Definition of Access Requests from Apps

rinnr1

Press ALT-F4 to see nudes
May 12, 2010
Visit site
So I've been reading on some Malware in the market I was wondering if there was a definition or index of what each access request is.

For example I updated Multicon Widget and it requested access to change my Wifi State.. Why does an App that just puts 4 smaller icons in the single icon area need to change my Wifi State?

If there isn't I think it would be a good Android 101 or a sticky or something that would allow people to reference when installing Apps.

Last edited:

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
There's a GREAT small application, aSpotCat, that will show you what applications have which permissions.

What it also does is outline what permissions are dangerous, why, etc. It's a good resource to look at to get an idea about permissions.

I found it handy when trying to track down what applications had permissions to keep my phone from sleeping for example.

Here's an article explaining some of the basic permissions:

Understanding the Android Market security system

I wish Android had a better way for developers to list why applications need certain permissions. Granted malicious ones could just lie.

When in doubt just email the developer. I've emailed several developers to ask why their application needed X permission. Most will respond to help clear things up, but still it'd be nice to have.

I agree that a very detailed listing of what each permission allows would be an AWESOME resource and make a great addition to the website.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure multicon requests the WiFi state because the latest release has a toggle you can add to one of the mini-icons for it. He said if it works fine he'll be adding the other toggles for GPS and stuff but right now its just the WiFi toggle.

AnywAys that's why multicon needs that permission. And its in the release notes which I always check before upgrading...