    cz.nearbear.alarrrm.free2.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for developing such a useful app. I had geostrings in my webos phones and used it all the time. Location based reminders really help me not to forget to do something.

If you don't mind me asking, how does your app differ from the Google now location based reminders?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Nearbear

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, how does your app differ from the Google now location based reminders?

Well, it is pretty similar, but unlike the Google Now, my app is available for Android 2.3 and newer. Next thing is as far as i know, you can't edit google now location reminder once set.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Also the Google Now notifications don't work in all countries.

Can you integrate it with the Maps app instead of the Web version? This would make faster and smoother selections.

I set a few alarms for testing during my daily commute. I'll let you know tonight how it went.

Posted via Android Central App

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about that, by no means I'm a programmer, just a regular ol' user.

I don't get the same information within your app as what I get through the Maps app.

For example, within your app I only get street names without any other info, I can't make any searches. Where as in maps I get a ton of other information.

The free app consumes a lot of battery, I understand this is normal with free apps updating the adds. Is there any noticeable difference between the free and paid version?

So far the app is working very well. I'm going to get the paid version to support your work. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Nearbear

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm going to improve the map searching.

Regarding power compsumption: I'll try to work it out, but the problem is, when there is some close target, i need to do location updates quite often so the target is not missed. This drains battery of course. On my device it takes about 5 - 14% of battery consumption, depending on how close my reminders are.

At this time the only difference between paid and free version are ads. Ad cache takes few MB of space.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I took screen shots to show you how the maps differ. Can't upload them from the AC app, will do it later from my computer.

If the proximity drains battery, the locations should default to inactive or have an option in the settings for them to deactivate after they have been satisfactorily completed.

I had 6 test locations and I noticed that they remained active, so I deactivated them manually.

Nearbear

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I have released an update in which I added an option to automaticaly disable alarm after first notification. There is an checkbox for it at alarm detail screen.
In next update I plan to enhance the map search...

EDIT:

I have tried to get map search results similar to search from http://maps.google.com but it's not that simple. So I can't promise it will be working that way. Anyhow, if you use more specific query (for example with country code) you will find the same places as in web version.

EDIT2:

Released another version which has administrative area and country code in maps search results, hope it helps

Last edited:

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for adding the one alert check box.

These are the screen shots I took of the same corner, this is an example of what I can see on Maps and what I can see on SGPSA.

I did some address query testing and it's not working. First I queried on Maps (mobile and PC versions) to make sure that the local information is available, then I went over to SGPSA and didn't get any results. I also tried looking for specific businesses like KFC and Ikea and I got back results for USA and Germany.

I checked and I am on version 1.04, will reset my phone and try again.

***EDIT***
Forgot to mention that the tests were done over WiFi and data connections with the GPS on and off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-20-17-06-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-20-17-06-09.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2013-06-20-17-06-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-20-17-06-51.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1