What Droid App Is Missing?

OldPalmUser

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi OldPalmUser, to answer your question.

2. UNIVERSAL CUT/COPY & PASTE
The ability to copy an address or sentence out of a text message or email, (not the entire message, only the portion you need) and paste it into a contact, or paste it into a memo or task field, or it into Google maps. Or Copy part of a to-do list item and paste it into a spreadsheet, or copy a value out of a spreadsheet cell and paste it into an email etc.

Answer: Most of the current Android phones have the above features built in. Not sure which Android phone that you currently have. If you want to copy/paste within an app or option, what you need to do is long-press on the info you are trying to cut/copy. Then do the same thing where you are trying to paste. It should work, although, it's not straight forward.

No, cut/copy paste is not universal, you can not copy/paste from anywhere to anywhere, it is severly limited, you can only copy/paste from or to certain fields in certain apps, you cannot copy from a text message instance, you can from an email I found buried deep in the menu, and google added an iPhone like text selection feature to the browser but it's not universal through out the phone accross all apps. You cannot copy or paste or both in all apps.

And there is no way, in most cases, to select only what you want to copy, you can copy the entire thing only. In the few places (not browser) that you can copy, you do a long touch and a menu pops up asking if you want to "Copy All", no way to select only the text you want, it makes you select the entire paragraph/page/entry rather than selecting only what you want, such as an address or password from the message or data page.

And of course there is no Universal Search.

OldPalmUser

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi OldPalmUser, to answer your question.

Answer: I'm currently using this app - Gsyncit, to sync all of my contacts, calendar, & To-Do List on my HTC Droid Eris phone with my desktop MS Outlook app, wirelessly/real-time, I might add. Check it out at gSyncit - Microsoft Outlook / Google Sync to see if it is what you are looking for. It costs very little, but, works flawlessly once setup/config. At least for what I needed it for.

Thank you for this info.

OldPalmUser

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If I had to pick one thing, that was the most important thing to have it would be:
UNIVERSAL SEARCH
Search of the entire phone (not the internet), search through all your personal data, thru the contacts, notes, calendar, spreadsheets, memos, to-do lists, word processing files, SMS/MMS, thru every native apps, thru every 3rd party app data, anything and everything on your phone (not the internet) quickly and completely the way Palm OS did. Fast information retrieval of your personal data and databases is the most important and single most useful thing on this planet as far as PIM’s are concerned.

Android_IPA

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
An app that provides hundreds of cool-*** icons and does not require any other apps in order to use them.

An app that combines a wallet (credit card numbers safely encripted) with a vault for pix, videos, texts an emails plus an app lock.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
1. +1 for on unrooted device screen shots app...
2. Full Screen Caller ID - I have a app called the same name and it just seem uncomplete, I would love to have something like AC S2U2 full screen caller ID.
3. Full Screen Large Button Dialer - Customizable Preferred
I miss using my themes I did for PhonEX..

CleanEssance2.jpg
InCall1.jpg
post-509959-1268423481_thumb.jpg

OldPalmUser

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
thanks
But correct me if i'm wrong,but i think skype is only available for verizon phones.
No, Verizon loads a piece of bunkware on the phone called Skype, but it's not, it doesn't realy make wifi calls over the internet, it just uses the phone to make regular phone calls, it just let's people think they are using skype. You cannot use it, for instance, to make a wifi internet call from regions or countries where you don't have regular Verizon phone service, so what good is it. It serves no useful purpose.

OldPalmUser

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
An app that provides hundreds of cool-*** icons and does not require any other apps in order to use them.

An app that combines a wallet (credit card numbers safely encripted) with a vault for pix, videos, texts an emails plus an app lock.

Those silly boring ICONs are the biggest waste of time and space anyone ever came up with, a detailed list of apps is far more efficient.

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
i have a good one. how about an all in one contacting app. Something that could incorporate texting, emails, facebook, twitter, gtalk, etc (you get the idea). not all of the communication apps but the more popular and most used. if i had an all in one thing like that and it would give me notifications so that one i clicked on it the app would open and i would have all of my messages from different sources it would be amazing.

+1 on this

I think BlackBerry's Social Feed or even SocialScope would be a good example of how this can work well. When you think about it, I really don't care what medium someone uses to contact me (email, sms, gtalk, facebook twitter, etc), I just need to know WHO it was and WHY. Having one feed for all of my contact items (with the ability to open and view the information) would be pretty cool.

karmiccalamity

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
#3, hit Companionlink's site. I use my old Palm Desktop and sync to my Droid directly. No clouds. Lots of choices, they're the best.

One more to add: a numeric keypad/keyboard replacement for when you're in spreadsheets. It is downright stupid to use a row of frickin' numbers at the top of the screen for serious numeric work. Nor do any of the keyboards I've seen have even embedded numeric keypads.

SwiftKey keyboard does!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
A Call Recorder and a complete Volume Controller where speakerphone can have its own control seperate from earpiece volume control.

Example form the PalmOS Garnet days a Call Recorder App called "CallRecord" and Volume Controller was called "Volume Care Pro"

A media player that would play more formats similiar to "TCPMP"

A backup Program that could save all preferences and complete image and restore identical image the same way "NVBackup" could.

A Spell checker like "LexSpell" would also be nice.

These are all from PalmOS Garnet - Thanks for your consideration!

timely

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Distance Measurer

I want to measure out distances of 25 ft. in my yard to mark where to plant some trees. It would be great if there were an app that would do that fairly accurately. The only things I found either used coarse location measurements or they were literally a picture of a ruler on the screen. (It takes a lot of EVO lengths to get to 25 ft.)

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
2 requests:
1) Pink Pad for the Android (Alt12 Apps) it keeps saying that is "coming soon." Where is it?
2) an App that incorporates all kinds of emoticons. I like Android, but the emoticon features are horrid. I want regular emoticons when I open my keyboard, eBuddy, or any other IM service. Possibly increasing the emoticons to include more than just facial expressions - thumbs up, heart, etc.

RevMen

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
+1 on this

I think BlackBerry's Social Feed or even SocialScope would be a good example of how this can work well. When you think about it, I really don't care what medium someone uses to contact me (email, sms, gtalk, facebook twitter, etc), I just need to know WHO it was and WHY. Having one feed for all of my contact items (with the ability to open and view the information) would be pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure BlackBerry's stock inbox does this. I know on my 9700 I got e-mail (from all accounts), sms, gtalk, voicemail, and Facebook in the inbox. I never tried to add Twitter.

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
What's missing is an app that will record streaming audio. In fact Froyo remains severely lacking in any kind of hi-quality audio recording. I sure hope Gingerbread brings some audio improvement to Android OS.