Best Bible App for Android?

Scuzzelbutt

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations on trolling on a thread clearly for those who value the bible. Post reported as violation of forum Terms of Service.

This isn't a bible forum, the description of the forum is:

"Android Applications Discuss applications you've found in the marketplace, a list of commonly used apps, read/write mini reviews, ask questions, and get answers."

I suggested two Android apps, don't like them? Don't use them. :p

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
The poster came onto a thread clearly about Android Bible Applications and recommended 2 apps that are both of atheist origin and both mock the Bible. That violates the TOS of the forum (harassing post, rude post). Hence the TOS violation, The moderators concurred and removed the post.

And judging by the newest post from that poster, he needs to read the TOS for Android Central forums.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Tony, Cadre looks very interesting! That might be my work around until Laridian gets it done. (And they need to hope that it isn't better!) Lots of free choices to try out, so we'll see. Thanks for that, hadn't seen it before. The i_____...mentioned above is a no go. You have to buy the platform in order to see anything at all.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I imagine if enough of us ask the Cadre people we can get the translations we are looking for (in my case I'd like the New King James).

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I've always had the YouVersion (then again, I'm rarely without a signal) because I think it is the same one I used to have on BB and it has always worked well for me (I love the enormous selection of translations available). Since I grabbed that one early on, I haven't really looked for any others. Maybe I'll have to check them out. Lots of votes for Olive Tree and Cadre, it looks like...

-SR-

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Yep, Cadre wins for now. Very nice, easy to navigate, some good free choices to try out before you drop cash. NAS is available, btw, maybe recent showup? Laridian may be too late, tho' I really like those guys.

watersrules

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
The poster came onto a thread clearly about Android Bible Applications and recommended 2 apps that are both of atheist origin and both mock the Bible. That violates the TOS of the forum (harassing post, rude post). Hence the TOS violation, The moderators concurred and removed the post.

And judging by the newest post from that poster, he needs to read the TOS for Android Central forums.

way to stand up! :)

watersrules

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm fortunate to typically always have signal so I use the YouVersion, but now I'll probably download something to my kindle app so I have it... I also use the Daily Bible widget which is cool cause I wake up to a verse notification

crairdin

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Be patient, the only decent one is yet to come. I couldn't stand Olive Tree....myBible, aka PocketBible, aka Laridian is the only one, and they're done now with the port for the iDiots, so now it's Android time. But there are only two of them. This was far and away the only Bible in Palm land, and it'll be here. Eventually.

Thanks for mentioning us. You can keep up with our Android progress at our blog. A few things we can tell you about PocketBible for Android right now: It will not require an internet connection to read the Bible. Once a book is downloaded it's on your device and you don't need the internet connection. All the Bibles and reference books we have have for iPhone and Windows Mobile will be available for Android from day one.

The program will sync its notes, highlights, and bookmarks back to our server and from there you can sync to other platforms so you'll be able to move data from wherever you have it currently to your Android phone. And since PocketBible for Windows also syncs to the server, you can create/edit notes there where you have a full keyboard, then sync to your phone.

Somebody mentioned the NAB -- got it. Somebody mentioned programs with lots of free Bibles -- got those too. We have a great selection of Bibles and reference books, and quite a few are free. We also have lots of devotional books and nice devotional tracking features for keeping track of your progress.

We plan to ship a version of PocketBible for Android as soon as its viable, then do a series of regular updates as we add features and bring it up to full speed.

Thanks for your interest.

Craig Rairdin
President
Laridian, Inc.

Reactions: hummingbirdhill

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Can't you download some translations off of youversion and store them on your sd card to read offline too?

Haven't heard of some of these apps but I'm going to check them out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's an OS specific thing, but I have used YouVersion for a long time, and they have various translations that can be dl'ed to your SD card for offline mode. I have like three translations myself. Some of them cost a little bit, but now and then they run specials where you can download a translation for free. I also use Bible.is for audio Bible, but frankly, with YouVersion offering that now too, I haven't found a need to use another program besides YouVersion.

Jeffmac

May 17, 2011
Visit site
You can do some really nice stuff with Youversion and it does support offline translations so you don't have to have a net connection to run it.

The thing that is appealing to me about MySword is the supporting materials that are available. To be able to click on a word in a translation and see what the Greek or Hebrew word behind it is and its definition can be very useful. I also like having access to classic biblical commentaries and they are linked to the verse so if you were reading Ephesians 3:1 and switched to a commentary it would already be on that verse.

my sword can be used as a pure reading app but it really shines when you are studying the bible.

northbynorthwest

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I personally like Logos Bible Software's new app. With the free account its easily as good as Olive Tree or MySword if not better. It has all the same supporting materials like seeing a translation in the greek or hebrew. Logos also has a passage guide that links everything together including commentaries, the greek and hebrew, and other translations all in one place which I think makes it functionally better than the others.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
hey all

let me add to the thread by suggesting, recommending, and affirming Tecarta's NIV BIble with a caveat. I bought it a year ago which included NIV84. Later they forced the NIV2010 but at least you also had NIV84. For $5.99 you get the NIV downloaded, offline.

It reads great, has the following options: low light reading, font selection, red letter, verse selection on/off, etc. Some, according to the market, have complained that NIV84 is gone. I thought so too because i ported it over to a new phone.

You need to find your old data files in a folder labelled "31" and put it in the tecarta folder to get it back. I wonder if I can attach it as a .zip for people having trouble with this. NIV84 is folder "31" and NIV2010 is "32." Amazing program.

update: here's the zip for those needing it who have purchased the program and lost the file for whatever reason: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L5UJS2FO

Last edited:

Kenneth Reed

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The link is dead can you reupload it somewhere?

hey all

let me add to the thread by suggesting, recommending, and affirming Tecarta's NIV BIble with a caveat. I bought it a year ago which included NIV84. Later they forced the NIV2010 but at least you also had NIV84. For $5.99 you get the NIV downloaded, offline.

It reads great, has the following options: low light reading, font selection, red letter, verse selection on/off, etc. Some, according to the market, have complained that NIV84 is gone. I thought so too because i ported it over to a new phone.

You need to find your old data files in a folder labelled "31" and put it in the tecarta folder to get it back. I wonder if I can attach it as a .zip for people having trouble with this. NIV84 is folder "31" and NIV2010 is "32." Amazing program.

update: here's the zip for those needing it who have purchased the program and lost the file for whatever reason: NOTICE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante